diy solar

diy solar

Can Solar & Wind Fix Everything (e.g., Climate Change) with a battery break-through?

This one really is hysterical .... Murphy posted a horse shit story where he single handedly destroyed his neighbors' pond .... and an irrelevant story about his experience in the automotive industry .... liked a few things svetz posted .... and suddenly he has helped debunk a lot of misinformation ... :ROFLMAO: :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Oh .... and I almost forgot .... a conspiracy theory about how airplane chem trails are preventing global warming.
Chem trails? Chem trails are your f*cked up world.

Airliners leave vapor trails of condensed water vapor genius. Those condensed water trailers act like clouds and reflect sunlight back into space the same way a cloud does. A single aircraft is insignificant, but thousands upon thousands 24 hours a day seem to have an effect.

You seriously need medical help.. there is something very wrong with you.

Airliners leave vapor trails of condensed water vapor genius. Those condensed water trailers act like clouds and reflect sunlight back into space the same way a cloud does. A single aircraft is insignificant, but thousands upon thousands 24 hours a day seem to have an effect.

You are the one who is a legend in your own mind.

Not reading at this point, just copying and pasting links...

Not reading at this point, just copying and pasting links...

That's not what you see when you look up and an airplane is zipping over..

Chem Trails over farm fields.. Oh my!
crop-duster.jpg

That's not what you see when you look up and an airplane is zipping over..

Chem Trails over farm fields.. Oh my!
crop-duster.jpg
Wouldn't the plane over a farm field be crop dusting? Which is not as popular as it once was from what I understand.
I'm also aware of vapor trails from high altitude planes as well as dumping fuel from planes (see recent footage of Russian Jet V US drone).
I've always correlated atmospheric aerosol injection to 'chem trails'
I'm always open for some education, even if it won't change my mind about things ?.

For those interested, all of these are disproved in #827 & #828 ...snippet
Solar panels are not toxic. This is an emotional argument as "Toxic Waste" sounds dangerous. But really, it's a classification, here's the definition:
Toxic waste is any unwanted material in all forms that can cause harm. Mostly generated by industry, consumer products like televisions, computers,... are designated as toxic waste.
What the designation means is that the items should be recycled rather than tossed into a landfill. PV Solar panels that a solar farm would use don't have anything exotic in them (e.g., they're aluminum, silicone, copper, silver).

The article is also biased in that doesn't compare the waste from renewables to fossil fuels or the environmental damage they do (e.g., oil spills that devastate coastlines, radioactivity from coal, underground fires, leaky pipelines, train derailments polluting wide areas, or:

...40% of Americans—over 137 million people—are living in places with failing grades for unhealthy levels of particle pollution or ozone. This is 2.1 million more people breathing unhealthy air compared to last year’s report. Nearly 9 million more people were impacted by daily spikes in deadly particle pollution than reported last year. In the three years covered by this report, Americans experienced more days of “very unhealthy” and “hazardous” air quality than ever before in the two-decade history of “State of the Air." ref

So in comparing apples to apples, hopefully, it's obvious that the article is PR crap and demonstrates how some can fall prey to it.

Last edited:

Iron flow Batteries: What's the data on them?​

Still trying to figure out if this real or hype, they do look to be too good to be true. Is there an Achilles heel?

Breakthrough Energy Ventures, a fund established by Bill Gates and other investors concerned about climate change, has also backed ESS. The company sold its first product in 2015: a battery that enabled a California vineyard to store solar energy during the day and power an irrigation system in the evening.
So, they've been shipping product for several years.

...its shipping-container-size battery, which has a capacity of up to 500 kilowatt-hours...
Not as energy dense as LFP

Iron flow chemistry delivers 25 years or more with no capacity fade or degradation.

Took me a bit to figure the graph to the right out.

Those "full cycles" are per year over a 25-year lifespan.
That is the 6 hr version has a $/kWh of 3 cents at 650 full
discharge/recharges every year (i.e., twice a day for 25 years).
It's interesting that the value goes up the harder you use it.

The reason why 12 hours is less expensive than 6 is the magic of
flow-batteries in general, you're not adding more inverters or pumps
that increase capital costs, you're just putting more juice in the tanks.

The chart is from their website, not an independent analysis so take it
with a grain of salt.
6to12-hour-capitalcost-cyclecapability.png

ESS-performance-advantages-02.png

I agree iron redox won't go into thermal runaway, but any cell with water as an electrolyte can produce hydrogen gas if the cell voltage is too high.

ESS batteries are easy to site and safe to operate. Iron flow chemistry doesn’t use critical minerals such as vanadium, lithium, or cobalt, reducing the environmental impacts associated with the supply chain and reducing their lifecycle greenhouse gas footprint.

Non-toxic materials, so leaks won't cause environmental problems.

But is it a hoax? The Queensland testing centre just received one in December for testing. They're not alone, the company says they're back logged with orders. So hopefully, we'll see some real production information from a 3rd party soon (or possibly it's already out there and I missed it).

Here's proof the DOE is talking to them (That's the DOE Secretary of Energy talking to ESS's CEO). But that's not really proof of anything (cough Solyndra cough).
ESSINC_FactoryTour_granholm-credit-Business-Wire.jpg

The big downsides seem to be they're heavier, they don't have the storage of LFP per volume, they discharge 1%/d and have a lower round trip efficiency 70-75%. The chemistry isn't new, it's been long used in the telecom industry (aka Edison battery), what's new is turning it into a flow battery and the price. Guess we could always build one ; -)

Last edited:
Possibly not crazy... the Zinc Bromide flow battery is talked about as being 20¢ kWh. Also saw this:

This summer, ViZn Energy put out a press release that they could offer solar power 24/7 via its zinc iron flow battery solution at 4¢/kWh. This very low price – lowest I’ve personally seen – of 4¢/kWh for electricity from a battery system was made possible by strategically sizing their 30MW/120MWh battery with a 100MW solar power system in Arizona.
Still not sure I believe it, prices that low should have fossil fuels being rapidly phased out. So possibly it's theoretical costs versus actual costs.

Also discovered why I can't find LCOEs on them... LCOE is the Levelized cost of Electricity. Have to search for LCOS, the Levelized Cost of Storage. Iron hasn't been in the ones I've seen so far.

But, that still leaves a gap of how to look at the total costs holistically; so that takes me back to trying to figure out how much storage is needed to replace fossil fuels, probably somewhere between Musk and Michaux's estimates.

Last edited:
Another "sustainable" illusion

This climate change narrative will be undone just like covid BS, because in the end the truth always comes out.

Many automotive manufacturers, including Tesla, have made battery packs a structural part of the car to reduce cost products but have shifted costs to consumers and insurers when batteries need to be replaced.

Unless carmakers produce more easily repairable battery packs, there will be a growing number of low-mileage EVs scrapped after collisions.

"The number of cases is going to increase, so the handling of batteries is a crucial point," said Christoph Lauterwasser, managing director of the Allianz Center for Technology, a research institute owned by Allianz.
According to Lauterwasser, the production of EV batteries results in significantly higher CO2 emissions compared to conventional fossil-fuel models. Therefore, if these batteries are discarded with low mileage, it undermines the goal of promoting environmentally-friendly practices.

"If you throw away the vehicle at an early stage, you've lost pretty much all advantage in terms of CO2 emissions," he said.
Sandy Munro, head of Michigan-based Munro & Associates, which analyzes vehicles and advises automakers on how to improve them, said the Model Y battery pack has "zero repairability."

"A Tesla structural battery pack is going straight to the grinder," Munro said.
So much for the EV revolution and the green "circular economy" touted by carmakers, politicians, NGOs, and climate activists... These EVs appear even worse for the environment when compared with traditional petrol-powered vehicles.

Unless ofcourse the plan is to rid you of your personal transport, in which case all of this makes complete sense -first get rid of ICE cars because "climate change" and then get rid of EVs because "climate change".

For those interested, all of these are disproved in #827 & #828 ...snippet

These posts contain strawmen argument, similar to those that say lets get rid of cars because cars (like firearms) can also kill people.
Complete and utter baloney that does not address the fossil fuel input required to acquire the materials needed for them, amount of pollution that is produced while processing the materials, and finally the fact that they can not be recycled, so after EOL (20-25 years) there will be a HUUGE problem as these things will have to go to a land fill.

Is zerohedge a neutral site to be trusted?
Zero Hedge (or ZeroHedge) is a far-right libertarian financial blog and news aggregator [ref]
Guess not.
Conveniently forgotten in the article was that batteries from wrecked cars is that they get sold, disassembled, tested (hopefully) and then good cells are repacked and resold (see Second-life EV batteries) and bad cells are recycled.

These posts contain strawmen arguments [blah blah blah]...
ROFL

Who is zerohedge:

Conveniently forgotten in the article was that batteries from wrecked cars is that they get sold, disassembled, tested (hopefully) and then good cells are repacked and resold (see Second-life EV batteries) and bad cells are recycled.

ROFL

Stop being Murphy. ZH article links to Reuters article that i also posted.

And this is from dinosaur media. The problem is much worse when analyzed independently!

@svetz a lot of you entire argument chain depends on a whole bunch of "maybes" in the future with regard to things like production, recycling and storage. But the problem with that is that none of the maybes exist today, and may not exist by 2030, 2230 or ever.
The point is before we start cramming this stuff (replacing traditional energy with unicorn farts), it is a probably a good idea to have a solid, proven method. Until then its all pipe dream. And that is without taking into consideration the obsession of the parasites at the top to control everyone.

Yes there is waste, it's not all sunshine and rain. There's also recycling.

What you need to wake up to is the environmental damage is much smaller from panels than it is from fossil fuels.
See Hidden Costs of Fossil Fuels, oil spills, polluted groundwater, leaky gas pipes, land use and contamination from mining, railway spills, air pollution, radioactivity, and yes... even contributing to global warming. Those aren't things easily recycled or fixed.

This article calls for the mandatory recycling of solar panels, which I 100% agree with.

This might interest you too:
...solar panels contain toxic materials like lead that can leach out as they break down, landfilling also creates new environmental hazards.
You know where the lead is in a solar panel, right? It's mostly in the glass. So, it's the same issue as any window - it's not just a solar panels are introducing some new problem. How recyclable is that glass you ask... ~100%.

How dangerous is that lead in the glass?
if water is put into a 24% lead crystal glass it may take 10 years for enough lead to leach for it to be detectable.
Something with vinegar in it could reveal detectable levels in 20 minutes.
Not that panels are 24% leaded.... but that's why folks worry about glass in a landfill... it leaches out in acidic fluids.

Where does the acid come from? Acid Rain.

Where does the acid rain come from, oh right... fossil fuels. Get rid of fossil fuels and landfills around the world become safer.

You really need to read these and not just the headline.
They say it's a problem upcoming in 2035 and the headache is IF it ends up in landfills. So, another article calling for panels to be recycled rather than put into landfills.

@svetz a lot of you entire argument chain depends on a whole bunch of "maybes" in the future
You got that backwards dude... your logic chain is from PR media trying to get you to vote a particular way and your proofs are from articles you didn't even read through and typically point out the opposite of what you're saying.

I try to base my logic on observable facts and math that use current tech and sometimes include near-term tech. I'm not perfect and hope to hell that if I'm wrong someone points it out; but preferably with accurate information they actually read and understood from a trustworthy source or demonstratable math.

... before we start ...replacing traditional energy with unicorn farts... it is a probably a good idea to have a solid, proven method.
Absolutely agree. I just think we also need to look at the dangers and costs of the existing methods too. But that's what the studies and LCOEs are all about, proving how feasible it is, what we need to do to succeed, and understanding the costs. What the worldwide consensus is that we need to get off fossil fuels ASAP, that solar and wind do work, and that they do enormously less harm overall. That's why every nation on Earth (except Libia and a couple of other smaller countries) is working towards being net-neutral.

Last edited:
Yes there is waste, it's not all sunshine and rain. There's also recycling.

Already pointed out to you that current methods make recycling unsustainable. We dont have the tech to make it work on even medium scale, let alone "replace fossil fuel" scale.

What you need to wake up to is the environmental damage is much smaller from panels than it is from fossil fuels.
See Hidden Costs of Fossil Fuels, oil spills, polluted groundwater, leaky gas pipes, land use and contamination from mining, railway spills, air pollution, radioactivity, and yes... even contributing to global warming. Those aren't things easily recycled or fixed.

Another strawmen baloney. You have been told time and again that you need fossil fuel to mine/process/manufacture all the "green stuff". And to replace fossil fuel you need orders of magnitudes MORE fossil fuels, and you will need even MORE to replace "green stuff" as it reaches EOL

Just a tiny example of how unsustainable this whole BS is when faced with reality. And that is just tiny dumpster trucks in a city! Imagine all the heavy equipment used in construction/mining! And that is just a tiny part of the overall argument!

Bla Bla Bla

The rest is more baloney wishful thinking unicorn farts.
Your entire argument is "my sources are good (because they have been fact checked. The fact that fact checkers are part of corrupt establishment does not matter. The fact that official narrative is following corrupt handlers also doesnt matter. Trust me guys. All others who disagree with me are conspiracy theorists").
This is very tired argument, and the only good thing about Covid scam, is it finally exposed all these people. Which is why they are going overboard to censor dissenting opinion on the internet via various methods - labeling anyone who disagrees a denier, conspiracy theorist, or just outright shadowbanning/ blocking/ cancelling. Its the same exact tactic.

It wont work.

Already pointed out to you ... It wont work.
Solar, wind, and batteries all obviously work. After that, it's just economics, resources, and time. I know you think fossil fuels do no harm, that every argument that proves climate change is real is fake, and that we can't possibly replace fossil fuels with anything. And yet, we're doing it.

So, We'll have to agree to disagree. I know you don't like it, but the world is doing it anyway, and for very good reasons.

Last edited:
Solar, wind, and batteries all obviously work. After that, it's just economics, resources, and time. I know you think fossil fuels do no harm, that every argument that proves climate change is real is fake, and that we can't possibly replace fossil fuels with anything. And yet, we're doing it.
You just love the strawmen argument. Actually your argument is like saying "We can get to Alpha Centauri, its just economics, resources and time". I would also add knowledge aka tech (which we dont have for either Alpha Centauri or replacing traditional energy with renewables)
Ok here is again:

Solar and Wind can absolutely NOT replace traditional energy generation even if we magically solved the battery storage issue today. The reasons for that have already been listed in various links but to summarize it is economically and environmentally not feasible with current technology level (without sending 90% of civilization back to medieval times)

Last edited:
It wont work.
I think it is unfair to gang up on you so I have mostly been staying out of the conversation here, since Svetz is doing a much better job then I possibly could and has far more patience to boot.

Listen to what he has to say and is perfectly ok to have changed your mind in the light of new information.

Back