diy solar

diy solar

Cannot fit battery cable lugs past flex conduit 1" fitting

DIYSolarShed

I purchased these battery cables for my Fortress 18.5K and Sol-Ark 12K setup: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MXQ6VG2/

Amazing cables, but I have one issue: the lugs don't fit past the 1" fittings of my flex liquidtight conduit.

I tried buying 1 1/4" size fittings, but the larger fittings don't fit the punch-outs in either the Sol-Ark or the Fortress : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HZ4F5PH/

It is OK per code to run these cables without conduit? If not, what should I do?

I thought about trying to use a heat-gun to soften up the fittings to make the lugs squeeze past the 1" fittings.... but that might get ugly....

Thanks!

Cut off the lugs, thread the cable through and put on a new lug and heat shrink tubing.

I can't speak to what code would allow.

use "hard" pvc conduit? If you heat it evenly with a heat gun it can be bent and conformed to odd bends/shapes (within reason)

I don't think so. Most places follow the National Building Codes.

If you put the battery cables in flexible steel or aluminum conduit (non water-tight) that would provide mechanical protection and not have much impact on heat transfer. Some impact, because no direct air flow over the cable's insulation.
Following ampacity for "3 conductors in cable or raceway" would avoid any issues.

Over the years, situations like this has caused me to buy more tools. I now have a step drill to enlarge holes in metal boxes. I also have a hydraulic crimper so I can put on the lug after it goes through a conduit, cable gland or fitting.

Safer too, when working on a panel with live circuits. Other benefits are no metal shavings or mess. At my age a HF option might last a lifetime.

Over the years, situations like this has caused me to buy more tools. I now have a step drill to enlarge holes in metal boxes. I also have a hydraulic crimper so I can put on the lug after it goes through a conduit, cable gland or fitting.
Considering how much this project has cost, it wouldn't be out of the question.

My grandpa has tools that almost as old as him -- basically 100 yrs old. Incredible stuff.

Back