diy solar

diy solar

Canadian battery review Please

not yet, I do not need them til spring when I go back to cottage. The SOK are 12v 200ah delivered to my door 1725 canadian would be great if I lived there year round., otherwise I would need to take them south in the winter.

the CanBat are 2200 for the cold weather plus tax, free shipping in canada

the CanBat are 2200 for the cold weather plus tax, free shipping in canada
Ya...I getcha...they are expensive and I’m confused as to whether or not it’s gonna matter for my application. I’m on an island in NW Ontario. We leave our panels connected to the charge controller and the batteries when we leave for the winter. We typically only go out to the cabin a couple times in the winter. Usually, our panels are covered in snow and not charging our batteries. I run the AC Honda generator to charge the the batteries. My understanding is that the lithium’s can survive down to -20 Celsius when discharging or storing but need above zero Celsius to take a charge. I would need to create an insulated box with some way to get some heat in there.
Not sure I’ve got a plan that works yet...

thx

Im exactly the same, have a island cottage in restoule, go up a couple times in the winter if ice is good. I have 4 x 6 volt agm in series now which are 7 years old and getting weak. May buy the SOK and just take them home in the fall and run my honda in the winter if i get up.

Im exactly the same, have a island cottage in restoule, go up a couple times in the winter if ice is good. I have 4 x 6 volt agm in series now which are 7 years old and getting weak. May buy the SOK and just take them home in the fall and run my honda in the winter if i get up.
Could you put them in a box underground to keep them from getting too darn cold?

Could you put them in a box underground to keep them from getting too darn cold?
Interesting idea...won’t work for me as we are in the Canadian shield....all rock essentially. The taking the batteries home thing is not really of interest but short of any other plan...it might be the best one. I’m still gonna explore the heated battery but I’m not confident. I’ll keep you guys posted...please do the same. Thanks

Interesting idea. Certainly better then leaving them in sub-freezing temps.

To store them long term, I would think you'd need to be below the frost line. Where I am, that's about 4 feet under ground, same level as the water lines.

But I don't think LiPo4 enjoys sitting at those temps for too too long. Most of what I've been reading states the batteries like to be stored, long term, around 20 - 23℃. Check with the manufacture for specifics for your battery.

This is what I've been reading, but I'm happy to be corrected.

There are not many options for LiFePO4 batteries in Canada and shipping is expensive or impossible from the US (battleborn) I have found a Canadian manufacturer, CANBAT that is designing and manufacturing in Vancouver. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with them .

Will, it would be great if you could arrange to tear one down and review it on your you tube channel. I should note that they currently have a 100AH for $1149 cdn with free shipping among others.... looked interesting if it is of good quality.

Here is the link to their page. https://www.canbat.com/

Thanks Jenn
We purchased 4 of their 12V 200Ah cold weather lithium batteries and connected them in series for our solar system. The batteries are working great. Their customer service is amazing. I tried calling BattleBorn, but they would not answer the phone or even return my voicemail. When I called Canbat, they answered my first call and they were very helpful. Tip: if you’re buying multiple units, ask for a discount. They gave us $100 off each battery for buying 4 units.

newbie here. So, a 200ah battery, 12 volt would be 2400ah, usable @ 50%, so in actuality, it would be 1200ah? am i doing the math right?

not yet, I do not need them til spring when I go back to cottage. The SOK are 12v 200ah delivered to my door 1725 canadian would be great if I lived there year round., otherwise I would need to take them south in the winter.
If it helps, I picked up 1x 206ah SOK for $1300 CAD from a shop in Edmonton. No experience with it yet as I'm waiting for my rv to be delivered still...but have the battery waiting. I believe it was Solar Superstore.

newbie here. So, a 200ah battery, 12 volt would be 2400ah, usable @ 50%, so in actuality, it would be 1200ah? am i doing the math right?
Yes that’s approximately the right interpretation with lead acid batteries, lithium would have a great depth of discharge so instead of 50% you might apply 80-90%. Also some calculations use 12.8 volts vs 12 volts. So 12.8 x 200 = 2560....however I’d keep you calculations as better to be conservative. Just my thoughts. Good luck!

Back