diy solar

diy solar

Can't get enough power from my newpowa panels

Guys, I made a mistake on the first post lol. I wrote 350 but was actually 250 is what I meant to write.
250/400 62.5% of what is rated.

The panel is smaller than typical and there are a 72 cells connected together. Will, i really think you should retest and buy these newpowa ones. Something isn't right. Take a look at the amazon listing and tell me what you think.
Ohhh I see what happened. That panel is a mono crystalline with 36 cells. You bought a different panel. But no matter which one you get, they will both have reduced output at this time of year. Testing at san diego with a cold panel will push it to its STC rated output. Not so much in washington during winter, even if the sun is out. The rays will get absorbed or reflected off by the atmosphere. You want sun over head for those STC output ratings.

Will, can you please take a look at the listing and image of the listing and let me know what you think. I think maybe they changed some stuff up but it doesn't make sense to me how they are smaller yet produce the same amount of power yet they use more cells, which would reduce the form factor of the panels. I watched a youtube video on how to make you're own panels from cells, and based on that, something seems wierd about newpowa.

511bTfMXNnL._SL1000_.jpg

Here is the mono panel in the video:
FireShot Capture 552 - Top 4 Amazon.com 100w Solar Panels Tested! Renogy vs. HQST vs. Rich S_ ...png

Here is the mono listing linked under the video (they now have half cells):
81e1m+-2-SL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And here is your poly panel:
123456.jpg

No, we are the real UW in seattle washington lol jk.
I can't get a pic of the back label bc the way they are mounted rn, but this is the link where I got them from.
Thank you for the panel link, GREAT Price, I will keep them in mind when i go panel shopping this summer. Anyhow, seattle is not in the sun belt, and it's winter, so keep that in mind as gray days have yucky solar gain if any. Also, the gauge size and length of your, (hopefully stranded copper), positive and negative wires that connect your Solar Charge Controller are considerable factors regarding the transfer of power from panels to controller. Power Consumption: IE If your trying to run a hair dryer, (forgive me I had to say it), you might have some difficulty creating enough power. You need to know how many watts a day you will be using ..

And this is the one you probably bought
thats correct. They're all soooo different lol.
Im gonna get renogy panels and switch them out and compare, its no fun for a tiny girl like me lol but I can tough it out. Im convinced something is not right with newpowa, call me cynical but something isn't right.

I havent even tested that panel. But I wouldn't worry about it yet. Probably best to wait till summer to test it again.

Im gonna get renogy panels and switch them out and compare, its no fun for a tiny girl like me lol but I can tough it out. Im convinced something is not right with newpowa, call me cynical but something isn't right.
Yeah the difference is mono vs poly panels. Honestly I LOVE poly panels. Using them in my backyard array right now. They work great. I dont think the renogy will give you any more output, and most renogy I test have had reduced output compared to newpowa, so I would not do that if I were you. Just wait till the season changes and your output will go up

My 4.5kw grid tie system is only producing 3.4kw and its blue skies in las vegas in winter. Very typical.

Yeah the difference is mono vs poly panels. Honestly I LOVE poly panels. Using them in my backyard array right now. They work great. I dont think the renogy will give you any more output, and most renogy I test have had reduced output compared to newpowa, so I would not do that if I were you. Just wait till the season changes and your output will go up

My 4.5kw grid tie system is only producing 3.4kw and its blue skies in las vegas in winter. Very typical.

Will, the newpowa panels are smaller and they are also poly panels. I'm I missing something here?

Will, the newpowa panels are smaller and they are also poly panels. I'm I missing something here?
Are you saying that the panel you received, and the dimensions on the amazon listing are different? Or that the listing has different number of cells than what you recieved?

You're at 47 North and getting as much or more production out of your 100W panels as I'm getting at 41 North in clear skies. To me the panels appear to be doing a good job for winter.

Nope. Let me clearify lol.
The panels from Newpowa are all polycrystalline and they are all rated at 100 watts, yet they are smaller than similar panels that are polycrystalline as well. For example, Renogy, Richsolar, LightCatcher, Windynation, all these others are 100 watt poly and all same size, NEWPOWA is about 20% smaller yet rated at 100 watts. If they were to achieve that, you would think they must use very high efficiency cells, yet they are using 72 cells instead of 36, which, from my understanding, drastically reduces efficiency.
I'm suspecting that the newpowa is really a 80 or a 75 watt panel labeled as a 100 watt panel. That's my concern.

Attachments

• 511bTfMXNnL._SL1000_.jpg
    511bTfMXNnL._SL1000_.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 61eeHK4At6L._SL1001_.jpg
    61eeHK4At6L._SL1001_.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 3
You're at 47 North and getting as much or more production out of your 100W panels as I'm getting at 41 North in clear skies. To me the panels appear to be doing a good job for winter.

That's not what i'm getting, thats the max i've gotten over the past 20 days at a point in time. That means it was on a clear day, with the sun right over the panels. It is the absolute max i've ever gotten over a 20 day period, 95% of the time, im getting much less. for a cloudy day like today, i will probably get no more than 10 to 20 watts max and probably about 60 watts for the day.

Seattle is not known for clear skies. Even when the sun is out full and bright the upper atmosphere probably still has many disturbances that reflect or refract sunlight in all directions. It's worse in the winter because the sun is much further away. San Diego in the other hand....

Using your calculations for size/efficiency, compare yours to a GOOD panel, like a 300+ watt Sunpower, LG, Canadian solar etc...and see what you come up with (curious myself). Renogy is not a big brand in the "real" solar world, so comparing to them might not mean much. The bigger panels from the top companies are usually more efficient than the smaller 100w panels that aren't competing for large scale jobs, so don't get the same R&D funding.

Seattle is not known for clear skies. Even when the sun is out full and bright the upper atmosphere probably still has many disturbances that reflect or refract sunlight in all directions. It's worse in the winter because the sun is much further away. San Diego in the other hand....

Using your calculations for size/efficiency, compare yours to a GOOD panel, like a 300+ watt Sunpower, LG, Canadian solar etc...and see what you come up with (curious myself). Renogy is not a big brand in the "real" solar world, so comparing to them might not mean much. The bigger panels from the top companies are usually more efficient than the smaller 100w panels that aren't competing for large scale jobs, so don't get the same R&D funding.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on that, but I'm just suspicious of all those rated outputs on all different types of products.
As I've experienced, a 1000 watt hair dryer from amazon isn't as powerful as a 1000 watt hairdryer from costco lol.

i'm just a bit suspicious of the rated power output on Newpowa panels because they are smaller, I would greatly appreciate it if someone can validate them. I hope they are not cheating because that just isn't fair and right thing to do.

Nope. Let me clearify lol.
The panels from Newpowa are all polycrystalline and they are all rated at 100 watts, yet they are smaller than similar panels that are polycrystalline as well. For example, Renogy, Richsolar, LightCatcher, Windynation, all these others are 100 watt poly and all same size, NEWPOWA is about 20% smaller yet rated at 100 watts. If they were to achieve that, you would think they must use very high efficiency cells, yet they are using 72 cells instead of 36, which, from my understanding, drastically reduces efficiency.
I'm suspecting that the newpowa is really a 80 or a 75 watt panel labeled as a 100 watt panel. That's my concern.
For comparison, the HQST 100W poly panel has roughly the same dimensions as the Newpowa so it's not a total outlier.

Amazon link to HQST 100W Poly Panel

And the HQST is on Will's page as a recommended 100W panel.

For comparison, the HQST 100W poly panel has roughly the same dimensions as the Newpowa so it's not a total outlier.

Amazon link to HQST 100W Poly Panel

And the HQST is on Will's page as a recommended 100W panel.

yes, but the HQST panel that Will compared was exactly same size as Renogy panel from what I remember. I'd like to think i'm a logical thinker, and somethign isn't adding up. I might be super cynical here, but i'm having my doubts.

yes, but the HQST panel that Will compared was exactly same size as Renogy panel from what I remember. I'd like to think i'm a logical thinker, and somethign isn't adding up. I might be super cynical here, but i'm having my doubts.
Could be cell spacing or rail thickness. Renogy 100W is a 80W in my opinion

I think you answered your own question with looking at other panels.

Do not discount environmental effects. Smog particulates, humidity could offset otherwise proper operation of your existing gear. Test conditions....

I would suggest buying a Hanwha Q cells or other premium module. Sunpower, etc. Shame solarworld is gone.... my 1200W arrays will do 1200W and better even with non ideal tilt angle and moderate temps. 50 cents a Watt! 300-375W modules.

Dollars per Watt is the place i look for a determining factor once i select a size and manufacturer. Not looking for cheapest Watts, looking for the best Watts for the dollar.

I cannot figure out why people are spending 1$/Watt for mini panels from playful manufacturers unless they need minimal power, 12v modules, or compact ones for tight spaces, or to break up the array to fit. Some of the only reasons to do so.

Basically if you need home or base camp power you can double your power per dollar and reduce interconnecting parts amd mounting materials, breakers cost, etc. In this way you save money, and effort and will have heirloom grade modules along with a successful build.

Longevity and performance come with reputable modules and the good stuff has ratings values which will more accurately represent real world performance making selection for design even easier and more sure. No vague and shifty de-rates needed!

Could be cell spacing or rail thickness. Renogy 100W is a 80W in my opinion
Will,
These ones are smaller. I feel like maybe they shrunk the panels as they decreased the prices. I'm gonna buy some from amazon and do some comparisons of my own and return the least efficient ones.

Which ones should I get? Im interested in the 100 watt panels because i think thats the max I can carry comfortably lol.

Back