diy solar

diy solar

Casters for EG4 battery rack

8-ball

Hi quick question. Has anyone bought the EG4- 6 slot battery rack from Signature Solar and found wheel casters that actually fit it? They have pre drilled holes for casters but with 6 batteries it will weigh 654lbs not including the rack itself. So I need casters that will handle that weight. However I cannot seem to find casters that can handle that weight and also line up with the pre drilled holes. If they line up they are under weight or they can hold the weight and they don’t line up. It seems the 2” casters are the only ones that fit the holes. Max I found was a 450lb capacity in that size. I would think Signature Solar would have included the casters with the battery rack when they sell it, but no. I emailed Signature Solar as well but no reply yet. Oddly enough the rack itself is supposed to be able to hold 900lbs. The screw holes are 35mm X 55mm or 2.25in X 1.5in on center.

Attachments

• CCD7B820-93D3-45FF-BD62-FE99F16EE82E.jpeg
    CCD7B820-93D3-45FF-BD62-FE99F16EE82E.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 13
Make sure to divide the total weight by 4, because if it has 4 wheels, each wheel will only be holding 1/4 the total weight. I bought some good casters for a datacenter rack before, and found some with polyurethane tires (with jam brakes) and they proved to be very strong.

I don't remember the exact weight spec I had found, but I just looked for the highest weight rating I could find for the size (that appeared to have a heavy duty bracket and pivot bearing) I was after and they worked good.

Last edited:
Make sure to divide the total weight by 4, because if it has 4 wheels, each wheel will only be holding 1/4 the total weight. I bought some good casters for a datacenter rack before, and found some with polyurethane tires (with jam brakes) and they proved to be very strong.

I don't remember the exact weight spec I had found, but I just looked for the highest weight rating I could find for the size (that appeared to have a heavy duty bracket and pivot bearing) I was after and they worked good.
I am dividing by the 4 wheels. The highest weight rating I could find was 150lb per caster which isn’t enough.

We just pick ours up from a local supply store - I think we've even gotten some from Home Depot - although the rack is rated for 900 lbs, with 6 batteries it's only about 650 lbs.

I just searched on Google for 'heavy duty caster' (went to the 'Shopping' tab) and came up with a bunch of examples that look like they'd work decently.

Something like this says 725 lbs:

Or even more heavy duty 'dually' if you want (1800 lbs):

I don't know if it would matter if you'd think you'd need the type with the 4-bolt flange or if you'd rather use the type with the single mounting stud, but those are just some examples.

It seems like the 4-bolt flange type would work. If needed, you could make a steel plate adapter to make the mounting base larger if needed. I'd almost rather use a 4-bolt flange type for better strength on the mounting point.

Last edited:
Wow, casters on a battery rack scare me. Too much time in Earthquake Country I guess.

Thank you everyone for your reply, however I looked at all the ones you mentioned, I even got some from home depot but none of them line up with the pre drilled holes. Finally I found this. After trying multiple different one I found some that finally fit the plate holes. However these only hold 150lbs x4=600lbs so its pushing the limit with 6 batteries. The screw holes are 35mm X 55mm or 2.25in X 1.5in on center. If you look at the ones everyone mentioned above none of the screw holes fit that pattern.

Thank you everyone for your reply, however I looked at all the ones you mentioned, I even got some from home depot but none of them line up with the pre drilled holes. Finally I found this. After trying multiple different one I found some that finally fit the plate holes. However these only hold 150lbs x4=600lbs so its pushing the limit with 6 batteries. The screw holes are 35mm X 55mm or 2.25in X 1.5in on center. If you look at the ones everyone mentioned above none of the screw holes fit that pattern.

Just drill new holes (can even put a new plate over the mounting area, drill fresh set of holes, put some flat washers on both sides, etc). Use the wheels you want that would be best suitable. That's just my opinion though. I wouldn't worry about lining up to the original holes (I'm even like a perfectionist type, but I've loosened up a lot in the last several years, got to be pragmatic too, which is also a form of perfection, to be realistic, and know that nothing is perfect in this world, true perfection is a balance of perfect imperfections, everything serving their intended purposes well)...

Hey 8-ball,

Signature actually sells the casters for the racks. I had to call and order over the phone because I couldn't find them on their site.

I received them but haven't installed yet, so can't comment on whether they fit or match the hole pattern. I'll be bummed if they don't LOL.

Hey 8-ball,

Signature actually sells the casters for the racks. I had to call and order over the phone because I couldn't find them on their site.

I received them but haven't installed yet, so can't comment on whether they fit or match the hole pattern. I'll be bummed if they don't LOL.
I will be curious to know if they do. But none the less I found some and so far they are working.

I'd be checking on the casters that come with the chrome wire shelving sold at costco, etc... They're notorious for being heavy duty casters that many people don't bother to use, and then they end up using the leveling/stationary feet instead. I probably have a set here.

However I don't own this rack and don't know about them fitting!

Hey again just to finish this off.

I did install the casters from Signature and they ARE really heavy duty, and seem to work fine. Two of the casters have wheel stops and the other two are free wheelin'. Only problem with them so far was the mounting hardware that came with them. I didn't measure what gauge they are, but the bolt head and the nut for the opposite end were so small that one side of the nut could/would drop into the hole/slot of the caster mounting plate. I bought some washers for both sides in order to fasten the casters securely. I just dont know how this can happen. Does not seem super difficult to size the mounting hardware for the hole/slot size. But what do I know?

I know Signature is growing and are super busy, and I don't mind a few washers. I'm just happy they're around and have lots of solar stuff for sale. They've done right by me on every transaction I've had with them.

Anyway if I encounter any other problems once I load the batteries in, I'll revisit this thread. But they are heavy duty, so I'm not expecting any problems. Makes moving the rack

Happy Monday!

I would have a safety chain when installed and stationary. Good practice with something that heavy, and full of energy.

Hey again just to finish this off.

I did install the casters from Signature and they ARE really heavy duty, and seem to work fine. Two of the casters have wheel stops and the other two are free wheelin'. Only problem with them so far was the mounting hardware that came with them. I didn't measure what gauge they are, but the bolt head and the nut for the opposite end were so small that one side of the nut could/would drop into the hole/slot of the caster mounting plate. I bought some washers for both sides in order to fasten the casters securely. I just dont know how this can happen. Does not seem super difficult to size the mounting hardware for the hole/slot size. But what do I know?

I know Signature is growing and are super busy, and I don't mind a few washers. I'm just happy they're around and have lots of solar stuff for sale. They've done right by me on every transaction I've had with them.

Anyway if I encounter any other problems once I load the batteries in, I'll revisit this thread. But they are heavy duty, so I'm not expecting any problems. Makes moving the rack

Happy Monday!
Can you share the height of castors?

BTW, there is more than one cabinet available that is not commonly known about. There is one called "EG4 Storage Solutions 6 Slot Battery Rack" which features an enclosed cabinet design AND casters. It also ships pre-assembled. I actually just bought it today along with the rest of my order...25% with the purchase of a battery. (I bought 4) Not a ton off but helpful. I went with this one as I have 7 small grandchildren and prefer the system locked up beside the room door.

--------------
The cabinet door swings open on a sturdy hinge, allowing easy access to the equipment and cables for easy installation. The doors panel locks securely to help prevent damage, tampering, and/or theft. The front and back side panels are vented, allowing for air to flow freely and keep equipment cool. Top and bottom ports allow for easy cable routing.

The Cabinet comes fully assembled and ready to roll (with casters of course, making it a mobile-ready rack). The casters are removable for easy stacking of the enclosure cabinets.

Included:
Assembled 6 Stack Cabinet + Castors

Features:

• Constructed from heavy-duty steel
  • Durable black powder-coated finish
  • Dimensions: 24 in x 26 in x 46 in

received an enclosed rack in December 2022
and it has new wheels that have 'unique' mounting holes nothing like the picture above.

They seem to be ??? clones of a popular wheel from FOOT MASTER
thumb-25e52d0988e8fa7b0c41e26532836c17685a5ebf2327f3eb738071fa2017f1db_600x260.jpg

FOOT MASTER & Caster & Wheels | G-DOK

www.footmastercasters.com

After some use I decided these casters are not meant to be FULL time wheels at the weight of the full EG4 battery rack (and someday was thinking of adding the 3 high rack to the top, as some have done, to get 9 EG4-LL's on wheels) so tried to find a 'more' heavy duty caster solution.

If the GD-60 like casters that now (?) ship with the rack are a 'good' clone of a GD-60 caster it would be over 600 lbs per caster but it looked like it was struggling with 4 batteries in rack until I put the leveling foot down on the concrete floor
(which is how I think they are intended to be used).

[ from web site - Optimum leveling ease occurs at 50% of 4 casters total capacity ]

Load Capacity / 1pcs280 kg == 617 lbs
Load Capacity / 4pcs560 kg == 1278 lbs from the foot master web site - may be limit it levels well, not the actual limit

But these leveling GD-60 wheels use a caster plate holes pattern that NO one else seems to use.

Size of Plate73 x 73 mm
Plate Hole Centers58 x 58 mm : 58 mm = 2.28 inches = 2 9/32 inches
Plate Hole7 or 8.5 mm

If you went up to next size GD-80 leveling caster (to get a higher weight limit) those casters use a different pattern

Load Capacity / 1pcs550 kg == 1212 lbs
Load Capacity / 4pcs1,100 kg == 2425 lbs again from web site

Size of Plate90 x 90 mm
Plate Hole Centers70 x 70 mm : 70 mm = 2.76 inches = 2 3/4 inches
Plate Hole9 mm

so that won't be a no drama swap candidate even if you wanted to buy 4 of the GD-80's.

So even harder to find an alternate caster. Was thinking I will have to drill / tap new holes in a standard pattern
so looked for good candidates

Seems the nearest 'standard' size plate on swivel caster wheels (with locks) that would be available
in a > 750 lbs per caster is the 4 x 4 1/2 inches plate (I want some margin for long life of caster)

Lots to choose from but they are getting to real money level for a set of 4.

Amazon has some non 4 x 4.5 casters rated for > 750 lbs that are cheaper but
with a non-standard plate size. That isn't what I was looking for.

With non-standard plate size if I pick/buy a dud caster I want to have other options
with same mounting holes ! Can't with the non high volume plate size/pattern

So maybe I'll have to settle and use the leveling feet mode of the casters that shipped with this flavor of the EG4 rack
Really wanted 24/7/365/decades full time wheels casters like the pictures on Sig Solar web site
but now understand the problems they are having figuring out a good solution at a price sensitive cost.

But the ones they used with the rack mentioned above WON'T fit on this flavor rack.

If you can weld, these looked interesting as you would be able to use any 4x4.5 inch plate caster it seems

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-caster-pad-quick-release-4du20/i/G3222922/ (available for more money at other vendors)

they are available for other standard caster plate sizes too, but larger plate adapters might not fit to weld on the foot on the bottom of the EG4 rack.

Z1-Jqtfo5o_.JPG

reminder - this caster's plate is 73 x 73 mm

1674129642927.png
so, you could weld 4 of these plate adapters on the 4 corners of the rack (to the square metal plate they already welded to rack - see picture above

Then you can slip in whatever 4 x 4.5 inch caster catches your eye and doesn't drain your wallet.
But, of course, more cost (4 plate adapters AND 4 casters) but no tapping for bolts

Back