diy solar

diy solar

CATL 271Ah cell issues.

My main supplier simply asks for pictures and then he replaces the cells with no problem. There has been shipping damage on a few cells over the past 9-10 months and it is never a problem with him. He is the one that shipped the CATL 202ah that showed up damaged.

The other one there has been 1 problem shipment other than the one I got. I still don't have a count from my son on how many of the 100 cells I got are actually damaged, or any pictures yet. He works a full time job and has two young kids so it sometimes takes a few days for him to be able to sort things out.

Just found out that they are on another 3 day holiday in China and so I will not get any more information from them until at least Monday night or Tuesday morning.

Sounds good, Michael; thank you for the update. Was the supplier that sent you 100 cells and the third supplier bothh shipping 300+ amp hour cells?

Thanks for the replies.

Best Regards,

So there’s a potential compensation plan for damaged deliveries.

What of the issues of WHAT was sent?

I see there is some information coming in on damaged cells and that there is a Chinese holiday slowing the correspondence from suppliers, but so far I have not seen any info from @Michael B Caro reguarding those that had our cells recalled by the sender. Did I miss something in the feed on these? TY

I see there is some information coming in on damaged cells and that there is a Chinese holiday slowing the correspondence from suppliers, but so far I have not seen any info from @Michael B Caro reguarding those that had our cells recalled by the sender. Did I miss something in the feed on these? TY
Cells recalled by the sender should not be a problem getting refunds on....it is just taking time for them to go through their process.

Guys, DO NOT FILE WITH PAYPAL OR THROUGH YOUR CREDIT CARD for refunds unless your cells have not/were never shipped.

I have ALWAYS stated that I would do all I could to work with the supplier to resolve any issues....and I am doing that. The process is a hell of a lot slower than I would like but it is what it is. I CAN NOT do a refund when the money is with the supplier....as soon as I can get a resolution with them I will provide all of the relief I can.

Those of us who already did send you all the info and pics, what's up with our resolution??
As of the 16th, they were saying that the process could take up to two more weeks. So, hopefully they will have something for us a week from tomorrow. But, going by what suppliers have tried in the past, I am guessing it will NOT be what we want and I will have to fight with them some more to get what we should get. Just being honest

Sounds good, Michael; thank you for the update. Was the supplier that sent you 100 cells and the third supplier bothh shipping 300+ amp hour cells?

Thanks for the replies.

Best Regards,
The supplier that shipped me the 100 cells was a different supplier than the one with all of the crap CATL shipments. The supplier that is the main problem shipped cells that were up to 310ah.

My supplier that shipped CATL cells from EV packs is dependable and packs them well. Not sure what happened with the 202ah cells from him that one guy got that were damaged in shipping....but that supplier seldom has cells damaged in shipping and he is really good about doing the right thing when that does happen.

Thank you for the update, Michael. Hopefully we can get another from this supplier within the 2 weeks he mentioned.

What have the other 2 suppliers said? And, Can you let those of us who want to know their supplier what supplier supllied our cells? Again, you can protect Your suppliers identity and remain anonymous by saying supplier A, B, C.

For anyone in the know, I have a few questions:

1. Can the recipient file a claim? It seems we've gone back and forth on this one.

2. If anyone has (filed a claim) was there any pushback due to the unmarked contents and lacking of andard of care in packaging?

Thanks again!
As I have said, one of the other suppliers is solid and will make things right. There is no doubt in my mind of that.

The other one is acting like they will do the right thing, and there are really only a couple of orders from them that have been a problem. The problem with them was that there real/main business is selling drop in ready batteries. They produce their own cells for those and I was able to form a relationship that allows me to buy some from they every month. But, they apparently didnt know crap about shipping cells to the US. They packed 6 in a box. Which was over weight and so the shipping forwarder re-boxed them and didn't use anywhere near a heavy enough box or enough foam padding. They got lucky that there were not more damaged cells than there were on those orders.

Michael, can those of us with existing orders, which are hopefully in transit, get tracking information?

Cells recalled by the sender should not be a problem getting refunds on....it is just taking time for them to go through their process.
So, I can expect a refund and not a replacement shipment then, correct? I understand that the cell supplier was the weak chain in the plan, but were they also supposed to send out the BMS's I ordered from you? Should I find another source for those too? I admit to being confused, TYIA for your attention in this matter.

As of the 16th, they were saying that the process could take up to two more weeks. So, hopefully they will have something for us a week from tomorrow. But, going by what suppliers have tried in the past, I am guessing it will NOT be what we want and I will have to fight with them some more to get what we should get. Just being honest
What are we expecting to get? A replacement or a refund?

The supplier that shipped me the 100 cells was a different supplier than the one with all of the crap CATL shipments. The supplier that is the main problem shipped cells that were up to 310ah.

My supplier that shipped CATL cells from EV packs is dependable and packs them well. Not sure what happened with the 202ah cells from him that one guy got that were damaged in shipping....but that supplier seldom has cells damaged in shipping and he is really good about doing the right thing when that does happen.
Well Michael,
I believe that I can shed some light on at least part of the cause of damage to my shipment of 202's.

After 14 days trying to get the boxes from my local FedEx distribution center I have received 9 of 14 boxes, FedEx returned the last 2 boxes to the shipper last night, I managed to reject 2 boxes at delivery and 1 box was delivered to the wrong address...

7 of the 9 boxes I did receive had sustained significant damage and only 1 box contained 4 relatively undamaged cells.

While I personally wouldn't absolve FEDEX of any responsibility. One significant factor became apparent, only one (1) box of the eleven (11) boxes I observed had foam inserts for side protection / structural integrity of the package.

All of the boxes had foam inserts for the top and bottom. It appears that the top inserts may be designed for use for cells without studs, as the studs pushed through the foam in every box and in many cases even the cardboard box. Another 1/2" - 3/4" of foam on top would've prevented this..

The only box that arrived with the 4 cells mostly undamaged had 2 additional foam inserts added for side protection. I'm guessing these were the last 2 they had around as there is actually room for 3 inserts.

Its apparent that in addition to impact protection, these side inserts provided stability of the cells in transit keeping them from constantly shifting and provided rigidity to the whole package.

I'm pretty confident that if they had just used 3 extra foam inserts in each box most of my cells would have arrived intact.

I'm working on emails...

Attachments

• 20210921_160005.jpg
    20210921_160005.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
As I have said, one of the other suppliers is solid and will make things right. There is no doubt in my mind of that.

The other one is acting like they will do the right thing, and there are really only a couple of orders from them that have been a problem. The problem with them was that there real/main business is selling drop in ready batteries. They produce their own cells for those and I was able to form a relationship that allows me to buy some from they every month. But, they apparently didnt know crap about shipping cells to the US. They packed 6 in a box. Which was over weight and so the shipping forwarder re-boxed them and didn't use anywhere near a heavy enough box or enough foam padding. They got lucky that there were not more damaged cells than there were on those orders.
Micheal, Thank you for trying to keep us (that have damaged CATL shipments) informed on what is going on. I (and I am assuming others) were really getting worried / frustrated from lack of information with respect to what you are doing in the background. With any luck in a week or two or three we will at least know what the companies (CATL vendors) are willing to do for us. We appreciate all the work you are doing behind the scenes and are all cheering for you to get a reasonable solution to this disaster. Hopefully everyone will trying to send positive thoughts your way to make this bearable for everyone.

Back