diy solar

diy solar

Canadian battery review Please

JennC

There are not many options for LiFePO4 batteries in Canada and shipping is expensive or impossible from the US (battleborn) I have found a Canadian manufacturer, CANBAT that is designing and manufacturing in Vancouver. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with them .

Will, it would be great if you could arrange to tear one down and review it on your you tube channel. I should note that they currently have a 100AH for $1149 cdn with free shipping among others.... looked interesting if it is of good quality.

Here is the link to their page. https://www.canbat.com/

Thanks Jenn

I got 8 - 280 Ah batteries from Xuba [China] for less than $1,200 [Canadian] delivered to my door.
Just thought you might want to know. :)
And I live in Vancouver.
EDIT: That is 8 - 3.2 cells of 280 Ah totalling 24 volts.

I got 8 - 280 Ah batteries from Xuba [China] for less than $1,200 [Canadian] delivered to my door.
And I live in Vancouver.
Trying to compare bare cells to a full battery assembly is not really a fair comparison. They are obviously going to be much cheaper and no one will ever dispute that. When I was looking into battleborns in Canada, I believe they were around $1300 Canadian plus some pretty expensive shipping from Solacity.

It would be interesting to see how their batteries are. I actually spoke with them the other night and it sounds like a decent company, they say they are using a proper low temp disconnect as well. The person I spoke with also informed me of a new battery they are releasing that is including a heater circuit that will warm the battery from the charge source if it is below the low temp cutoff before applying the charge to the cells which I thought was an interesting concept for some applications.

They apparently carry a 5 year warranty, so pretty standard, but not quite battleborn 10 year. Might be a decent option for a complete battery assembly in the Canadian market, but I have not seen any real world testing on them.

Trying to compare bare cells to a full battery assembly is not really a fair comparison. They are obviously going to be much cheaper and no one will ever dispute that. When I was looking into battleborns in Canada, I believe they were around $1300 Canadian plus some pretty expensive shipping from Solacity.

It would be interesting to see how their batteries are. I actually spoke with them the other night and it sounds like a decent company, they say they are using a proper low temp disconnect as well. The person I spoke with also informed me of a new battery they are releasing that is including a heater circuit that will warm the battery from the charge source if it is below the low temp cutoff before applying the charge to the cells which I thought was an interesting concept for some applications.

They apparently carry a 5 year warranty, so pretty standard, but not quite battleborn 10 year. Might be a decent option for a complete battery assembly in the Canadian market, but I have not seen any real world testing on them.
I was trying to help. No need to jump down my throat there and call me unfair, sheesh.
If you read the forums you will find that SOME people don't mind building their owns batteries as well.

Wow.

I was trying to help. No need to jump down my throat there and call me unfair, sheesh.
If you read the forums you will find that SOME people don't mind building their owns batteries as well.

Wow.
Not trying to "jump down your throat", simply just pointing out a fact and responding to the question as asked. Of course "SOME" people enjoy the idea of building their own batteries and are willing to learn or already have the skillset to do so, but not everyone, and for all we know this could be the case here.

Sorry JennC for your thread getting highjacked with this meaningless banter, hopefully someone chimes in with some real world experience with this company.

And I live in Vancouver.
Hey, can you post a link? Was it on Alibaba?

Hey, can you post a link? Was it on Alibaba?
The price has gone up, but here they are.

I'm from Canada as well and having a hard time finding good options for 12v lifepo with low temp disconnect. Canbat looks promising but would like some reassurance from reviews and a teardown would be awesome. Specifically looking for 100A or 200A reviews.

I'm from Canada as well and having a hard time finding good options for 12v lifepo with low temp disconnect. Canbat looks promising but would like some reassurance from reviews and a teardown would be awesome. Specifically looking for 100A or 200A reviews.
Start a thread asking about them then. I am sue someone here would be able to help you out. :)
EDIT: Or do a search of it anyhow. Someone may have all ready done one. :)

In fact I spoke with them tonight. They have a 10years warranty and price point is attractive.
$1,100 CAD free shipping for a 100ah 12v lifepo4 which is at LEAST 200 less then a Battle Born.

Im not saying here they are better quality, but they certainly put a doubt in my mind.

I was looking for battle borns and now I'm considering this Canadian company.

Btw, the lady told me they are designed in Canada but manufactured in China.

Some design in Canada, Chinese manufactured components, 50/50 assembled in Canada, more than likely assembled in China as well.
We haven't got any LFP factories here and having electronics put together in China is much cheaper. Couple of years ago there was interest to put a factory in but no interest from the CONS gov of the day.

Seems like Nfld Labrador may just get the first set of them now... They are standing on the minerals ! The IRONY ! there is more $ in Lithium, Nickel under their feet than all that black goo they're are sucking out of the sea... More job creation coming on real scale starting in spring.

The question remains.

Who's gonna be the first to throw in 3-4k$ and have them tested in a real life situation?

Because in the end, that's what matters.

The question remains.

Who's gonna be the first to throw in 3-4k$ and have them tested in a real life situation?

Because in the end, that's what matters.
If they sent one to Will for a Teardown & review and they have anything decent that would "PASS" that test, that would provide a but ROI for sending one pack. But if they do not have the confidence in their product, then they certainly would not want a genuine critical test, review & teardowns.

If I Knew they were good & passed the acid test I would certainly promo them, but I'm a Canuck and would like to see a Canadian Brand make good.

Now there is nothing standing out in any of their docs (which are pretty good actually) that shows potential issues. Series/Parallel is OK too.
Appears they are using pouch format LFP. It's not an interactive BMS but for an A-Typical drop in that is not unusual. The price Point is FAIR.

I dropped $3999 cdn on a SCAM 24V/400AH pre-built, (ShunBin) with used 175AH cells in it.
Then I built 24V/280's. Right now 8 Commodity Cells are $900 USD delivered DDP
Want them Matched & Binned, 1350 USD +/- a bit DDP.
100A Capable BMS Fet Based 150 with cold temp control, $200 +/-
--- For price comparison and grounding.
But then, I am also running with 910AH @ 24V so there's more involved, including cost obviously. And the wallet has it's limits.

12V 200AH COLD WEATHER LITHIUM BATTERY (LIFEPO4)

$2,450.00 $2,300.00 ($ 1794.49 USD)
12V 200Ah low-temperature Lithium battery designed in Canada for deep cycle applications. Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery technology (LiFePO4). Order directly from Canbat with free fast shipping anywhere in Canada. All orders are shipped on the same day.
Canbat Lithium Battery Manual

12V 200AH LITHIUM BATTERY (LIFEPO4)

$2,100.00 $1,900.00 ($ 1,482.41 USD)
Rated 5.00 out of 5
12V 200Ah deep cycle lithium battery designed in Canada for RV, marine and other deep cycle applications. Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery technology (LiFePO4). Order directly from Canbat with free fast shipping anywhere in Canada. All orders are shipped on the same day.

Ok. So I contacted them and they sent me a few pictures of the internal. It's not a full teardown but at least you guys can see what's inside .

Im no professional so... If someone with better knowledge then me can comment, it would be appreciated.

IMG_5925.JPGIMG_5926.JPGIMG_5927.JPGIMG_5928.JPGIMG_5929.JPGIMG_5930.JPG

The immediate impression is that it is well assembled with nice component detail.
The cells having welded bars on them is a GOOD MARK, that's something many battery assemblers don't do.
IF I was shopping for something like a Drop-In these folks would hit the top of the list based on What I have seen. Especially at this price point.

I won't say get one or not... ENTIRELY UP TO YOU but we have all seen Prebuilts that sell for ay more that are 1/2 the quality in assembly.
Just have a watch of a few of Will's teardowns to see what kinda crap is being flogged onto the unsuspecting.

i talked to them today, looking to buy two 12 x 200ah with cold charging down to -35 C, 2200 delivered free here in canada, looking to use in my northern ontario island cottage

after Wills teardown was looking at two SOK 12 x 200ah on amazon.ca 1725 each delivered in ontario

has anyone actually purchased a canbat lithium yet? searched everyone for reviews and can not find anything. Im interested in 3 12v 50ah for my bass boat 36v trolling motor. Shipping and duty from states is ridiculous. Any one know if these batteries are safe and what they are described to be?

I bought 2x 200ah units. 200$ rebate each.
Received them, well boxed. Quality seems good but my van isn't ready yet so they haven't been tested. I bought them 3 months in advance because of the sale.

i talked to them today, looking to buy two 12 x 200ah with cold charging down to -35 C, 2200 delivered free here in canada, looking to use in my northern ontario island cottage
Hi, I’m in Northwestern Ontario and I’m looking at the Canbat cold weather batteries...did you end up buying? Thanks

Back