diy solar

diy solar

Can you connect two 48v battery packs in series?

the_uglydog

I have an older 12kw inverter that operates on 96VDC/230VAC that powers our deep well pump and our water pressurization system. It uses gel batteries right now that I expect their end of life to be within the next year. But I have an opportunity to buy 12 new prebuilt 48v LifePo4 200ah rack mount batteries that come with balancers, BMS and communication capabilities at an excellent price. I only need 6 for the system I'm buying for right now and I can find a use for another 2 within a year. I'd like to use the other 4 on the system I described. The question is, Can I put 2 of this type batteries in series to make the 96v and those 2 series in parallel to make 400ah? I know I can parallel, but I can't find any info on series. Your thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. That's about it. the dog

You'd need to check with the manufacturer to see if you can do this. You may be limited by the voltage capabilities of the BMS they used.

Some batteries can and some cannot, and you've not told us what model and brand of battery it is.

I have an older 12kw inverter that operates on 96VDC/230VAC that powers our deep well pump and our water pressurization system. It uses gel batteries right now that I expect their end of life to be within the next year. But I have an opportunity to buy 12 new prebuilt 48v LifePo4 200ah rack mount batteries that come with balancers, BMS and communication capabilities at an excellent price. I only need 6 for the system I'm buying for right now and I can find a use for another 2 within a year. I'd like to use the other 4 on the system I described. The question is, Can I put 2 of this type batteries in series to make the 96v and those 2 series in parallel to make 400ah? I know I can parallel, but I can't find any info on series. Your thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. That's about it. the dog

Deep well pumps often have an enormous surge. Make sure you confirm that the BMS of these LFP batteries can handle the surge during pump startup.

And make sure the LFP batteries are 16S (51.2V nominal), not 15S (48V nominal) as 16S gives a working range most similar to lead-acid 48V.

Thanks for the info. I'll check all the specs. I didn't know there 2 different voltages. They all have 100 amp charge and discharge BMS. We do have a voltage stabilizer on the deep well pump that helps reduce the surge and it helps maintain voltage when it's on utility, here the voltage from there can drop down to as low as 170v, that's one of the reasons I want to get completely off grid.

Back