Can I use Overkill 8S BMS for 4S batteries?

TrollingBattery

I just received my 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries from Aliexpress. I purchased 8 sets and as far as I can tell they are performing slightly better than rated (I charged them with RC balanced charger that had Ah counter).

I currently have 12V trolling motor, but I might upgrade it later to a 24V trolling motor. I really want to get the Overkill BMS, but if I have to change my configuration, from 12V to 24V it will be another expensive BMS purchase. Does anybody have any experience with 8S BMS and “deactivate” 4 of the batteries? Will that work? i.e. using 8S BMS in 4S config?

thanks!

D

Deleted member 23531

You should really email them. I don't see why not in a hardware sense. It's only if they need to provide software support for this. I think they may already support this and you just connect the extra leads to the battery (+) but you should really read the Overkill PDF and email them to get an answer.

A.Justice

Swears he didn't start that fire.
If you get a response from Overkill, please post. I am interested as well.

HRTKD

Boondocker
As far as I know, the Overill Solar 8s BMS requires eight cells.

When you see a BMS listed with a variable number of cells, that's how you can tell it works with different cell configurations.

4s, 8s, 16s : It works with those exact numbers of cells.
4-8s, 8-16s : Variable numbers of cells within the specified range.

cinergi

1.21 Jigawatts
I asked them a couple months ago.. their response:

There are only a few valid configurations.
The 4s can do 3 cells, the 8s can do 10,9,8,or 7. Not sure about the 16s.