diy solar

diy solar

Can't find an SCC that can handle 6090 watts of solar input

waynerupp;ert

I have 14 Sunpower 435 watt panels (6,090 watts total) solar input. (each panel 72.9 vmp, 5.97 imp) I'd love an "all in one" unit, but none will accept more than 5kw solar input. Battery bank currently is two Lifepower 48v 100ah batteries. Any thoughts or suggestions?

6090W / 48V = 127A to the battery. That's a lot of current. You could split it into two charge controllers or an all-in-one plus an extra separate charge controller.

6090W / 48V = 127A to the battery. That's a lot of current. You could split it into two charge controllers or an all-in-one plus an extra separate charge controller.
Thanks, I was hoping to find one unit that could handle all, but not looking too promising unless I want to spend $6k or more (which I don't want to do) so your idea makes sense. Thx!

That's a lot of panels for only two 48v 100ah batteries.
totally agree. I'll probably have to pick up at least one more
Thanks, I was hoping to find one unit that could handle all, but not looking too promising unless I want to spend $6k or more (which I don't want to do) so your idea makes sense. Thx!
Oh, the voltage of the panel is 72v, and 5.97 (6) imp. So the amperage input, as I calculated, would be about 84 amps (6imp x 14 panels).

Why don’t you just cascade two or more solar charge controllers?

2 Epever 60A or 80A SCCs can coordinate and would cover 6.1kW nicely (and plus, 2 MPPTs is better than one if you have any shading and/or differing panel orientation at all…).

Yes sir, it is. I'm thinking I'll be "wasting a lot of power" unless I buy at least one more 48v 100ah battery (these are the ones that Will recently featured on a video last week - the "Lifepower EG4" battery (they claim 5.12kw each).

Very true. 10240Wh of battery. Those panels can recharge them from empty to full in two hours of good sun.

totally agree. I'll probably have to pick up at least one more

Oh, the voltage of the panel is 72v, and 5.97 (6) imp. So the amperage input, as I calculated, would be about 84 amps (6imp x 14 panels).
That’s not the right way to look at it.

You are charging a 48V battery with 6.1kW of PV power, meaning up to 127A of charge current.

2 60A SCCs will be overpowered by 6% (meaning very little) while 2 80A SCCs will be able to handle all 127 with plenty of room to spare.

Why don’t you just cascade two or more solar charge controllers?

2 Epever 60A or 80A SCCs can coordinate and would cover 6.1kW nicely (and plus, 2 MPPTs is better than one if you have any shading and/or differing panel orientation at all…).
OK, since I'm kind of a newbie at this, I had not heard of Epver. I just checked them out. Interesting, thx for the suggestion!

That’s not the right way to look at it.

You are charging a 48V battery with 6.1kW of PV power, meaning up to 127A of charge current.

2 60A SCCs will be overpowered by 6% (meaning very little) while 2 80A SCCs will be able to handle all 127 with plenty of room to spare.
OK, two 80A SCCs seems to be the way to go. I'd rather have plenty of room to spare than be "at the redline." THX!

Thx all for the fast replies. Very helpful! I'm going to sign off - go get the kid some food. I'll check back later. Have a good evening everyone.

I have 14 Sunpower 435 watt panels (6,090 watts total) solar input. (each panel 72.9 vmp, 5.97 imp) I'd love an "all in one" unit, but none will accept more than 5kw solar input. Battery bank currently is two Lifepower 48v 100ah batteries. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Not following here, you say 5K of PV input. With 72.9VMP, you can run 2S4P and 2S3P. That is easily handled by something like this https://watts247.com/product/spf-3000tl-lvm-es/ which has 120V to 250V max input and max 80A per unit if you parallel two units. Or you can buy one unit, limit yourself on load and just add another CC just to harvest the PV output.

Or if you want a single All In One: https://watts247.com/product/new-gr...se-120v-240v-output-100a-at-120v-50a-at-240v/ and run 3S2P on 2 strings in case your distance from PV array to unit is long. Granted, you have 14 panels but voltage drop can play into this. You can't run 4S, VMP get's too high. You could again add a separate charge controller for those 2 panels and just hook the CC to the busbars. Many options out there.

You will probably find the 9600w of battery power lacking in capacity if this is for residential usage. Weekend cabin you might get by. I'd seriously consider adding more. As you keep adding things for the load, (we all do) then next you will want to upgrade. Keep this in mind so you don't shortchange yourself down the road.

OK, two 80A SCCs seems to be the way to go. I'd rather have plenty of room to spare than be "at the redline." THX!
That’s what I’d do in your shoes. The modest incremental cost is more than worth it to assure the SCCs are operating at well below their max rating…

Though depending of how many home-run wires you have (as well as how many array orientations and/or shaded areas), it might be worth comparing the cost of 3 60A SCCs against the cost of 2 80A SCCs…

That’s what I’d do in your shoes. The modest incremental cost is more than worth it to assure the SCCs are operating at well below their max rating…

Though depending of how many home-run wires you have (as well as how many array orientations and/or shaded areas), it might be worth comparing the cost of 3 60A SCCs against the cost of 2 80A SCCs…
Cool. I also thought about the "6090 watts" would be on a perfectly sunny day, with the panels perfectly perpendicular to the sun (and clean!). So on many days I probably won't get anywhere near the full 6090, but I definitely have to make sure my system can handle it. When I tested the panels, laying flat on the ground the VOC was like 88 and the IMP was like 3.2 - but when I raised the panel by about 20 degrees or so - the VOC stayed the same, but the amps immediately rose to 6. Impressive to see just how much a small change in the angle makes. Thanks for you ideas.

Not following here, you say 5K of PV input. With 72.9VMP, you can run 2S4P and 2S3P. That is easily handled by something like this https://watts247.com/product/spf-3000tl-lvm-es/ which has 120V to 250V max input and max 80A per unit if you parallel two units. Or you can buy one unit, limit yourself on load and just add another CC just to harvest the PV output.

Or if you want a single All In One: https://watts247.com/product/new-gr...se-120v-240v-output-100a-at-120v-50a-at-240v/ and run 3S2P on 2 strings in case your distance from PV array to unit is long. Granted, you have 14 panels but voltage drop can play into this. You can't run 4S, VMP get's too high. You could again add a separate charge controller for those 2 panels and just hook the CC to the busbars. Many options out there.

You will probably find the 9600w of battery power lacking in capacity if this is for residential usage. Weekend cabin you might get by. I'd seriously consider adding more. As you keep adding things for the load, (we all do) then next you will want to upgrade. Keep this in mind so you don't shortchange yourself down the road.
OK, I checked out the Growatt 12000T 12 kw monster - it will handle 7,000 watts solar input - definitely would do the job. My panels (in perfect conditions) will provide 6,090 watts. I'll factor in cost of this one unit - $2,588 - vs stringing 3 or 3 lower watt units together. And I will DEFINITELY be ordering at least one more Lifepower EG4 48v 100ah battery. Thx for your ideas.

OK, I checked out the Growatt 12000T 12 kw monster - it will handle 7,000 watts solar input - definitely would do the job. My panels (in perfect conditions) will provide 6,090 watts. I'll factor in cost of this one unit - $2,588 - vs stringing 3 or 3 lower watt units together. And I will DEFINITELY be ordering at least one more Lifepower EG4 48v 100ah battery. Thx for your ideas.
Looks like your other suggestion - the SPF 3000TL LVM-ES 3kw - would be a good option - and "easier on the wallet" - at $800 each. ($1,600 vs $2,588 for the "big boy"). Saving almost a grand is good. And 6kw total would be enough. Thx and have a good evening!

Just remember that the big boy puts out twice the wattage on the inverter than the SPF 3000TL LVM-ES 3kw. This might be a better choice https://watts247.com/product/spf-6000t-mpv-dvm/ but Ian may not have anymore left. And it is a low frequency inverter like the big boy. The MPP Solar might be a better choice, pure sine wave inverter. https://watts247.com/product/hybrid-lv6048-split-phase-120v-240v/ and you can always add on later.

I'd call or email Ian at Watt24/7 and see what he thinks might be the solution for you.

Mpp Solar / Voltronic Axpert Max will take a little more than 8000W over 2 MPPT's

Just remember that the big boy puts out twice the wattage on the inverter than the SPF 3000TL LVM-ES 3kw. This might be a better choice https://watts247.com/product/spf-6000t-mpv-dvm/ but Ian may not have anymore left. And it is a low frequency inverter like the big boy. The MPP Solar might be a better choice, pure sine wave inverter. https://watts247.com/product/hybrid-lv6048-split-phase-120v-240v/ and you can always add on later.

I'd call or email Ian at Watt24/7 and see what he thinks might be the solution for you.
WOW, I think this is "just what the doctor ordered." THX !!

Back