diy solar

diy solar

Can't find adapter to connect Jackery Solar Panel to power station

wakinghour

Hi all,

I posted on reddit a few times but gave up so I came here. I got a Jackery SolarSaga 60W solar panel (a very common one). It has an 8mm barrel plug to connect to a power station. However, the GoLabs 204wh Power Station accepts a 5.5mm x 2.1mm dc input. I cannot find the right adapter. I am surprised the lack of compatibility...two seemingly simple DC port sizes have no clear solution.

Thank you for reading!

hardware.png

Attachments

• hardware.png
    hardware.png
    517.1 KB · Views: 3
You could always get a crimping tool and use MC4, XT60, or Anderson Power Poles. If you get your own crimper, you can standardize all of your connectors, and never have the same problem.

I just looked and couldn't find ANY 8mm plugs or receptacles. For an easier (than crimping or soldering) way, you could get one of these and just screw the wires into the plug, but make sure your amperage isn't too high. A 60 watt panel at 18 volts, is less than 4 amps, so it should be okay.

You could always get a crimping tool and use MC4, XT60, or Anderson Power Poles. If you get your own crimper, you can standardize all of your connectors, and never have the same problem.

I just looked and couldn't find ANY 8mm plugs or receptacles. For an easier (than crimping or soldering) way, you could get one of these and just screw the wires into the plug, but make sure your amperage isn't too high. A 60 watt panel at 18 volts, is less than 4 amps, so it should be okay.

Interesting ideas, thank you for mentioning them. For the product you linked on eBay, would I have to open the 8mm DC and plug those wires into the terminal?

For your consideration, you could take a two barrel adapter approach:

8mm Female to 5.5mm x 2.5mm Male adapters

5.5mm x 2.5mm Female to 5.5mm x 2.1mm Male adapter

For your consideration, you could take a two barrel adapter approach:

8mm Female to 5.5mm x 2.5mm Male adapters

5.5mm x 2.5mm Female to 5.5mm x 2.1mm Male adapter
Bob,

I drew a diagram the other day of this haha! I think it's the same idea. I suppose this is feasible even if a bit odd?

Attachments

• solution.png
    solution.png
    747.3 KB · Views: 9
Bob,

I drew a diagram the other day of this haha! I think it's the same idea. I suppose this is feasible even if a bit odd?
I don't see a problem with it. It should work fine. You could also check Mouser, DigiKey and other parts sites for a single barrel adapter that gets you there.

FYI, the 8mm plug and jack that Jackery, Goal Zero etc. use are also known as DC 7909. That might help with your search.

I have used those connectors a lot, but have grown to like them less and less. Corrosion on the screws and lack of strain relief on the wires are my two main issues. XT30 and XT60 connectors require solder to build them on the cables. The type below with that gray boot and some additional heat shrink have been working well for me.

1628530012219.png

I don't see a problem with it. It should work fine. You could also check Mouser, DigiKey and other parts sites for a single barrel adapter that gets you there.

FYI, the 8mm plug and jack that Jackery, Goal Zero etc. use are also known as DC 7909. That might help with your search.
Just wanted to confirm that this method does work and GoLabs was kind enough to cover the expenses for the two adapters!

As others shared some good ideas, I wanted to try this first since it didn't require any taking things apart.

Back