diy solar

diy solar

Canadian Solar panel score

Subdood

Photon Wrangler
I'm in the process of getting my solar system set up. Been looking at various components and have an idea of what I need. Well, I made my first major purchase yesterday. Santan Solar had a very good deal on some Canadian Solar 445W bifacials, so I got eight of them for just under $1600 (not counting $300 for shipping). They are open box panels, originally to be used at a solar farm, but the buyer decided they didn't want them and returned them. So, they're basically new panels.

They were originally going for $230, then went on sale for $207 a couple weeks ago. I dragged my feet on getting them, but finally decided to order them Thu night. Well, they went out stock right when I placed my order. Couldn't believe it, I was furious that I had missed a chance on getting them. So, I went ahead and ordered some Trina 410W bifacials and went to bed. The Trina's seem to be good panels, but I just wanted the CS's.

Well, the next morning I checked their site and the CS panels were back in stock. So, I thought maybe I could call Santan and see if they had enough for me. To my surprise, they said they did so I swapped the Trina's for the CS's. So, needless to say I'm very pleased to get them. They sold them to me for the sale price of $207, plus threw in a 5% discount, so the price per panel was about $196. Price per watt comes out to about $0.44/W. Needless to say that I'm very pleased with Santan and how they worked with me.

The $300 shipping seems high for 8 panels, but they'll be traveling almost 2000 miles, so that's not too bad for 500lb of panels. They said it'll be about two weeks before they get here. They use R+L trucking, so I told them due to our rural location, I don't think they can get out here with an 18 wheeler. They said they'd try to get them here in a smaller truck. But that'll be sorted out when they're ready to ship.

I don't have any other components, but will probably pick up a 5.1kWh rack battery next week, and will probably get the EG-4 6500 inverter when they come in, which will be about 6 weeks. While I'm waiting I'm sketching out my ground mount for these 8 panels. They're about 7 x 3.5ft, and weigh about 63lb, so they are going to need some sturdy support.

Last edited:
Just in case you're not familiar with truck freight, if you had bought 1 panel the freight would have been $300, if you bought 20 panels the freight would have been $300. Truck freight has a large minimum charge that covers a LOT of weight so it's usually advantageous to buy in bulk to amortize the freight cost. The other funny thing about truck freight is it's highly negotiable (for the shipper). I used to get 60 percent off "list" with my business, others got up to 90 percent depending on volume and type of freight.

Just in case you're not familiar with truck freight, if you had bought 1 panel the freight would have been $300, if you bought 20 panels the freight would have been $300. Truck freight has a large minimum charge that covers a LOT of weight so it's usually advantageous to buy in bulk to amortize the freight cost. The other funny thing about truck freight is it's highly negotiable (for the shipper). I used to get 60 percent off "list" with my business, others got up to 90 percent depending on volume and type of freight.
Well, I did some fake orders to see how much a certain amount of panels would cost, and it seemed to go up about $20 a panel over the eight I ordered.

Yeah, a pallet would be nice, but I couldn't afford more than 8-10 panels at the moment.

$300 for shipping eight panels weighing about 500lb about 1800 miles seems reasonable. Ten panels from Signature Solar was running about $280, and it's half as far away.

Back