diy solar

diy solar

Can't Find the Right 4 Gang Box

Correct, I tried this the other day and it I ended up ruining my precious wires.

So I'll daisy chain the hot and neutral but i'll pigtail the grounds. Got it.

Also HOLY COW metal flush mounted boxes are expensiiiiiiiiiiiiive!!!!! All the ones i could find are like $60 minimum! Plastic flush mounted box, here I come!

Wel
Would this be passable, assuming all of the connections are minimum 6 inches length?

Also i just noticed the picture I used in this diagram doesn't have the green a ground screw (pic was taken from the web) but my GFCI does have the green screw. Also my GFCI is 20amp, not 15 amp (again, the one that is pictured in the diagram is not the one that I own)

View attachment 63198
l, since you only need the wires that originate outside the box to protrude the 6”, as long as the circuit conductor extends outside the box 6”, it is code.
The receptacles all are fed from the primary outlet, so, as long as the wire length allows easy conductor connections and screw access, I would approve that.

Oops, good catch! I didn't think of code.

If the box isn't in the circuit (but it is metal and needs to be grounded), does it need to be individually grounded? If each outlet was grounded would that suffice as a ground for the box?
No.
The box has to have its own ground. Otherwise, the metal box is ungrounded during service of the receptacle…

Correct, I tried this the other day and it I ended up ruining my precious wires.

So I'll daisy chain the hot and neutral but i'll pigtail the grounds. Got it.

Also HOLY COW metal flush mounted boxes are expensiiiiiiiiiiiiive!!!!! All the ones i could find are like $60 minimum! Plastic flush mounted box, here I come!
Use a greenie wire nut, you can tie the grounds together, with the leader extending out of the wire nut end. I use crimp rings…

Thought I'd follow up with the wiring once I finished. They're not in the box yet, but here's my progress (see pictures).
Thanks again for your help everybody!
20210904_224123.jpg20210904_224200.jpg

I would like a bit more wire length on the output of the gfci, but it should be ok.

I would like a bit more wire length on the output of the gfci, but it should be ok.
I trust your judgement, I got plenty extra wire laying around so I might as well cut new ones with an extra inch on them.

Watch those grounds when you stuff it all in the box so they don't bend and end up against the hot screws (or neutral)
Yes I was planning on trimming them to size when I put the greenie wire nut on. I need to make one more run to the hardware store so I'll update with new pictures either tomorrow or Tuesday. Thanks again for all the help everybody.

Just wanted to update y'all with my progress. 2 boxes was the simplest way to do it, so that's how I did it. I mistakenly punched out a hole in the left box because I planned on a different configuration before dedicating to this one, is that okay? Everything works, system is dandy. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?20210908_182258.jpg

Looks good

Def get the knock out plugs.

The exposed romex (nm-b) probably isn't up to code depending on where that is installed. Functionally fine, but probably should be protected.

Last edited:
Didn't know that! I will definitely pick one up.

Looks good

Def get the knock out plugs.

The diagram exposed romex (nm-b) probably isn't up to code depending on where that is installed. Functionally fine, probably should be protected.
Can you rephrase your last two sentences? I guess I'm not sure what that is referring to but I'd like to be up to code (or as close to code as possible). Are you saying that the type of Romex cable I used isn't the right kind for this application, or that there is exposed wiring somewhere, or something else?

Well, I fixed the typo. I don't know why "diagram" slipped in there.

NM-B is meant for installation where it can't be touched by people/is protected from damage (basically in wall, attic, crawlspace).

I am sure someone with more indepth understanding of the specific requirements can help out. But I had to put up sheetrock over the area in my garage to protect the NM-B.

It also shouldn't be installed inside conduit.

Well, I fixed the typo. I don't know why "diagram" slipped in there.

NM-B is meant for installation where it can't be touched by people/is protected from damage (basically in wall, attic, crawlspace).

I am sure someone with more indepth understanding of the specific requirements can help out. But I had to put up sheetrock over the area in my garage to protect the NM-B.

It also shouldn't be installed inside conduit.
Code says, basically, it the room has finished surface, NMC needs to be behind it. If not, then exposed is ok, but needs to be in a dedicated space if on a surface… a wiring room with a door.

Code says, basically, it the room has finished surface, NMC needs to be behind it. If not, then exposed is ok, but needs to be in a dedicated space if on a surface… a wiring room with a door.

Thanks for the assist and excellent details.
I thought NMC was non metallic conduit?

My garage had no finished surfaces, grumble grumble. But, it's not a dedicated wiring/electrical room.

Thanks for the assist and excellent details.
I thought NMC was non metallic conduit?

My garage had no finished surfaces, grumble grumble. But, it's not a dedicated wiring/electrical room.
Nope, its Non Metallic cable... i.e. romex.

Back