diy solar

diy solar

Can it be done?

128bits

Hi everyone!

I was thinking to use solar panel to directly charge my electric vehicle battery, is this feasible? Are there any factors that I will need to consider by doing this? I understand that the efficiency of this method isn't much but I just want to learn and explore it.

Ultimately I hope by doing so, my electric vehicle can achieve more mileage. Please help me out and I want to learn from all of you.

Thank you.

You're still going to need a charge controller to even out the voltage swings from the panels, batteries to power the charge controller, and an inverter to take it up to a voltage your car can use. So in short, no. You can't just plug a solar panel into the car charger port.

You're still going to need a charge controller to even out the voltage swings from the panels, batteries to power the charge controller, and an inverter to take it up to a voltage your car can use. So in short, no. You can't just plug a solar panel into the car charger port.
Hi,

Thank you for your response, appreciated it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. From my understanding of an inverter like you mentioned, It basically converts DC from the solar panel to AC. Assuming I want to charge the EV battery using DC, can I not use the inverter to charge it?

Based on the diagram below, can it be done?

1632892163997.png

Hi,

Please correct me if I'm wrong. From my understanding of an inverter like you mentioned, It basically converts DC from the solar panel to AC. Assuming I want to charge the EV battery using DC, can I not use the inverter to charge it?

View attachment 66813

The cheapest, simplest, but not very powerful method to charge your EV is to use an All in One system.

There's a multitude of YouTube videos on charging a Tesla with an "All in One" system like a Jackery or a Bluetti. Example:

You can size up that method and use a larger Bluetti AC200Max with 900 Watts of Solar or a AC300 with 2400 Watts of Solar.

However, those cheap methods would use Level 1 Charging. I think that's something like 6 amps.

You could build a 240V, 35 amp charging system for an EV like Will has done here, but then you are looking at a much higher investment.

Uuuhhh, someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't EV's only charge via AC? I don't have one so I don't know for sure, but that would be a HHUUGGEE inverter for the people who install them in their garages.

Uuuhhh, someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't EV's only charge via AC? I don't have one so I don't know for sure, but that would be a HHUUGGEE inverter for the people who install them in their garages.

The Level 1 chargers that come free with electric vehicles plug into standard AC 110V plugs.

If you want Level 2 charging or higher, then for a Tesla you need a 240V AC receptacle. Other cars sometimes require custom AC charging boxes that can only be purchased from the car company.

Hi,

View attachment 66813
As a noob I would say that your model is correct. Check the battery voltage of your car; connect solar panels with a total open voltage over the full-charge voltage of your battery; gatekeep the energy flow with a charge controller because I believe If the voltage of the panel is lower (eg. shadows) the battery sends current to the panel. Fuse indeed always for safety and I'd expect you are ready to go. Also check the full-charge voltage of the battery and program the controller to stop charge over that point. Inverter necessary for those EV batteries that operate at >48V; only that then you'll have to cut off charge manually (for small panels probably seldom necessary).

I think I am just providing the same answer Rednecktek does but with just some extra miscellanea.

Back