diy solar

diy solar

can you legally hook up a split phase inverter to an existing generator port?

Go2Guy

can you legally hook a split phase inverter to an existing generator port?
Just curious if this is legal, I tried searching if portable Generators are required to be UL listed for temporary hooked up to a legally installed generator port but it seems the answer is no however there trying to regulate it. . So the question is , if generators are not required to be UL listed to be hook up to the gen port for temporary use does a does a "solar generator" aka an inverter with a generator port need to be listed for temporary use?

I can't give a definitive answer. I recall that there may be an issue with neutral bonding with the portable gas generators.

I don't know about the UL listing, but @HRTKD is right, the inverter can't be bonding neutral when it's connected to the generator input port on the house (because neutral will be bonded at the breaker panel).

Thanks for the response guys, Cinergi. The reason I am asking is to find a way to legally hook up a non listed UL inverter for a generator port for emergency purpose but keep it legal. .. .i know you mention the bonding neutral only needs to occur in the breaker and im aware of that, just curious how would it be any different if you were to hardwire it directly to a breaker panel, or wire thru a transfer switch, or wire it thru a generator port, it seems to be the same case with a bonded neutral in the panel, [that is presuming i understand this correctly] So as long is the inverter is compliance with such a set up it , I presume it will work [i think lol, im still learning]

Where can i go to find information on such question, Im trying to build legal install for family members for emergency back up situations and want it to be compliance with code BUT there so little information out there on whats legal and whats not. . . For example I just discovered there is not a single OFF Grid only inverter that is UL listed for 1741 as they are utility interactive or grid tie , Alte website sells "off grid" inverters and claim they are UL listed but its listed buts its actually for UL458, [rv marin etc] does this mean True off grid inverters are illegal? DAM I have so many question about all these crap codes, but there doesn't seems o be any info out there on these technicalities

I don't understand your question. As I understand it UL1741 is specifically written for grid-tie applications. By definition off-grid inverters have no need to be "grid tie" so no I would not expect any "off grid" inverters to go through the hassle and expense of UL1741 certification.

I think one of the easiest ways to accomplish what your asking for is to install a critical loads panel that is powered by a non-grid tie inverter that can do grid pass through. As you never intend to sell back to the grid it does not need UL1741 certification.

The inexpensive version of the above can be done with a Growatt all-in-one (see my install). A setup up from that is something like sol-ark however these are UL1741 certified as they can be configured to sell back to the grid.

thank schism for the response, I guess my concern comes from when using non ul listed inverters legally in a permanently installed installation for a home is currently on grid but at the same time using your solar inverter for a dedicated isolated off grid sub panel . i here so many contradicting statements and the general answer is NO under no way shape or form can you install a non UL listed inverter into a home and pass code with out it regardless of how you hook it up? whether if off grid or not [we absolutley DO NOT want grid tie, i want off grid only but only for certain loads]. . . the only reason i am referencing the ul cert, is because from my understanding nothing will pass code with with out.
My Ideal set up would be keep the the water heater and dryer on the grid and have everything else be completley isolated to a separate panel and then have a mpp run that separete panel and have it permantley installed this way. . . . .I have been told this is illegal [because of the non UL status] but can find no clarifying answers, but maybe i am wrong, So I guess my question is could you legally pull the permits to install solar on a roof top and then route the solar dc routed to a non ul listed inverter and then have inverterfeed all the loads to a isolated off grid panel [that will run the majority of my loads? my understanding is the answer is no, But i will be a very very happy man if you tell me i am wrong !!!lol

But this is the reason for this question since i presume everything i stated above is illegal my goal is goal is to have it portable both inverter and panels and then use them when needed be by plunging the inverter into a legally installer generator port which will more or less accomplish the same goal above but in a portable, hopefully legally fashion. . .

Your not going to get your answers here. Your going to have to seek out profesionals in your area that know the code requirements for the jurisdiction your in. State,county,city etc.

There goes another issue is if i call a solar company there going to want to sell me a 30k system? I asked a friend of mine and he told me that all the code inspectors interpret the law different want things different His exact words were John wll say you need to due A B and C and then Joe will come the next week after you made the changes and say you need to due D F and G and you will say But JOHN said A B and C and Joe will say i dont care what John said Im telling you D F and G. . . I have heard horror stories about about the above scenarios, would you recomend that i contact a code inspector??? I know a solar company will not want to help out since there only interested in selling 30k grid tie systems. I feel so overwhelmed in trying do this the right way, makes me want to just say f it and do it anyways but like i said my family members insist on a legal install, hence my idea about going thru the gen port

Back