diy solar

diy solar

Can "New Posts" exclude Off-Topic section?

wattmatters

Solar Wizard
When browsing the forum I use the "New Posts" button regularly. I find it a time efficient way to quickly check the forum for topics of interest to me.

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 8.05.47 am.png

But I would very much prefer for the resulting list to exclude anything from the Off-Topic sections of the forum.

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 8.07.11 am.png

This stuff just clutters up the list with topics which, frankly, can be annoying to even see the titles of.

Is there a way to do this?

My 2c
I think this is a reasonable suggestion/ask.
If the chit chat section is to remain for the most part an unmoderated, anything-goes space, and continues in the direction its currently going in of being less chit-chat and mostly yet another place to incessantly argue and talk past (and insult) one another about politics, covid, one's favorite pet conspiracy theory, etc, it could at least be prevented from overshadowing and distracting from all the solar related, meaningful, constructive, ON TOPIC, conversations on this forum that most of us are here for. This would also help prevent toxic tone from radiating out into other areas of the forum, and keep it somewhat contained to people that deliberately choose to go to that subforum, while not curtailing anyone's privilege to post there. I do not know if what you propose is technically feasible with the forum software or not.

Last edited:
Please, please do this. As much as I'm on this site and clicking the "New Posts" link, I'd love it if Chit Chat topics were not shown.

Last edited:
Or make a "Dark Room" section that isn't listed to start with. Seen that work to "some" extent, but once Twaddle starts and gets a foothold, it is insidious and hard to isolate.

Or make a "Dark Room" section that isn't listed to start with. Seen that work to "some" extent, but once Twaddle starts and gets a foothold, it is insidious and hard to isolate.
Define "Twaddle" Please

I agree. In another forum, you have to go to the chit chat/current events/politics section if you want to play.

Otherwise, it’s on topic posts. Works great. Just exclude it from new posts.

Politics, Religion, Race, Gender "Stuff" the standard issue toxins... Like the Anti-Vaxers etc.... WTH... Thought I was talking about raising Daisies... Or how to Harvest Snowflakes ?

Reactions: Dzl
Politics, Religion, Race, Gender "Stuff" the standard issue toxins... Like the Anti-Vaxers etc.... WTH... Thought I was talking about raising Daisies... Or how to Harvest Snowflakes ?
From my point of view I would add Xenophobia to that list, particularly anti-Chinese ironically. And pro gun stuff is a bit weird/distasteful to most Europeans.

So it seems that this was implemented recently. I'm not seeing Chit Chat noise when I click on New Posts.

Thanks to those that made this happen!

Reactions: Dzl
Back