diy solar

diy solar

CATL 271Ah cell issues.

Any indication on box who supplier actually was ?
Not unless you can read Chinese? Looks like it was shipped to an intermediary in California.

Attachments

• IMG_8752.JPEG
    IMG_8752.JPEG
    280.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8753.JPEG
    IMG_8753.JPEG
    463 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8754.JPEG
    IMG_8754.JPEG
    525.6 KB · Views: 30
Yeah that did not happen. 1 inch of foam on one side (possibly the side and not the top or bottom but honestly I could not tell as the batteries in the boxes were every which way when the arrived) ... AND ... 1 inch of foam in the bottom that had 4 pockets about 1 inch deep for the batteries. In my case, the pocketed part was crushed by the batteries laying all out of place and all over each other.

I am still waiting on some one to hear from @Michael B Caro . Has anyone?
Not yet......

Not yet......
This is not good. Does anyone have Michaels number? I left a note on bigbossbattery.com, and a direct conversation to no avail.
Why would he sit on vacation while all this is happening? ( is he related to Biden?)

Curious as to whether anyone who has received CATL 271ah cells from these recent shipments (that are not too badly damaged) has done any top balancing or capacity testing to see if they are legit 271ah?

This is not good. Does anyone have Michaels number? I left a note on bigbossbattery.com, and a direct conversation to no avail.
Why would he sit on vacation while all this is happening? ( is he related to Biden?)
Nobody said he was on vacation. I am hoping he is ok because this isn't like him.

Curious as to whether anyone who has received CATL 271ah cells from these recent shipments (that are not too badly damaged) has done any top balancing or capacity testing to see if they are legit 271ah?
Just wondering if that is a good idea? All of them seem to have been thrown off of Mt. Everest I wonder if there could be internal damage that would not be readily evident?

Nobody said he was on vacation. I am hoping he is ok because this isn't like him.
To add on to this, I've ordered from him in past as well and believe him to be an honest person so I wouldn't worry along those lines.. The last time he was away for a while he had some health issues and was in hospital so I hope everything is okay and people can be a little more forgiving even though I know it is hard being in a position not knowing what is going on.

He was here Sunday but didn't post anything. He knows what is happening. Time for refunds. What is his phone number?
You don't actually know that for sure.. one of his browser windows could simply have been left open at diysolarforum and his computer woke up for whatever reason...

You don't actually know that for sure.. one of his browser windows could simply have been left open at diysolarforum and his computer woke up for whatever reason...
Where are his daughter and son that he's training or bringing up to speed. They probably come to the forum. A simple were on this don't worry would help

Tough luck on these stories. I wonder if there’s a lesson to be learned from this of dealing with reputable vendors with a reputation they need to uphold instead of a fly by night guy offering group buys on some forum. Sometimes price isn’t the only concern.

By the looks of it lots of illegal shipments were sent out, all lithium batteries need proper hazmat identification, no? I wonder if shippers are now going after either the seller or the buyers for the liability. Ever order a lithium battery for your cordless drill from Home Depot or small 18650 powered usb bank from Amazon? I picked up a small hand held fan that has a 3000mah 18650 cell and it was properly labeled.

Tough luck on these stories. I wonder if there’s a lesson to be learned from this of dealing with reputable vendors with a reputation they need to uphold instead of a fly by night guy offering group buys on some forum. Sometimes price isn’t the only concern.
Just to be clear, the person who this group buy went through has done this for quite a while on this forum with many happy customers including myself.

I want to mirror that. Many of us have been watching this forum for a long time now. We only put down our money after trust was developed. If someone requested a refund, they quickly reported that it was received. Others receiving the products they requested were quick to comment on their satisfaction.

Michael is a business person. He offered a fair price for a product. It was up to the customer to choose to buy. There was never any pressure. The deal was there for the taking or leaving.

If there ever was an intent to do harm, this would have happened a long time ago. From all of my readings over a number of months, this never happened. It would be easier if Michael were able to speak to these supply issues. However, knowing the long hours I have observed him present on this forum in the past, there has to be a sound reason for the silence. Given that he was in the hospital in the past, one can only hope that he is well.

Yes I am nervous. I also ordered the CATL cells and they are on the way. From the sounds of things, one of the distributors decided to cut corners. This was at the source in China. I have confidence that this will eventually be ironed out. How long that takes remains a question.

This is not the first time there have been problems with orders. In the past, there were reports that he provided batteries from his own stock. He was more than the typical middleman. Those who have been following this thread and others for long time have noted this as well.

Last edited:
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results”

IMO he is a middleman with no skin in the game of what random stuff was shipping to fill his orders it seemed like the risk was all on the buyer and there all along waiting for this to happen.

My CATL 271 cells arrived today. Ordered 16. 4 were so badly damaged that UPS would not ship them out of Cali to FL. Got the other 3 boxes. None are usable. Leaking Electrolyte. My whole office smells like electrolyte right now. Most or all of the black top areas are badly damaged. Swollen. These should have been deemed bio hazards and not shipped at all. Going to need a full refund

These were billed as New Grade A cells. Yet there are NO QR codes, No labels, leaking and swollen.

This is the 3 boxes of 4 batteries as they arrived.

The Boxes:
View attachment 60377View attachment 60378View attachment 60380View attachment 60381
View attachment 60382
Looking closer at the boxes, these look like they were either in an accident, or fell off the back of a truck. Did the container fall? They were obviously re-taped by someone. Did they not want their insurance company notified? Something is way off. The fact that there is no warning sticker for lithium batteries, also means they did not pay a hazmat charge, and the shipment was illegal?

Back