diy solar

diy solar

Can Pylontech battery be used without BMS link to inverter and if so, what are recommended inverter settings?

chris65

Hi,

I’m thinking about buying a Pylontech US2000C lithium battery. Does anyone know if this battery will work if the BMS comms link isn’t connected? The problem I have is that my inverter doesn’t support the BMS link. I currently use lead acid batteries but they are losing efficiency at a faster rate than I expected due to the high cycle rates with home solar, so I would be keen to switch to lithium if possible.

If the Pylontech does accept charge from the inverter, then the next concern I have is being able to set the system up so that the battery is not damaged or life reduced in any way due the absence of BMS feedback to the inverter. I accept that charging efficiency may be compromised due to not having the link and trying to set limits using the inverter, but happy to live with that if it keeps me on the safe side with the battery life.

My inverter is an 48V Iconica 4000W and has a number of adjustable variables that may allow me to connect the lithium battery safety, these being: Max charge current, voltage setpoint to switch back to utility, Bulk charging voltage, floating charge voltage, Low DC cut off voltage and bulk charging time. Can anyone give me some advice on what these variable parameters should be set to in order to work with a lithium battery without causing it damage?

Thanks in advance for any information. I’m a newbie learning the hard way. My intention was to build a cheap DIY home system, but I should have done a bit more research and paid a bit extra money to set up a lithium battery system from day1. I wish I had found this forum sooner.

I’m thinking about buying a Pylontech US2000C lithium battery. Does anyone know if this battery will work if the BMS comms link isn’t connected?
Yes
But I believe that Pylontech batteries are 15 cell, not the standard 16 cell. For that reason, i can't recommend them.

Back