diy solar

diy solar

Can you parallel them?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1888
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1888

I know you can not mix Li Ion and LiFePO4 but can you mix LiFePO4 and LFP?

LFP are Nanophosphate Cells so is that similar to Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery?

Im looking at getting

to mix with what I already have

LFP is LiFePO4.

And all lithium batteries are Li-ion batteries. Even if NMC chemistry is often called Li-ion on its own, which is not really correct and mis-leading but what you can do...

I know you can not mix Li Ion and LiFePO4 but can you mix LiFePO4 and LFP?

LFP are Nanophosphate Cells so is that similar to Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery
Both of those batteries specs say LiFePO4
Nanophosphate is a fancy buzzword. Google it.

LFP is LiFePO4.

And all lithium batteries are Li-ion batteries. Even if NMC chemistry is often called Li-ion on its own, which is not really correct and mis-leading but what you can do...
Hold on Will tells us not to mix nmc and LiFePO4

Yep, they don't have the same voltage range so it makes sense to not mix them.

Both of those batteries specs say LiFePO4
Nanophosphate is a fancy buzzword. Google it.

According to the website the max voltage for the Nanophosphate cells is 3.6 volts.
As I'm sure you know garden variety lifepo4 is 3.65 volts.

LFP, NMC, LITO, LIPO are ALL Lithium Based Battery cells. Their chemistries & voltages are different and as such each has it's own "Charge Profile" and cannot be intermixed. Just like Lead Acid & LFP (which are close but not quite enough) should not be intermixed.

LFP and LiFePo4 are the same thing, LFP is just a common abbreviation.

Its a website with typos and not a source to be relied on.
The other battery add says nano and 3.65V
This whole thread is silliness.

Chemistry: LiFePO4 (LFP)

Cell Type: 20Ah Nanophosphate Cells

Cell Count: 40

BMS Specifications

Single cell overcharge protection voltage:

• Min: 3.72V
  • Standard: 3.75V
  • Max: 3.78V
Single cell overcharge protection delay time:

• Min: 0.6S
  • Standard: 1S
  • Max: 1.5S
Single cell overcharge recovery amperage:

• Min: 3.5A
  • Standard: 3.6A
  • Max: 3.6A
Recharge current:

• Max: 130A
Single-section equalization voltage:

• Min: 3.55V
  • Standard: 3.6V
  • Max: 3.65V

LFP, NMC, LITO, LIPO are ALL Lithium Based Battery cells. Their chemistries & voltages are different and as such each has it's own "Charge Profile" and cannot be intermixed. Just like Lead Acid & LFP (which are close but not quite enough) should not be intermixed.

LFP and LiFePo4 are the same thing, LFP is just a common abbreviation.
Thank you

Its a website with typos and not a source to be relied on.
The other battery add says nano and 3.65V
This whole thread is silliness.

Chemistry: LiFePO4 (LFP)

Cell Type: 20Ah Nanophosphate Cells

Cell Count: 40

BMS Specifications

Single cell overcharge protection voltage:

• Min: 3.72V
  • Standard: 3.75V
  • Max: 3.78V
Single cell overcharge protection delay time:

• Min: 0.6S
  • Standard: 1S
  • Max: 1.5S
Single cell overcharge recovery amperage:

• Min: 3.5A
  • Standard: 3.6A
  • Max: 3.6A
Recharge current:

• Max: 130A
Single-section equalization voltage:

• Min: 3.55V
  • Standard: 3.6V
  • Max: 3.65V

I believe @MrNatural22 confirmed the cell max voltage with bigbattery support when he was having problems with cell balance.
But then again, not like they are an authority either.

Last edited:
766C395B-022B-4D92-96E5-6B229D4FF748.jpeg061D7D13-6A6C-4710-B45E-A3B389385B5E.jpegD5C70F0C-52E2-4F5B-A612-E3A0052DE1E3.jpeg766C395B-022B-4D92-96E5-6B229D4FF748.jpegA123 is clearly labeled 28.8v max charge voltage. I would think charging at 29.2v might not be heathy for these batteries. I did have a issue with cell balance on two cells. Talking to the Bigbattery people wasn’t very reassuring on their clear knowledge of these nano phosphate pacs. Seemed to be talking to salesmen rather than than tech support. But they were willing to work with me on this issue.
I charge at no more than 28.8v and it seems to have settled the big cell balance difference down some.
I bought a second pac that is performing very well being charged at the recommended 28.8v. At this time I have been charging at 28.8v 10a. with a bench Switched PS.

061D7D13-6A6C-4710-B45E-A3B389385B5E.jpegD5C70F0C-52E2-4F5B-A612-E3A0052DE1E3.jpeg

View attachment 21335View attachment 21327View attachment 21328View attachment 21335A123 is clearly labeled 28.8v max charge voltage. I would think charging at 29.2v might not be heathy for these batteries. I did have a issue with cell balance on two cells. Talking to the Bigbattery people wasn’t very reassuring on their clear knowledge of these nano phosphate pacs. Seemed to be talking to salesmen rather than than tech support. But they were willing to work with me on this issue.
I charge at no more than 28.8v and it seems to have settled the big cell balance difference down some.
I bought a second pac that is performing very well being charged at the recommended 28.8v. At this time I have been charging at 28.8v 10a. with a bench Switched PS.

View attachment 21327View attachment 21328
just curious would it be better to lower the max charge voltage to prolong the life of the cells? like 28v or a little under 28?

Initially I would keep charge at 28.8v to full for a few cycles. Then later if you like you could charge to a lower SOC level if you prefer for longevity.
Odds are these will still last many cycles and years even charged full.

just curious would it be better to lower the max charge voltage to prolong the life of the cells? like 28v or a little under 28?
Top balance and then lower the upper voltage. Sure go for it. :)

Not only can you mix LiFePO4 and LFP, you can even mix both of them with Lithium Iron Phosphate, and Lithium Ferro Phosphate;)
(if its not clear this is tongue-in-cheek, and these all refer to the same battery chemistry, you will also come across some lay consumers and some Chinese sellers referring to lifepo4 as LiFe)

Back