diy solar

diy solar

Cargo Trailer -> Camper Conversion Details

OffGridInTheCity

Solar Wizard
Starting a new thread to share details of converting a 7 x 14 cargo trailer -> camper. Starting with this post from https://diysolarforum.com/threads/mini-split-on-solar.39167/#post-527038
1655221756116.png

Weight: The dual-axle trailer weighed 4,000lbs with 30gal of water + supplies... perfectly reasonable for 7,000lb capacity trailer and 5,000lb towing capability on my car. I did need Blue-Ox stabilizer / weight distribution due to sway >50-55mph - https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/Blue-Ox/BLU77FR.html The Blue-Ox smoothed everything out - can do 65mph smoothly (interstate speed in my state) and still feel completely in control. 50-55mph was just too slow for overall traffic - 60-65mph let's you blend in.

Tongue jack: After a few times of killing myself with a manual tongue jack, I went with Husky Electric - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YSGOD1O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title - because it maxes out at 30a@12v. Suggest you plan for power out at the tongue. I did a 120v -> 12v transformer tapped off the mini-split (and mounted in the box on top of the mini-split) which is why the 30a (lower amps) was important.

Much thanks for sharing!

Might be worth starting another thread but I have a few questions. I will throw them out here but feel free to bounce to a new thread if you want or PM me if you prefer. You can ignore me as well if thats your preference ;-)

Can you tell me a little more about you bathroom? Do you know what floor pan you used?
Used a Transolid FL4832L-31 Linear 48-in x 32-in Rectangular Alcove Shower Base with Left Hand Drain - http://transolid.com/transolid-linear-fl4832l-31/
The key thing is the 48-in x 32-in size :) I'm a 300lb guy and it's large enough.

Used a Nautilus RV Retractable Shower Door - https://www.stoett.com/nautilus/ Example youtube -

I see seams, is it just more of the Dumawall product?
Dumawall are thick linoleum type panels that glue to a plywood (or reasonably flat) backing - the edges interlock. Very easy to cut/install etc but totally insane expensive trim. BUT they look nice and were easy for me to install :) Just search youtube on "Dumawall"

What toilet did you go with?
Dry-flush toilet - https://dry-flush.com/?s=toilet&post_type=product There are several youtubes on it.
It's very 'sanitary' to dispose of waste and odor free after flushing - we use cat-box sand to absorb #1 and smell so we don't flush every hour :)

And... What size water tanks are you using?
30gal water and 30gal sewage/grey.

I assume just a fresh tank and grey with no black?
Since we do dry-flush toilet we don't have any sewage - just grey but the tank has a full sewer hookup on the outside because I read that some places won't accept you unless you have 'regular' sewer hookup visible.

Solar wize.. Thats quite the battery bank you got there! What size panels are you running? How did you attach them?
4 x 300w (used) panels from Santan Solar on ebay. Solar panel mounting from ebay @barryhendrick - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Rail...L-brackets-and-with-7-3-ft-rails/175203859911 The feet are bolted thru the roof to the metal roof bars - doable when when the inside is stripped for insulation install. You could use universal strut or any mounting rails that make sense for your situation.

If your good with it I have more questions I am sure :
Again thanks kindly!
Happy to share.

Last edited:
Awesome and thanks!

I had not seen that Dumawall product before. I have been trying to come up with a solution as its going to be a custom space. Those shower doors I have seen before but not seen a name. I will likely go with them as well if the prices are not to bad. I will have to have a look at my dimensions but my batroom size I am shooting for 30" wide. but I may have to push that up a bit.

The dry flush looks like one of those diaper Genie type things, that each flush twists off the bag? So you are adding kitty litter after each use to get more per flush?

I have ordered a 7x18' trailer so seeing your panels up there gives me some idea size wise how it will look. Not sure if I can swing it or not but I was thinking I might put a roof rack on it for the kayaks... Thats pretty full thought so it may take some planning and sacrifices to get everything up there.

Any big learning points you would like to share? Anything you would do different?
I am building for a family of 4... We have had a couple trailers that I have sold off. The first was pretty good but a little small (Starcraft 18BH). The second was a Piece of junk and was having major structural problems (Sundance 24BH).. I decided to build this one myself to better control every aspect. I have ordered an all aluminum trailer from a localish manufacturer. Its coming with windows and awning pre-installed.

Awesome and thanks!

I had not seen that Dumawall product before. I have been trying to come up with a solution as its going to be a custom space. Those shower doors I have seen before but not seen a name. I will likely go with them as well if the prices are not to bad. I will have to have a look at my dimensions but my batroom size I am shooting for 30" wide. but I may have to push that up a bit.

The dry flush looks like one of those diaper Genie type things, that each flush twists off the bag? So you are adding kitty litter after each use to get more per flush?
Yes a twist off bag action - completely cuts off odor. You can get maybe 20 flushes as far as the size of the bag - but using cat liter we fill it up in maybe 15flushes. With the 5"? vent fan left in open position in the shower - it's surprisingly odor free. What I like is odor free disposal - its just a lump of 'stuff' :) Not pushing dry-flush and canisters are expensive - just what we went with.

I have ordered a 7x18' trailer so seeing your panels up there gives me some idea size wise how it will look. Not sure if I can swing it or not but I was thinking I might put a roof rack on it for the kayaks... Thats pretty full thought so it may take some planning and sacrifices to get everything up there.

Any big learning points you would like to share? Anything you would do different?
It's built for 2 - me and my wife. We went comfortable/sleeping chairs with daytime personal desk areas and achieved a fully functional living space. Developed the tailgate so my wife could have a bed to sleep/layout - and that pushed it over the line to success. Its all a trade-off - stealth cargo trailer vs "bigger" RV/conventional-trailer.

Would have gone 8ft wide if one had been available when we purchased ours.
1655222755229.png

One comment that came the the youtubes is counter space, counter space, counter space! and this turned out to be true. The personal desk area near the kitchen is used to assist when cooking. The counter on top of the refrigerator in pic above - also used. Flat areas are good :)

I am building for a family of 4... We have had a couple trailers that I have sold off. The first was pretty good but a little small (Starcraft 18BH). The second was a Piece of junk and was having major structural problems (Sundance 24BH).. I decided to build this one myself to better control every aspect. I have ordered an all aluminum trailer from a localish manufacturer. Its coming with windows and awning pre-installed.
4 people is pretty tight for 7 x 20 :)

Our first Trailer was 7x18.. New one is the same size. We spend 20 weeks or so on the road over a three year period.
The new one is the same size but taller. This allows me to make the Master bed go up and down which puts the Dining table under it. Further the V-nose add some area. All said the old one was about 130 sqft, the new one doubling up the area of the bed and v nose makes it about 170 sqft. Or 24 sundance was about 192.. So all in we are right in the middle.

I did not go 8' wide as we found the first trailer a little more versatile getting in and out of spots, between trees etc. We spend a lot of time in free camping areas and that sometimes means creative parking.

Here is what the new trailer will look like (not our and a little shorter in length and height) We also have two windows on this side and storage access door in the V nose, down low like a normal Travel trailer. Saying that as I look at it I wonder if that was a mistake. Anything we put on the tongue is going to get in the way of using it.. Hmmm
CTC with Awning.jpg

Toilet wise I have seen your style of toilet before but not with the Kitty litter combo. Interesting idea! I have been leaning towards a composting toilet but they are really expensive.. So in the end I am not positive what we will do.

Counter space will be the entire front of the trailer in the V. With the sink on one side and the cooktop on the other in the V. Fridge will be opposite the door. It should provide a decent amount of work space. This is just a travel trailer for us so no office work out of it.

What is it your using on the walls? Its another decision thats coming up?

Our first Trailer was 7x18.. New one is the same size. We spend 20 weeks or so on the road over a three year period.
That's almost 1/2 the year!

I did not go 8' wide as we found the first trailer a little more versatile getting in and out of spots, between trees etc. We spend a lot of time in free camping areas and that sometimes means creative parking.
Understand and is the same reason we didn't go 7 x 16 or 7 x18 - just a little wider/longer makes it more difficult in tight spaces. We have a narrow space alongside our house where it lives and it's nice to have room to open the door :)

What is it your using on the walls? Its another decision thats coming up?
We did wall paper on top of the plywood that came with the trailer. It's 'good enough' but not that fancy and you can definitely
see the seems in the plywood.

Used laminate for the floor as I had some laying around - but even with 1" foam board insulation under the plywood - its COLD to the feet as I sleep in the chair and put my feet to the floor. I'd do something more 'carpet like' in my next one as we put rugs down anyway.

One thing I did was to use the space under the floor - the ribs were about 3" so I put the foam/wood attached to the bottom of the ribs and this left 3" space the width of the trailer between bottom of the ribs and the floor. Made some 'hatches' to open up for access in the main walkway (wasn't that bad) but was able to store a bunch of useful stuff such as axes, hoses (water and propane), extension cords... just a variety of smaller things. A bit of work but more space the better.

One pro for dry-flush - doesn't need any water. A compost won't work for me - having hit a pea spot! And cassettes use water which is nice in that it will flush but also requires extra water. **Not sure there's any perfect solution**

Last edited:
That's almost 1/2 the year!
1/2 year spread out over three years :) We did a 5 week trip to BC and Yellowstone, a 4 week trip to Newfoundland and many assort smaller 1-2 week trips all over the Eastern Seaboard.

Understand and is the same reason we didn't go 7 x 16 or 7 x18 - just a little wider/longer makes it more difficult in tight spaces. We have a narrow space alongside our house where it lives and it's nice to have room to open the door :)

Without the kids I would go smaller. Kind of a challenge as they will both be off to school over the next 5 years. I want to build it all somewhat modular so I can pull out their bunks come that time and re-appoint that space to something else.

We did wall paper on top of the plywood that came with the trailer. It's 'good enough' but not that fancy and you can definitely
see the seems in the plywood.
It was hard to tell from the photo but it looks nice. Not sure if I will do a shiplap or something of the like. Still hunting for ideas.

Used laminate for the floor as I had some laying around - but even with 1" foam board insulation under the plywood - its COLD to the feet as I sleep in the chair and put my feet to the floor. I'd do something more 'carpet like' in my next one as we put rugs down anyway.

Floors will likely be a thicker laminate with an underpad of sorts. Not positive how I am going to insulate the floor yet. 2' foam underneath or spray foam.. Likely the cheaper easier option so foam board.

One thing I did was to use the space under the floor - the ribs were about 3" so I put the foam/wood attached to the bottom of the ribs and this left 3" space the width of the trailer between bottom of the ribs and the floor. Made some 'hatches' to open up for access in the main walkway (wasn't that bad) but was able to store a bunch of useful stuff such as axes, hoses (water and propane), extension cords... just a variety of smaller things. A bit of work but more space the better.

Great idea.. Not one I can use but I like it a lot! I got the 7'6" ceilings so I can put a raised floor in the front 3/4's of the trailer. The raise will be 12". This will give me room in the raised floor for water tanks, plumbing and storage. I am getting two storage access doors on the outside of the trailer. One on the passenger side front of the Vee. And another driver side in front of the tires.

One pro for dry-flush - doesn't need any water. A compost won't work for me - having hit a pea spot! And cassettes use water which is nice in that it will flush but also requires extra water. **Not sure there's any perfect solution**

Right about that.. Still hunting whats best for the family.... I like your Dry flush idea. I need to find some time and hunt for a Canadian source and pricing.

Right now I am building out the bulk of the electrical system on the garage bench and collecting parts for when she arrives. The first trip is a few weeks after we get her so likely just going to be mattresses on the floor with some crude plumbing and bathroom. Then over the next year I will continue to build her up..

Its a pretty serious electrical system you have there.. What Inverter is it you're using? I am likely starting with a 1000W (as I have it already). Leaning towards a 2-3k down the road with a charger built in..

Its a pretty serious electrical system you have there.. What Inverter is it you're using? I am likely starting with a 1000W (as I have it already). Leaning towards a 2-3k down the road with a charger built in..
I went with an MPP Solar 3048LV ( https://www.ebay.com/p/21044733429 ) - e.g. all-in-one 48v battery / 3000w AC. It takes in grid, solar, and battery and outputs AC.

Got ya.. I have done some reading on it. Not sure I am ready for 48V. Saying that mainly because I have some 12V Lithium's I can use from work for the time being. Maybe once I get around to buying my own batteries I will reconsider.

Back