Capacitors in inverter circuitry...

Externet

Hello all.
What are the numerous capacitors inside inverters for ? Are they in the DC input circuitry to smooth insolation variations or there is another reason ? Or are they in the AC section to supply current during demand surges from sudden equipment starting ?

Risky Rob

Solar Addict
I'm not an expert, but have been told the big capacitors on the main board of my inverter store charge and help with surge demand, such as starting motors. I only have 2, but there are spots to solder in 3 more.

nc73

Solar Enthusiast
They store energy. Did help prevent huge voltage dips when my high loads come on. Fixed my heat pump because it smoothed out the crazy voltage dips when it was running. I put a 20uf at the ac output.

chess-equality

Solar Addict
They store energy. Did help prevent huge voltage dips when my high loads come on. Fixed my heat pump because it smoothed out the crazy voltage dips when it was running. I put a 20uf at the ac output.

Do you also know how to size the DC side? I'm intending to add a super cap in my 12v system, parallel to the battery. I just don't know what size.

Last edited: