diy solar

diy solar

Can't tilt flat roof panels enough??

jaes

First, I am new to solar. I want to put up a simple 2 panel (100 Watts each) ballasted rig to hold these two panels onto my flat roof that has a membrane surface. There are a lot of such panel rigs on the market; however, none of them allows me to tilt the panels 51 degrees (the ideal setting for me). Here's the point: I do not understand: why there are plenty of technical articles available--- that helpfully calculation how much panel tilt is ideal (for me 51 degrees) ----But what good are all of these technical calculations if I can't find a ballasted mounting rig that will allow me to tilt my panels anywhere near 51 degrees? ---One good thing, the panels will be facing South.

It might be wind related, the greater the tilt the more force from the wind. Possibly for ballasted at high tilts you'd need guy wires to keep them from tipping over? The FAQ has information on the Basics of Wind Loading, not sure if it includes information for ballast rigs. I'd suggest calling the ballasted rig panel companies to see what they say. If you do, let us know!

I live in a HVHZ (hurricane winds & debris) zone, couldn't imaging using just weights to hold my panels down. Plus, the downward force from winds is already tremendous for me, so extra roof weight as ballast would make me cringe.

Last edited:
Get a hack saw.
Cut the support legs in the middle.
Get longer legs.
Pin the legs to the ends of the two ends you just made.

Your tilt angle does not have to be exact. If you can't make 51°, can you make 40°? Or 35°? That should get you close enough. It depends where you live. Here in the southern US, as long as you can get the panels up past 30° in the winter, you will see a big jump in output. Maybe not perfect but okay. I'm sure some people will argue with me, but try using different tilt arm length and watch what happens. You don't get a huge difference until you get more than about 20 degrees away from perpendicular. Besides, there is something to the fact that the lower they are to the roof, the less likely they are to be caught by a strong wind.

Back