diy solar

diy solar

Cargo conversion- ideal solar system to power AC?

I found this Midea 12k MAW12HV1CWT for sale as a new unit on facebook that is close enough to drive to.

Anyone have any specs on this in regards to how much energy it uses for AC and for heat in real-life use? In the winter I use some basic resistance heaters when I have excess solar, but that means 1kw of energy becomes at best around 1kw of heat. Does the "heat pump" function of this unit mean that it would maybe use 500w to pump 600-1500w into my house? Anyone have a power draw from using the AC at full blast?

I'm fine with it only heating down to 41F, although lower would be better. I thought there were a few LG AC window units that did heat as well, but are those resistance heaters? I thought almost all the portable non-window units were worth avoiding, but are there some that are decent for efficiency? Someone mentioned dual hose...

In any case, to add some more info, my current midea U-shaped 8k at full blast uses around 400-500w and just noticed on ECO mode with low fan speed its around 300w. That seems crazy for how much cooling it does.

I found this Midea 12k MAW12HV1CWT for sale as a new unit on facebook that is close enough to drive to.

Anyone have any specs on this in regards to how much energy it uses for AC and for heat in real-life use? In the winter I use some basic resistance heaters when I have excess solar, but that means 1kw of energy becomes at best around 1kw of heat. Does the "heat pump" function of this unit mean that it would maybe use 500w to pump 600-1500w into my house? Anyone have a power draw from using the AC at full blast?

I'm fine with it only heating down to 41F, although lower would be better. I thought there were a few LG AC window units that did heat as well, but are those resistance heaters? I thought almost all the portable non-window units were worth avoiding, but are there some that are decent for efficiency? Someone mentioned dual hose...

In any case, to add some more info, my current midea U-shaped 8k at full blast uses around 400-500w and just noticed on ECO mode with low fan speed its around 300w. That seems crazy for how much cooling it does.
I run a 9,000BTU mini-split for my trailer. It maxes out at 1100w. It's true it will run 400-600w level on milder temps but at hi end / low end it can definitely get into 1000w for 18hrs out of 24hrs a day - e.g. 18kwh/day kind of thing.

I would think this 12,000BTU could reach up to 1500w level power consumption. Interesting that they don't show the power specs in the user manual - https://www.midea.com/content/dam/midea-aem/us/air-conditioners/window-air-conditioners/maw12hv1cwt-12000btu-wac/Costco Midea Inverter WAC User Manual Midea MAW 08k-12k CWT (ENG-ESP_PREVIEW01) 1.5.2021.pdf or in other listings like this - https://www.consumerreports.org/pro...itioner-28666/midea-maw12hv1cwt-406027/#specs
Maybe I'm just not finding them.

Thanks, I also found a link on slickdeals with some info and have just been reading through all the comments. I should have specified that it wasn't super hot when I was using it, but last year my U-shaped 8k never really used over 600w (including 40-80w of my inverter usage in that as well) no matter how hot it was. As best I can remember at least. I don't have it automated so I was looking at it quite a bit.

I found poster on the slickdeals website deal who said his 12k non-U-shaped version with heat, "the most I have been able to see it pulling is 560 watts... I'm sure that will increase as it gets hotter." and "I tried the heat pump setting and it started at 300 watts and slowly ramped up, after 10 mintues it was at 900 watts on heat."

Another person mentioned, "I was able to run it on medium fan speed for 3.5hrs on my Bluetti EB70S 800w 716Wh portable power station."

Several people commented on how quiet it is. And it can throw air a pretty good distance.

Almost hate to spread rumors because there wasn't much in the way of evidence on this, but at the very end of the thread there were one or two people discussing how the heat would shut off after a while randomly while the AC worked fine. EDIT: one person, the other said his worked fine.

In short, the reason I find it interesting (HEAT) doesn't seem well discussed or documented. If it works at all, it would almost have to be more efficient than a space heater maxing at a COP of 1, right?

This one I found for sale is around the same price as less efficient AC units that don't have heat, so I'm definitely leaning this direction, especially if I can talk them down a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help so far everyone. Here's pics of the trailer currently. 5k is too small indeed. It gets me to 62 degrees at night but during the day if the sun is beaming, it barely works. The insulation job sucks on the trailer. My main complaint. It's like 1/2 or 3/4 inch styrofoam board.
View attachment 109479View attachment 109480View attachment 109481

It would not always be possible, but what might be possible is to add a solar panel on each side.

Sort of like an awning when folded up. When in the "down" position it could help act as a shade / air gap to help keep the sun from shining directly on to the trailer. Obviously would block the view through the windows but some sunlight would still come through for lighting.

The air gap between the solar panels and the trailer walls is critical so that the hot air can rise and vent away and not conduct into the trailer.

For the record, I have many times successfully operated a Frigidaire 5000 BTU window air conditioner on a 700 watt propane-powered generator. It worked quite well for hours on end, though it worked a bit hard when the compressor was cycling. You don't know until you try.

You have a huge problem with insulation, even in full sun, if a 5000btu does not work. First priority is the rip it apart and insulate it. minimum 2 inches on the roof/ceiling and 1 on the wall. I would go 3 roof and 2 walls if you can spare the space. Be careful that your steel frame is not going to radiate heat/cold across the walls too, keep them insulated from the inside, thus 2 inches on the wall - 1 inch between the frames and another inch inside that will isolate the frame from the inside walls. Same for roof - to isolate the metal from the inside. On mine I used 1 inch wood for the inside inch frame work, and the outside is the trailer's steel frame. Aluminum frame is worse in this case as it transfers heat faster.

My trailer is a similar size and after it gets cool, 20 mins max, the compressor on AC unit cycles 1 minute out of 10. I have a 9200 btu, so about twice yours, but 1 min out of 10 if not a factor of two keep in mind, factor of 10.

9200btu or below will run on the 2200 inverter generators, but not a 1000. If yours runs on a 1000 then great.
I advise using the generator as the batteries will take up a lot of space, be really heavy and require a lot of charging (forget parking in the shade if u want the solar to charge them) and will be very heavy, needlessly heavy. Do not put this much weight on the tongue, place is over the wheels/axles as tongue weight is a huge deal and overloadeing tongue will overload your trucks rear and cause driving issues and be a safety hazard. Consider where you will travel to. Out west the nights are always cold, in the mountains the days are usually cool and dry... Make sure the AC is even going to be used a lot first.

A good generator should not give off gas odors. Since you have a trailer then keep the generator on the vehicle, farther away, preferable on a front hitch rack, and run your extension cord. 5000btu ac will not require a particularly heavy extension cord. My 9200 runs fine on a generic regular cord when I plug into the house, but the one in the truck is big. They make "extender" gas tanks that double your little generator's fuel capacity too. Mine runs 10 hours feeding the AC all night on 0.9 gallons.

With the generator this far away I cannot even hear it running, nor feel it. I have the power cord running inside the truck's frame to the back, hidden, safe and stealthy.

FullSizeRender-2.jpggenhitch1.jpg

Black metal trailer frame going side to side with 1 inch pink foam, err it says 3/4 inch, so that must be the size of the frame.. Wood 1 inch strips made by cutting up a long 2x12 going long ways. More insulation went between the wood and the wood was easy to screw the ceiling panels to. Keep them exactly evenly spaced and mark where the wood is so you know where it is when you hide it with the ceiling panels.

With solar panels over the roof the ceiling does not get warm even.
IMG_7390.JPG

I know you ordered a trailer with nice interior walls, but yea, you made a mistake. Suck it up princess. You might just have to swallow the fact that your walls get trashed so you can insulate it. Did you say aluminum walls? Lol, well, there is your problem with heat, and is why your walls are 88 degrees. This is one big radiator. Do not ever, under any circumstances use metal walls inside. This takes the heat from your aluminum exterior, aka, heat harvester, and radiates it through the metal frame to your inside metal walls, aka, heat sink.
So, rip out, shred, bend, break, whatever and remove the interior walls. Replace them with 1/8 inch wood panels or similar (fiberglass or whatever fancies your boat float but just not metal or anything that conducts heat this good). You will be very glad you did proper and correct insulation. This will pay off in spades. If you do not then my only advice is to sell the trailer and start over from scratch knowing what you know now and have it done right.

Last edited:
Back