diy solar

diy solar

Carport truss?

OzSolar

Whatever you did, that's what you planned.
I'm getting ready to do a solar water pump at my place but would like to avoid the standard top of pole mount. I'll start off with two ~400 watt modules mounted on structure that I could eventually turn into a greenhouse for my wife.

Something like this ATV carport is catching my eye. I'd run some Iron Ridge rails across it and then use Iron Ridge hardware for mounting. I've already checked the engineering and to my pleasant surprise the rated PSF has plenty of room to add a solar array.

Curious if others have played around with this?

Looks like an interesting idea.

I would think some cross bracing would need to be added and some way to anchor it down.

Looks like an interesting idea.

I would think some cross bracing would need to be added and some way to anchor it down.
Totally agree on both things.

1- My thinking is that Iron Ridge rails, which I've got access to hundreds of feet of drops left over from previous projects, will stiffen up the roof and then when the modules get clamped to the rails the structure will be very stable.

2- Have you ever heard of duckbill anchors? I just did about 6 months ago. Wow... they are amazing. We've quit pouring concrete for ground mounts thanks to them. Life has gotten so much easier on the install side.

I am sure you are going to have to add in snow load which is likely over 150 pounds per square foot.... so 10 * 13 = 13 * 150 lbs = 1950 lbs of load.
In Montana I see snow loads above 400 lbs in areas....
But I am sure this is under the radar and you are going to want to keep it clear of snow anyway so just be aware....

I dream of a green house with bifacial panels across the roof peak but think a single slope roof would be best. Good Luck..

I am sure you are going to have to add in snow load which is likely over 150 pounds per square foot.... so 10 * 13 = 13 * 150 lbs = 1950 lbs of load.
In Montana I see snow loads above 400 lbs in areas....
But I am sure this is under the radar and you are going to want to keep it clear of snow anyway so just be aware....

I dream of a green house with bifacial panels across the roof peak but think a single slope roof would be best. Good Luck..
Good point. 15lbs is the snow load spec for my area. I've called a few of the carport manufacturers and they design to 35lbs so from what I'm seeing it's all good on that point.

A local guy has some of 535 watt bifacial left over from project for $230 so I'm going to pick up at least 4.

Here's another variation on that theme that I just bumped into. They sell you the fittings and you provide the locally available EMT. It would work fine right up until the time it didn't. :)

Edit: 1" EMT is $22 per 10' stick and 1.5" is ~$40. That's 2x's what they were 2 years ago. :mad:

Sacramento Canopy

1660663234438.png

Last edited:
I like the square tube one better for mounting panels....Though with EMT you can get the spacing to exactly what you want.

I like the square tube one better for mounting panels....Though with EMT you can get the spacing to exactly what you want.
That would be my preference as well. I'm just in the brainstorming phase at the moment and eager to hear anyone's input.

Last edited:
If you built the EMT one low to the ground it would be much more stable.

But then you would still owe your wife a greenhouse ?.

And that seems like a fantastic deal on new bifacials at 43 cents per Watt !

Last edited:
The emt frame is interesting. Would be an inexpensive option. If their was a 30 degree slope option instead of the low slope I would probably go this route.

The emt frame is interesting. Would be an inexpensive option. If their was a 30 degree slope option instead of the low slope I would probably go this route.

Couldn’t you just make the back legs longer or the front legs shorter to accomplish 30 degrees ?

It will place a bit more stress on the angle brackets but at $45 for the kit it seems worth a try.

I would look at the wind loading as well and the rotational force that a large sail (like a solar panel) would make when the wind catches it. If it's open frame, leave a fist full of space between panels and make sure it's well anchored. If the entire frame is enclosed (like a greenhouse), then the wind is less of a concern. I could caution against the EMT conduit as it is very thin, and the connectors are just spring clamps. I have one as a shade for cows and already replaced pieces of it due to the wind twisting it at the joints. The connectors are stronger than the pipes and the pipes buckle in 30+mph winds.

It's pretty interesting to me as well. Seems like if you we're only trying out a few 100 watt modules that would be the way to go. EMT used to be almost free but now that 1" EMT is $22 per 10' stick and 1.5" is ~$40 per stick.

But then you would still owe your wife a greenhouse ?.
I found a nice greenhouse kit at Lowe's for less than $600 that will let me "check that box". I've got at least six 4'x8' used solar water heating panels that I've been intending to salvage the glass off of for a green house. As my wife says... "I'll get to that project any decade now" :LOL:

Good point. 15lbs is the snow load spec for my area. I've called a few of the carport manufacturers and they design to 35lbs so from what I'm seeing it's all good on that point.

A local guy has some of 535 watt bifacial left over from project for $230 so I'm going to pick up at least 4.

Here's another variation on that theme that I just bumped into. They sell you the fittings and you provide the locally available EMT. It would work fine right up until the time it didn't. :)

Edit: 1" EMT is $22 per 10' stick and 1.5" is ~$40. That's 2x's what they were 2 years ago. :mad:

Sacramento Canopy

View attachment 107130
This looks like it might be an option for me. Will reach out to see if they can do a High Peak angle for a low slope. I have 40 panels to get mounted. So glad I can get tubing at wholesale!

This looks like it might be an option for me. Will reach out to see if they can do a High Peak angle for a low slope. I have 40 panels to get mounted. So glad I can get tubing at wholesale!
Keep us posted!

If I go down that route I'll likely shorten the sticks to ~7' or so which would be stronger than full 10' sticks. Another option would be using the full 10' and buying extra middle brackets so I'd have a vertical support every 5'.

Keep us posted!

If I go down that route I'll likely shorten the sticks to ~7' or so which would be stronger than full 10' sticks. Another option would be using the full 10' and buying extra middle brackets so I'd have a vertical support every 5'.
So I emailed back and forth with them. They do not have the brackets to do what I want. They are willing to create a "Hybrid" setup where I get the brackets for the two types - but I would have to cut, bend, and reweld one set for the correct angle. I can do that at work, but I am not sure at this point if it is worthwhile. Esp since I can buy metal wholesale.

So I emailed back and forth with them. They do not have the brackets to do what I want. They are willing to create a "Hybrid" setup where I get the brackets for the two types - but I would have to cut, bend, and reweld one set for the correct angle. I can do that at work, but I am not sure at this point if it is worthwhile. Esp since I can buy metal wholesale.
Similar kits exist for 1 3/8 chain link rail in the same price range.

Carport Canopy Fitting Kit 1-3/8" ID Connector Bracket for High Peak 6L Frame

I was thinking 30 degrees equals 1/3 of 90 degrees so that should equate to a 4/12 pitch. The ebay link states 30 degrees equals 7/12.
Am I wrong?

Back