diy solar

diy solar

Canadian newbie building a solar bus

vendeta44

Hey! Still going over all the great info this forum has to offer but figured i'd make a post.

I'm converting a 2008 Kodiak c5500 bus into a tiny home and am doing my research for a solar setup to power it all. I have a considerable power consumption, my initial audit puts me around 1.1KWh/day and I have roof space for 9 panels which i know isn't enough so I'm hoping to supplement it with grid charging occasionally and a small wind generator or two.

For solar panels I found the "QCELL-315-60BLK Hanwha 315" from wegosolar out of BC, I know theres some higher density panels but well I do plan to travel south eventually I'll likely be up in the north for another year or two, and I wanted a panel with a higher wind/snow rating. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm open to them but a lot of US vendors don't end up making sense once shippings worked out since wegosolar has a warehouse near me and the price doesn't seem to be to far off us vendors.

For the battery bank I spent a bit browsing suggestions here, and well I know its still a newer cell and not many are talking about it here i'm looking at the 310Ah LiFepo4 cells on ali. Right now there on sale, and for the money blows anything I can get locally out of the water. The catch being the sale ends in 2 days so I kind of got to pull the trigger on this one thing right away if i want keep it at that price and I know thats a sin here lol. But any advice on these cells is welcome, i read that there's some debate weather high Ah cells are suitable to use in a mobile application if anyone has some links or something so I can look into that claim i'd appreciate it. I do know diy cells are a bit of an advanced project, so have been and still am doing a lot of reading on the subject so I can do it safely and properly. What I was thinking for this bank was an initial purchase of 32 cells(+2 loose cells just in case) to build two 48v packs and run those in parallels for a 2.7KWh bank - Note did my calculations with the assumption these will end up being 280Ah, and if they actually turn out to be over 300Ah thats just a bonus and the extra capacity will not be wasted.

I haven't decided on BMS or Charge controller yet among many things. So again recommendations/advice welcome.

One thing I haven't done much research on at all that I'd like to get some info on is the possibility of fast charging with a EV plug. Being so cloudy up here I'd really like the ability to quickly get a charge at EV stations just in case I have solar issues during the winter or since I'll be blowing most of what I had originally budgeted for solar on the batteries this gives me a way to get power in the meantime as the money comes in to upgrade the solar and wind power generation. Ofc I'd like to have standard 110 charging as well, but if its economically feasible EV charging sounds very appealing to me.

Thats a lot of text for a intro post so I'll stop here. Any help with those few questions or anything else you think might help me in this endeavor is appreciated.

Back