diy solar

diy solar

Can you use a breaker between 1 PV panel and the Branch connector in a Parallel system?

WhaleBoy

Hi

I have the Yeti 3000x and currently have 4 200 watt renogy panels connected in parallel. The 3000x has a max input of 600w from Solar but was advised I could connect 800w from Goal Zero due to the inefficiency of panels.
The problem I have is that on a sunny day i'm getting more than 600w and the yeti shuts down the input to 10w so I have to go out and disconnect one of the panels to keep under the 600w max.
Currently I disconnect the MC4 connectors but would like to know if I can add a breaker between one panel and the Branch connector so all I need to do is to trip the breaker instead of having to disconnect the MC4 connectors?
Also is it safe to disconnect the MC4 connectors while the sun is shinning if I have removed the power connection to the Yeti?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
Whale Boy

If you add a breaker make sure it is rated for Direct Current and rated for the voltage of the PV array.

Is 4 panels in parallel the right voltage for that unit?
Could it be excessive input current? (I haven't tried to find the specs.)
Maybe, 2s2p would be better. But be sure of voltages first.

Any time 4 panels are in parallel, like your 1s4p setup, we recommend a fuse for each.
2s2p wouldn't need that. But max Voc is a critical parameter to check first.

Another idea: Orient the panels differently. Two aimed at 10:00 AM sun and two at 4:00 PM sun. Then peak current/watts will be only 0.7 times as much, but about same total power delivered over the day. That levels production.

Is 4 panels in parallel the right voltage for that unit?
Could it be excessive input current? (I haven't tried to find the specs.)
Maybe, 2s2p would be better. But be sure of voltages first.

Any time 4 panels are in parallel, like your 1s4p setup, we recommend a fuse for each.
2s2p wouldn't need that. But max Voc is a critical parameter to check first.

Another idea: Orient the panels differently. Two aimed at 10:00 AM sun and two at 4:00 PM sun. Then peak current/watts will be only 0.7 times as much, but about same total power delivered over the day. That levels production.
Hi GZ were the ones who advised me to connect the panels in Parallel.
I'm not able to orient my panels as you have suggested due to a lack of space.

the specs are, 200 watt panel VOC 24.1V, VMP 21V, ISC 10.9A, IMP 9.52A
3000X Power pole charging port 14-50V, up to 50A (600W max)

I did think about connecting 2 series 2 parallel but wasn't sure if that was best after GZ advising to do all in parallel

Hard to imagine why panels couldn't just be tilted some East, some West.
That wouldn't take up more area, but would maybe stand up higher.
With 90 degrees, 800 x 0.7 = 560W would be about ideal. And battery doesn't cycle as much.
A winter/summer tilt would not have as large an angle between them.

If you tilted two left, two right, they would shade each other some seasons.
If you change them from landscape to portrait orientation, then two on the left can aim toward the left, and two on the right can aim toward the right without ever shading each other.
Just some more wooden sticks on top of that frame.

You said disconnecting one panel, for 75% of output, fixed the problem?
Then I think half facing one way and half the other, 90 degree angle for 71% peak output, should work.

Could keep orientation landscape and tilt further, until two fit across the width. Equilateral triangle, 60 degrees (or 120 degrees)
That would be 50% when sun overhead, 50% at some time morning and evening. Probably a greater reduction in total Wh/day.
Would allow 6 panels, reaching the 75% you've found worked, for some increase on daily Wh.

When sun is lower in the sky, less intensity due to attenuation by longer path through air.
Off-angle panels will also produce something less than same area aimed directly at sun, due to more reflection.

Last edited:
Back