diy solar

diy solar

Can we get a Dark Mode?

Dark reader is much better but in my experience it's not perfect. The most annoying thing is alerts are not being marked as read. I am using EDGE. Is anyone else experiencing this? I haven't tried it with Chrome yet.

So is dark reader the final answer? My Firefox variant doesn't want to install the extension. I usually use browser settings to change themes. I just got an oled phone for the enhanced blackness and battery efficiency, now i read they are prone to burn in from bright backgrounds...?

I have a plugin on one of my machines for firefox and it makes all sites "darkmode"

I think it was available for chrome too.

"........ A recent poll suggests that light designs are preferred by the general web-going audience by a whopping 47%. The main reason is readability. Most people don’t like viewing light text against a dark background on websites because it strains their eyes, making for a much less enjoyable experience. By contrast, 10% of those surveyed said that they always preferred dark backgrounds for websites, while another 36% said that the best choice would depend on the type of website............"
I can hardly read now at this age… please don’t change it to dark mode…it confuses the last of my nuerons… and I sorta doze off..or pass out ..or somthing…

I can hardly read now at this age… please don’t change it to dark mode…it confuses the last of my nuerons… and I sorta doze off..or pass out ..or somthing…
Same here. I dont care for dark mode. One of my alienware machines shipped with darkmode kind of setup to it and I just went with it on that one. The rest are normal. So ended up adding plugins to that one machines browsers.

Talk about system shock when having everything on the machine dark and then going to a white webpage. Eye pain galore.

But my normal setup is bright and I find the white background with black text the easiest to read.

Reactions: JRH
"........ A recent poll suggests that light designs are preferred by the general web-going audience by a whopping 47%. The main reason is readability. Most people don’t like viewing light text against a dark background on websites because it strains their eyes, making for a much less enjoyable experience. By contrast, 10% of those surveyed said that they always preferred dark backgrounds for websites, while another 36% said that the best choice would depend on the type of website............"
I suspect if you found a similar poll about levels of sodium in food a vast majority would respond that they prefer unhealthy levels because it makes the food "edible", since that is what they are used to having been subjected to so much crap from the industrial supply chain. Excess light makes people feel artificially stimulated and "good", but it disrupts circadian rhythms and extra radiation is likely a factor in a number of diseases of the eye.

It didn't work on my phone, but I added 'dark reader' to Firefox on my laptop. diysolarforum.com looks better, but other sites have their color profiles, which were already dark or darkish, messed up to make them less legible, and I'm seeing technical problems on an email browser page already so I turned it off. Sites that offer custom options for themes are way superior in presentation.

One of my long running forums, ADVRider.com (click on "default style" in the bottom left to switch themes), has been on XenForo for the better part of a decade. The "Black Responsive (orange)" theme is very easy on the eyes and readable. It is available from themehouse.com.

Last edited:
I suspect if you found a similar poll about levels of sodium in food a vast majority would respond that they prefer unhealthy levels because it makes the food "edible", since that is what they are used to having been subjected to so much crap from the industrial supply chain. Excess light makes people feel artificially stimulated and "good", but it disrupts circadian rhythms and extra radiation is likely a factor in a number of diseases of the eye.

It didn't work on my phone, but I added 'dark reader' to Firefox on my laptop. diysolarforum.com looks better, but other sites have their color profiles, which were already dark or darkish, messed up to make them less legible, and I'm seeing technical problems on an email browser page already so I turned it off. Sites that offer custom options for themes are way superior in presentation.

One of my long running forums, ADVRider.com (click on "default style" in the bottom left to switch themes), has been on XenForo for the better part of a decade. The "Black Responsive (orange)" theme is very easy on the eyes and readable. It is available from themehouse.com.
Maybe I like feeling “stimulated and good.” without drinking too… that’s a plus for me…

Yes, websites usually offer options for personal preference, which I'm supposing is why others are requesting a basic, healthy option here...
No doubt… that’s what they are doing… I can feel it coming in the air tonite… oh Lord…

As I mentioned at some point before: the software running this forum doesn't have a dark mode option by default. Getting a dark mode 'module' is not straight forward and breaks other things. The last thing we want to do is hack away at the code to make it work to then have it all fail when there is an update. We keep track of current developments to see if there will be a proper dark mode option either as a module or integrated in the core software. The last option would be to write a module ourselves, but we don't really have time/resources at the moment to do that.

Grandpa syndrome.
I am starting to get a bit of it myself.
it feels like my eyes are being overloaded and a weird uncontrollable tiredness comes over me. That use to only happen when I played video games for hours, but age is catching up with me.

As I mentioned at some point before: the software running this forum doesn't have a dark mode option by default. Getting a dark mode 'module' is not straight forward and breaks other things. The last thing we want to do is hack away at the code to make it work to then have it all fail when there is an update. We keep track of current developments to see if there will be a proper dark mode option either as a module or integrated in the core software. The last option would be to write a module ourselves, but we don't really have time/resources at the moment to do that.
Are the themehouse.com themes the kind of "modules" you are watching? The forums I've followed for 15 years had a bumpy ride when switching over to XenForo from an entirely different software package they had been using, but after that switch it has operated without any major disruption I'm aware of, while including an excellent dark mode from themehouse they have used from the start.

Are there budget concerns with buying a third party's product like that? I do appreciate that this site is ad free and wouldn't want to see that compromised.

Among others - but those are just the themes. It's the theme switching capability that is missing from Xenforo at the moment. That is, sure, you can install any theme, but you can't (easily) make a menu item to switch between light/dark or detect this preference.

I use High Contrast plugin for Chrome. Works good because it is site specific. I do NOT like the dark mode (invert) for any site, but I do use the "increase contrast" setting for this site.

I host mainly vbulletin sites but I googled this just now. Should fix the dark mode issue easy enough.

It doesn't. You can select a theme in the back-end, but it doesn't have a user facing option to detect/select the theme with the latest version of XF.

Ok Ive got a customer that needs to go to xf from vbulletin if I can get them moving on the upgrade finally I'll start on that which will give me a chance to mess with it from a fresh install. I'll set up some kind of user selectable dark mode whatever it takes and I'll send the settings I use when I get done with it.

Very late to the party here, but I would appreciate a dark mode.

Was there a work around that people thought was very good?

Back