diy solar

diy solar

Can the electrical grid handle a boom in electric vehicles?

San Diego is also a very affluent area, and surrounded by the military, with many either ex military or currently serving in the military. The police are well respected and paid well. Its a fairly conservative area of California. You are blessed.
You are clueless!

Complete cluster**** no way to deny this.

Friend of mine charged his Tesla last night and is driving out of harms way while passing MANY gas stations with super long lines...yes...a cluster fuck if you were waiting in the gas lines.

If the victims were able to be armed to protect themselves, those numbers would be dramatically different.
Gov hocul in NY is now also banning armor, so kids cannot bring bullet proof backpacks to school. That is insane.
Disarm all politicians first. No more security guards, cause guns are dangerous!
I wish that were true. Those who live in homes with guns are more than twice as likely to die from homicides

When you consider that the U.S. has more privately owned firearms than people, more than all the guns of all the military in the world put together, it becomes apparent that the rate of gun violence compared to gun availability is quite small.
The yearly murder by guns is many times the number of deaths in 9/11 and that was used as justification to invade two countries, costing trillions.

I perceive that the problem is primarily justice system using kid gloves on violent criminals, catch-and-release, and the hogtying of law abiding citizens who would otherwise defend themselves and make violent criminals a dying breed.
As of May 2021, the United States had the highest prisoner rate, with 639 prisoners per 100,000 of the national population

We are allowed to use all necessary force to defend ourselves and others from certain crimes, including robbery, rape, murder. We do get to defend ourselves at home, and since past supreme court decisions, possession of a firearm at home has been a right. If someone enters a home by force in California, the resident may legally presume he is in danger of death or serious bodily harm (unless the intrude is current/former significant other, roommate, family member.) But outside the home has largely been gun-free zones (except for guns carried by criminals, who therefore have the upper hand.)
With the higher gun ownership and the highest number of people behind bars, you would expect crime rates in the US to be lower than in other advanced economies right? So why isn't it?

To be fair, it is very hard to define crime rates, as many crimes are not reported, as not all people trust the authorities. But you can not argue that the US is too soft on crime when the US has the highest prison population in the world by far. While I trust that you, like so many Americans, are a responsible gun owner, it should be clear that way too many people are not and guns are often used against family members or stolen.

But do you really believe that if you guys had no guns (except for hunting) the US murder rate would be even higher?

I wish that were true. Those who live in homes with guns are more than twice as likely to die from homicides

So a study done only in california shows that woman who purchased guns for protection were murdered at a higher rate than those that did not need a gun for protection.
Looks like a deliberate one sided study. If these woman were already being stalked, and therefore needed a gun, of course the rates would be higher than that of a normal soccer mom with a happy family life.

The yearly murder by guns is many times the number of deaths in 9/11 and that was used as justification to invade two countries, costing trillions.

As of May 2021, the United States had the highest prisoner rate, with 639 prisoners per 100,000 of the national population

With the higher gun ownership and the highest number of people behind bars, you would expect crime rates in the US to be lower than in other advanced economies right? So why isn't it?

To be fair, it is very hard to define crime rates, as many crimes are not reported, as not all people trust the authorities. But you can not argue that the US is too soft on crime when the US has the highest prison population in the world by far. While I trust that you, like so many Americans, are a responsible gun owner, it should be clear that way too many people are not and guns are often used against family members or stolen.

But do you really believe that if you guys had no guns (except for hunting) the US murder rate would be even higher?
If you look at the stats, most gun related deaths are black on black in the inner cities. Its the culture, not the guns.

There are certain, uh, "demographics" related to crime in the U.S.
One group commits murder at a rate six times that of another.
I've dug (searched) but can't find statistics showing how different things were prior to development of the welfare state. I would like to think that is what has driven increased crime, decline of the family, and of home ownership, for that particular group. The only data I can find is the explosion of children born to unwed mothers for many demographic groups (which likely does lead to those other things).

I think much of the crime we have is due to culture, groups of people who consider drug dealing, theft, assault, carjacking, armed robbery, murder to be normal and proper conduct. That, and the small number actually caught, is what drives prison population. There are people who thing prison itself is the problem, and have such criminals released or not given incarceration sentences in the first place.

I think more aggressive law enforcement and more incarceration would eventually lead to less incarceration. Have to turn around what has been going on. But can't just have stepped up enforcement in targeted areas. That was tried in Oakland, in high crime neighborhoods, and the individuals simply went to ply their trade in nicer neighborhoods like Lakeview.

How do you propose we address the issue of a guy walking into a convenience store and pointing a gun at the shopkeeper? Shoving someone to the ground and taking a purse? Punching a pedestrian in the head?

So a study done only in california shows that woman who purchased guns for protection were murdered at a higher rate than those that did not need a gun for protection.
Looks like a deliberate one sided study. If these woman were already being stalked, and therefore needed a gun, of course the rates would be higher than that of a normal soccer mom with a happy family life.
Looks like you know better, can you cite your sources?

There are certain, uh, "demographics" related to crime in the U.S.
One group commits murder at a rate six times that of another.
I've dug (searched) but can't find statistics showing how different things were prior to development of the welfare state. I would like to think that is what has driven increased crime, decline of the family, and of home ownership, for that particular group. The only data I can find is the explosion of children born to unwed mothers for many demographic groups (which likely does lead to those other things).
Sure, one unexpected one is that children who grow up in households where they are not wanted or can't afford children, are more likely to resort to crime as an adult.

I think much of the crime we have is due to culture, groups of people who consider drug dealing, theft, assault, carjacking, armed robbery, murder to be normal and proper conduct. That, and the small number actually caught, is what drives prison population. There are people who thing prison itself is the problem, and have such criminals released or not given incarceration sentences in the first place.
I am not sure what you are trying to say, US culture leads to more crime? If so how would you change the culture, more police and jailing even more people and twice as long?

I think more aggressive law enforcement and more incarceration would eventually lead to less incarceration. Have to turn around what has been going on. But can't just have stepped up enforcement in targeted areas. That was tried in Oakland, in high crime neighborhoods, and the individuals simply went to ply their trade in nicer neighborhoods like Lakeview.
You could also look at more cost effective solutions like what other countries are doing, rather than solely focus on even harsher penalties.

How do you propose we address the issue of a guy walking into a convenience store and pointing a gun at the shopkeeper? Shoving someone to the ground and taking a purse? Punching a pedestrian in the head?
I propose taking hand guns of the streets altogether.

Lets pretend you are the robber. Assume there is a 40% chance that a woman has a gun on her and you are intent on robbing her, would that prevent you or make her an even juicier target as the gun is worth some additional money?

I am not sure what you are trying to say, US culture leads to more crime? If so how would you change the culture, more police and jailing even more people and twice as long?

Not US culture, subculture.
There are people for whom education, honest work, and paying your own way is a matter of pride.
There is also the glorification of violence and crime. Not "cowboys and indians", "cops and robbers" games, but video, music, etc. showing realistic crimes just like you could carry out on your own street. Our "freedom of speech" means such media is unquestionably allowed. For some reason, some people have also adopted such conduct (most of us could watch "Death Wish", "Ocean's Twelve", "Hawaii 5-0" whatever crime and violence movies unaffected just as we did "Bugs Bunny".)

There are subcultures who think driving without a license, drinking while driving, racing on the streets, is normal.
There are subcultures who think car jacking, robberies, selling drugs is admirable.

I think we got here by crime not being sufficiently cracked down on.
Some misguided individuals believed the problem was poverty and homelessness, so they created the "Projects" massive government housing which became a place Policemen feared to Tread.

The question is how to turn that around. Oakland has a solution - performing criminal background checks on prospective tenants is illegal, because it discriminates against racial minorities.

I think the basic problem is uncertainty. Most people have no ability to comprehend statistics. If an individual knew with 100% certainty that committing an armed robbery of a convenience store would result in his being blasted with a shotgun by a cop or shopkeeper waiting in the back room, such crimes would virtually stop overnight.

Low certainty of apprehension and punishment is no deterrent. Anyone who kills or maims another individual during a robbery, rape, kidnapping should be swiftly executed after conviction. It won't be a great deterrent, but it will significantly reduce recidivism. Anyone who commits a robbery, rape, kidnapping with a deadly weapon but doesn't cause serious bodily injury with that weapon should be exiled from the country forever to a penal colony. I propose the enlightened community you live in, where he can be rehabilitated.

Not US culture, subculture.
There are people for whom education, honest work, and paying your own way is a matter of pride.
There is also the glorification of violence and crime. Not "cowboys and indians", "cops and robbers" games, but video, music, etc. showing realistic crimes just like you could carry out on your own street. Our "freedom of speech" means such media is unquestionably allowed. For some reason, some people have also adopted such conduct (most of us could watch "Death Wish", "Ocean's Twelve", "Hawaii 5-0" whatever crime and violence movies unaffected just as we did "Bugs Bunny".)

There are subcultures who think driving without a license, drinking while driving, racing on the streets, is normal.
There are subcultures who think car jacking, robberies, selling drugs is admirable.

I think we got here by crime not being sufficiently cracked down on.
Some misguided individuals believed the problem was poverty and homelessness, so they created the "Projects" massive government housing which became a place Policemen feared to Tread.

The question is how to turn that around. Oakland has a solution - performing criminal background checks on prospective tenants is illegal, because it discriminates against racial minorities.

I think the basic problem is uncertainty. Most people have no ability to comprehend statistics. If an individual knew with 100% certainty that committing an armed robbery of a convenience store would result in his being blasted with a shotgun by a cop or shopkeeper waiting in the back room, such crimes would virtually stop overnight.

Low certainty of apprehension and punishment is no deterrent. Anyone who kills or maims another individual during a robbery, rape, kidnapping should be swiftly executed after conviction. It won't be a great deterrent, but it will significantly reduce recidivism. Anyone who commits a robbery, rape, kidnapping with a deadly weapon but doesn't cause serious bodily injury with that weapon should be exiled from the country forever to a penal colony. I propose the enlightened community you live in, where he can be rehabilitated.
I used to think harsher sentences would deter people, now I think that if you are unable to find work or housing, due to having a criminal record, people are more likely to resort to crime in order to survive or get their kick. If killing another person to prevent witnesses of the armed robbery and/or burning down the house reduces their chances to go to prison, they might decide to take that route as they have nothing left to loose anyway.

I don't pretend I have the answers, but it seems to me that the smart thing to do is to look how other countries, that are more successful, are dealing with those issues and see if those policies can be adapted in the US. For example look at the drug use in Portugal after decriminalization.

Agreed that processing drug use as a for-profit criminal justice system business is a problem.

The crime we're seeing is not due to people having no other way to get food and shelter, either due to criminal record or not.
"Getting their kick" is part of it.

Another part of the crime boom includes catalytic converter theft, shoplifting, and recently popularized flash mob smash-and-grab. Those are all about making money without having a conventional job. Given cell phone pings, I'd like the cops to converged and blockade the street, grab as many as possible and incarcerate them (in camps where they have to support themselves by agriculture.) Wash, rinse, and repeat. Eventually the word will get out. (In some cases, those flash mobs have had people waving weapons to intimidate employees into stepping aside. In that case, a cop who reached the store entrance blasting them as they rush at him with weapon in hand would get the message across.)

Crime of violence and murder, including the 50% of murders which are committed by young black males against other young black males, is not because they aren't given housing and food under the welfare system and K-12 education.
The life of crime starts in early teens if not before. Some who broke out of it eventually described growing up where that was simply the lifestyle they saw, and the path to having the material goods the most established individuals in their community had achieved (by that same method.) Mostly, though, I think it is kids fitting in to the group of other kids doing the same things. It is simply the culture which has developed over several generations. I blame it on social policies; this wasn't so prevalent when each generation worked to support themselves and their children; an alternate path was laid out before them, has become an entitlement, and free time has been used as they desire.

Sure, one unexpected one is that children who grow up in households where they are not wanted or can't afford children, are more likely to resort to crime as an adult.

You could also look at more cost effective solutions like what other countries are doing, rather than solely focus on even harsher penalties.

I propose taking hand guns of the streets altogether.

Lets pretend you are the robber. Assume there is a 40% chance that a woman has a gun on her and you are intent on robbing her, would that prevent you or make her an even juicier target as the gun is worth some additional money?
Yikes. Please never go into politics. Question for you. Which state is managed better in your opinion? Florida or California?

If you look at the stats, most gun related deaths are black on black in the inner cities. Its the culture, not the guns.
Except the ones committed by q-nationalists...

Except the ones committed by q-nationalists...

Oh yeah, I am sure that one guy counts for like 75% of all gun related deaths in the US. Glad to see your on top of it buddy!

Anecdote vs. Statistics.

There are always outliers.

One article that popped up Googling (new organization to me, may well be a known racist source) has IQ data vs. race. That data is for people in Africa:

Another reports far higher rate of achievement for blacks immigrants from Africa, vs. blacks coming from families long established in the U.S.

TL;DR: A single average in no way accurately represents various diverse sub-groups.

What it said of immigrants from Africa aligns with what I have observed in my tech field.

The ability to succeed within U.S. society is going to be related (inversely) with crime.

We generally see high performing immigrants from India in Silicon Valley.
Yet, people in neighboring countries often look down on Indians who come to their country to work.

I think the people who self-select to travel half the way around the world for work tend to have greater ability and ambition.

Last edited:
Back