diy solar

diy solar

Capacitors in inverter circuitry...

Externet

Hello all.
What are the numerous capacitors inside inverters for ? Are they in the DC input circuitry to smooth insolation variations or there is another reason ? Or are they in the AC section to supply current during demand surges from sudden equipment starting ?

I'm not an expert, but have been told the big capacitors on the main board of my inverter store charge and help with surge demand, such as starting motors. I only have 2, but there are spots to solder in 3 more.

They store energy. Did help prevent huge voltage dips when my high loads come on. Fixed my heat pump because it smoothed out the crazy voltage dips when it was running. I put a 20uf at the ac output.

They store energy. Did help prevent huge voltage dips when my high loads come on. Fixed my heat pump because it smoothed out the crazy voltage dips when it was running. I put a 20uf at the ac output.

Do you also know how to size the DC side? I'm intending to add a super cap in my 12v system, parallel to the battery. I just don't know what size.

Last edited:
Thanks. This I do not understand. A capacitor at the AC output connection line cannot prevent dips from AC load lines becoming 'filled':oops:

Last edited:
Do you also know how to size the DC side? I'm intending to add a super cap in my 12v system, parallel to the battery. I just don't know what size.
The formula is time in seconds = Q in Coulombs divided by Intensity in Amperes t=Q/I
And Charge in Coulombs = Capacity in Farads times Voltage in volts; Q=CV

A 1 Farad super capacitor charged at 12VDC can provide 1F x 12V = 12 Coulomb
Those 12 Coulomb from the capacitor can smooth/fill/ source extra 10 Amperes sag, shortage or dip in the demand during
time = 12 Coulombs divided by 10 Amperes - 1.2 seconds.

The big caps in an inverter smooth out pulses of current drawn by high frequency step up SMPS (HF inverters) and store the boosted voltage (HF inverters), They smooth the high frequency pulses used to synthesize a sine wave (HF and LF inverters.)

From my calculations and measurements, they are not big enough on the battery side to smooth out a single 8.3 millisecond half of a 60 Hz sine wave. Just the higher frequency switching. The 60 Hz ripple current is drawn from battery; voltage ripple isn't enough to extract much energy from the capacitors.

Supercapacitors might do that, much greater capacity. If battery voltage sags, or wire resistance causes voltage drop, then the capacitors would do their thing. Or, if an inverter had a big inductor on its input as 60 Hz EMI filter. But you wouldn't believe how massive that would need to be.

From the boosted high voltage of an HF inverter, or the PV input of a grid-tie inverter, they do smooth out the 60 Hz. Several volts ripple of the capacitor supplies that energy.

Back