diy solar

diy solar

Can SMA SUNNY BOY SB10000TLUS-10 208V SINGLE OR 3 PHASE STRING INVERTER SOLAR be used in US residential 120V/240V system?

George_Moore

Can SMA SUNNY BOY SB10000TLUS-10 208V SINGLE OR 3 PHASE STRING INVERTER SOLAR be used in US residential 120V/240V grid-tied system?
The SB10000TLUS-10 specs indicate it can be configured for 240V single phase output. (edit: I got more info, thank you very much. NEW ones indicate this. I was going to buy one, but I don't know if it is new enough. Others reading this, be careful.)
It looks like it can be used in US residential 120V/240V systems, but when I went to buy it it has a warning that it is not for a 120V/240V system.
Well, I see it is not 120V, but then can't it still be used on a grid tied system by tying to the 240V? Is that not allowed? (Edit: the version I was buying might not have been able to be configured for anything except 208V in which case my 120/240V system won't work.)

Why would SMA make a 240V single phase option if it can't be used on the grid? (answer: The 240V system will work, but the warning pplies to older 208V systems. They can't be used on 120V/240V systems due to the inability to sync the phase.)
What am I missing here?
(edit: I meant, it doesn't seem reasonable that SMA made a residential system that can't be tied to the grid. It turns out, this can be used just fine, IF the unit is one of the new ones that can be configured for 240V single phase. The older ones only have L1, L2, and Neutral, which I believe means it won't work on my system. But that means the designation of 208V three phase may be incorrect. 208V three phase has 3 legs, L1,L2,L3, and provides 240V single phase from L1 to L3. Using L1 and L2 and neutral is sometimes (misleadingly) called 208V dual phase or double phase or two phase, all of which are not really accurate. It could be called split phase, too.
As far as I can tell, a true three phase L1, L2, L3 system could be wired to 240V even if it did not have the specific option to set a switch to make it 240V by using L1 and L3 to the 240V main with L2 being the high (wild) leg. BUT this one can't. So, anyone with a similar question, just check the specs and the installation manual, and make sure your electrician does too. Make sure your version is new enough to support your grid configuration.)

Last edited:
Why would SMA make a 240V single phase option if it can't be used on the grid?
What am I missing here?
Because SMA is not interested in dealing with DIYers or Hobbyist. They don't want you using there Single Phase 240V on a Split Phase Grid system using an Autotransformer. SMA bread and butter is doing large projects. About 3 Months ago they finished putting in about 40 x 25Kw three phase Inverters at a plant a few miles from my house. I have had lots of dealings with them and they are not flexible or even tolerant of DIY usage of their equipment. They prefer SMA certified installers to put them in.

Thanks for mentioning the autotransformer. (Edit: My misconception. IF this was the model with 240V there would be no problem. It isn't. As Pyrofx says below, it is 2 wire 208V. I can't use it.)
I live in California, if that makes a difference for regulations. (edit: Tying to 240V is typical, if this had it. This 208V system won't work for me, but not so much because of regulations, but rather because of the way electricity works. Regulations too, of course. The regulations don't approve of doing something really wrong to begin with. ;) )
As Robby the photon vampire indicates, SMA is not very helpful. A tech there said "Yes, these have 240V output", and sent me a spec that indicates the 10k version does not, but the 12k version does. This model has been discontinued for at least 5 years as of 2022. I have no idea how the one I was going to get is in stock where I was planning on getting it, but I am no longer interested in it.

Last edited:
OK, it looks like this would be easy, if I was buying the latest model. The new ones are not just 2 wire European.
The new spec indicates "Now with 240V"
I don't think I am looking at the newer version. Thanks @Pyrofix. I'm sure I don't want to get the type that has 2 wire European output.
In fact, I think I'll skip it and go with something else.

Last edited:
Because SMA is not interested in dealing with DIYers or Hobbyist. They don't want you using there Single Phase 240V on a Split Phase Grid system using an Autotransformer. SMA bread and butter is doing large projects. About 3 Months ago they finished putting in about 40 x 25Kw three phase Inverters at a plant a few miles from my house. I have had lots of dealings with them and they are not flexible or even tolerant of DIY usage of their equipment. They prefer SMA certified installers to put them in.
Thanks, you are right, I'm sure. In this case, the model I want to buy does not have the new designation of being able to handle 240V, and only handles 208V "dual" phase. I think I will just go with something else and save the headaches. :)
Thanks for mentioning the autotransformer.

Pretty sure its 220 with 2 wire European not 3 wire USA
You are right. It only has L1, L2 (the high delta or wild leg) and Neutral out. Rats. New models can be configured as 240V, but apparently not the model I was going to buy.

Back