diy solar

diy solar

Can I wire 3 panels together to go into my MPPT

OverThinkingIt

I upgraded from a PWM to a MPPT. So far in mostly full sun (some clouds) my MPPT does 6.8 amps and 12.9 volts out of 3 x 100w panels.... sadness?

I'm wondering if the fact that I have my panels in Parallel is the issue? I read something like that.

Should I / Can I hook these 3 in Series?

The MPPT says it take max input 100v... I assume the whole point of the MPPT is that whatever you put in it will be outputted to the proper voltage?

Here is the MPPT https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GK8NSRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"EPEVER MPPT 40A Solar Charge Controller, 40 Amp Charge Regulator 12V/24V Auto Max 100V Input Negative Grounded Controller with LCD Display for Gel Sealed Flooded Lithium Battery Charging"

Specs for the panels in attached image. They are close.. two are the same brand the third is different brand. All 100w 12v.

Follow up. According to this fella I don't need to fuse the panels if I go in series.

"If the Short Circuit Current of the solar array is less than the Maximum Series Fuse Rating of the solar panel, the array does NOT need to be fused. Fusing this type of array adds no additional protection or benefit"

Any help gratefully accepted.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
FLD... I assume that means Flooded Lead... anyway... I think it's all working? What do you think of these numbers. See pics.

1. It's 4:30 here in Austin
2.5 Manually Turned off LOAD on controller.
2. Panels are mounted Flat
3. I went up there and wired them in Series and removed all the fuses. Much more elegant.
4. Batteries are Trojan T-105s
5. My 1000w/2000w Peak pure sine inverter is on along with my Magic Chef Slighly large Mini Fridge. I know. They're hogs but it charge up and ran for a week straight with my older PWM and Costco batts. I guess Just... I would wake up to 12.2v

IMG_9724.jpgIMG_9722.jpgIMG_9723.jpgIMG_9718.jpgIMG_9721.jpgIMG_9720.jpg

I upgraded from a PWM to a MPPT. So far in mostly full sun (some clouds) my MPPT does 6.8 amps and 12.9 volts out of 3 x 100w panels.... sadness?

I'm wondering if the fact that I have my panels in Parallel is the issue? I read something like that.

The MPPT says it take max input 100v... I assume the whole point of the MPPT is that whatever you put in it will be outputted to the proper voltage?

Here is the MPPT https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GK8NSRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"EPEVER MPPT 40A Solar Charge Controller, 40 Amp Charge Regulator 12V/24V Auto Max 100V Input Negative Grounded Controller with LCD Display for Gel Sealed Flooded Lithium Battery Charging"

Specs for the panels in attached image. They are close.. two are the same brand the third is different brand. All 100w 12v.

Follow up. According to this fella I don't need to fuse the panels if I go in series.

"If the Short Circuit Current of the solar array is less than the Maximum Series Fuse Rating of the solar panel, the array does NOT need to be fused. Fusing this type of array adds no additional protection or benefit"

View attachment 63682
You have a good MPPT charge controller, since you just have three 100W solar panel you want wire then in series, by specifications as per epever maximum input voltage shouldn't exceed 72Volt and maxi wattage from panel shouldn't exceed 520W(for 12V system ) on that charge controller and 1040W for 24volt System for same charge controller, if u wired it paneling in series you 54V and a current of 30Amp and your panel not up to 300W in practice.

Last edited:
No, in series the amps are limited to the lowest amp panel (5.58A)
This theoretically but t ry what I said, wiring all three panel in series, thank me later, reason for MPPT controller is to play around the voltage so I can get max current,

View attachment 63682
Hook it in series, dnt get confused, advantage of MPPT charge controller is ability to play with the you input voltage to get max. current, u dnt need fuse make sure all connection and tight special on the charge controller . See attached specifications sheets.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210908-003329.jpg
    Screenshot_20210908-003329.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 5
Question...I'm doing same thing....Swapping PWM for MPPT.....I have three 140w panels on top of travel trailer and sometime one panel is shaded by airconditioner.....If put in series, wouldn't I lose all pwer when that panel is shaded? Currently panels are in parallel with Bogart controller......

If put in series, wouldn't I lose all pwer when that panel is shaded?
Probably. Some panels have the cells wired differently so that shading a row is different than shading a column. But with series the loss can be 75%.

The trick you have if you put your panels in parallel is to make sure that the volts are high enough to start the MPPT. This is usually around 5V (called headroom) above battery charge voltage. Some say that once started it only needs 2V headway but that should all be avoided to allow the MPPT to function optimally.
So look at your panels Vmp and your SCC's input voltage range (and MPPT "optimal" range if given).

Has anyone figured out how to wire up some type of switch so you could switch back and forth between parallel and series as the conditions warrant

Back