diy solar

diy solar

Can someone review my back up system design?

Also:

The 300A class T fuse will probably work but is a bit small (see above for discussion about breaker size. The same logic applies)
I switched out a 200A fuse for the 300A T class based on my and your previous discussion and from one of Will's videos. I can certainly go to a 400 if needed.
The diagram does not show wire sizes so that can not be reviewed
I upgraded the wiring, also based on your previous advice.
The cables from battery bank to fuse then bus bar are now 2/0 cable.
4 AWG on the AC feed from inverters to manual TS then to subpanel.
4 AWG from main panel to AC in on inverters
The diagram does not show the PV arrays so they can not be reviewed
PV arrays will be two arrays of 16 Solarever panels - one array is 445W and the other is 455W. The first array is in service now and connected to the master inverter and I'm in the process of adding the second string. 10 gauge wire from panels to inverters. Also, the drawing is wrong on the breakers between panels and inverter. Those are actually 63A, which is what I found that would carry the 40 amp load from the panels. All panels are frame grounded back to the main panel earth ground.
Edit: Each string is configured 4S4P

Last edited:
One issue I see in that drawing is the transfer switch is switching the neutral. Which makes the inverters a separately derived system. In separately derived system you are required to create a N/G bond in each system. Which is fine, except when passing the grid through the inverter transfer switch in bypass mode. Because then you have two N/G bonds and neutral current flowing on the ground conductor. Unless the inverters have dynamic bonding. (They rarely do )
The inverter when passing the Grid thru has a relay to kill the bond within the inverter and the bond from the main panel with be passed thru. When inverting from solar and battery then it will have the bond present at the inverter.

The inverter when passing the Grid thru has a relay to kill the bond within the inverter and the bond from the main panel with be passed thru. When inverting from solar and battery then it will have the bond present at the inverter.
Yes, that's dynamic bonding.
It has already been confirmed that this model has it.
But thanks.

Looks good! Congrats. Mine's up and running but I'm still working on reconfiguring everything, adding another 16 panels, and cleaning it up some. I'll get there eventually.
I just added 8 340w panels. Getting 100% charged by noon so I'm happy. Good luck with your project. Let me know how it goes!

I just added 8 340w panels. Getting 100% charged by noon so I'm happy. Good luck with your project. Let me know how it goes!
Congrats! That's really good for this time of year. Give me a few weeks and I'll should have some updates. Gotta schedule some help to give me a hand installing the panels on the shop roof. Right now I'm not putting much load on it, so my batteries are usually back to 100% by about 11:00 am. I'm going to be adding some more circuits over the next few weeks as I have time. Been a fun project even with the occasional frustration.

Back