diy solar

diy solar

Cantilevered rack/deck cover

NEpowerandlight

I have a ramp and small front deck that receives direct sun from sun up until mid afternoon. I estimated that I can put between 6 and 8 400 watt+ panels on the a cantilevered pergola type structure.

My biggest issue is extending the railing posts 3' - 5' so I don't have to take apart the existing to put in longer 4x4's. Right now I'm probably going to use 2' long 1/2" rebar as dowels along with some epoxy and mechanical fasteners.

5b738bf10c0b32d2160bdb5797bef10e.jpg

My random comments. That's a really cool structure. 1/2" rebar won't do anything for you if I'm understanding what you're trying to do which I may not be. Look into Ironridge XR100 rails. They can give you a cantilever of almost 3' and you'll end up with a nicely engineered solution that you can get a permit for if needed.

Yeah, I don't understand the rebar idea either.

I'd use real lag volts or other hardware meant for the purpose.

If the XR100 doesn't get you the cantilever you need, they also make an XR1000 rail...

My random comments. That's a really cool structure. 1/2" rebar won't do anything for you if I'm understanding what you're trying to do which I may not be. Look into Ironridge XR100 rails. They can give you a cantilever of almost 3' and you'll end up with a nicely engineered solution that you can get a permit for if needed.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm trying to work with the existing railing system. The posts are set in concrete and about 3' to short. So basically I want to join a 3' piece of 4"x4" to the 4"x4" railing posts with a butt joint.

Back