CATL 271Ah cell issues.

Michael B Caro

Photon Sorcerer
@Michael B Caro

Are you disputing ALL cells/orders?
Since you have disputed, what is the spread sheet for? How does this spreadsheet differ from the PM we sent or the emails you requested we send to your created email? Also, you said younwould be contacting people directly to give another email address to. Didnyou do this? I never heard from you.

Are you within your window to dispute with alibaba?
Yes I filed for a refund for almost all of the cells I ordered from them within the time period allowed, and yesterday elevated that request to a dispute.
There is an exception to the time period for anything that was never delivered, and so the rest of them can still be included and I am trying to get the Alibaba rep that is handling this to get back with me so that I can give them more evidence, and include the rest of the orders.
I plan on referring them to this thread in addition to all of the pictures and other evidence I submitted when doing the refund request. I could not send all of the evidence you guys have provided as there is a limit to how many attachments you can provide when filing.

Michael B Caro

Photon Sorcerer
You should add the number of cells with scratched QR codes. I guess that is a problem for those of us that ordered for brand new, grade A cells only to end up with scrap.
Scratched QR codes do not mean that the cells is not new. CATL scratches off QR codes on nearly everything they do not sell out the front at the highest of prices. That is so that no one can buy commodity cells from Alibaba or Aliexpress and then come back on CATL for refund or replacement. Refunds and replacements for those cells have to be done by the supplier and not CATL.

The idea that scratched of QR codes means the cell is not new is erroneous. At least this is the information that has been given to me by ever supplier I have talked to, no matter if they have CATL to sell or not.

Made in North Pole

Off-grid Addict
Scratched QR codes do not mean that the cells is not new. CATL scratches off QR codes on nearly everything they do not sell out the front at the highest of prices. That is so that no one can buy commodity cells from Alibaba or Aliexpress and then come back on CATL for refund or replacement. Refunds and replacements for those cells have to be done by the supplier and not CATL.

The idea that scratched of QR codes means the cell is not new is erroneous. At least this is the information that has been given to me by ever supplier I have talked to, no matter if they have CATL to sell or not.
Scratched QR codes does not mean the cells are new as well. While it is possible to buy CATL cells with scratched QR codes, it is also possible to buy CATL cells (even on Alibaba or Aliexpress) with intact QR codes. CATL can just put in a policy of non-transferable warranty, then they don't have to worry about scratching out the codes (if that is true). A situation where all possible means of identification was removed raises suspicion about the batteries. If a seller is selling batteries that cannot be identified, the buyer should be aware.

AER

Solar Enthusiast
Scratched QR codes does not mean the cells are new as well. While it is possible to buy CATL cells with scratched QR codes, it is also possible to buy CATL cells (even on Alibaba or Aliexpress) with intact QR codes. CATL can just put in a policy of non-transferable warranty, then they don't have to worry about scratching out the codes (if that is true). A situation where all possible means of identification was removed raises suspicion about the batteries. If a seller is selling batteries that cannot be identified, the buyer should be aware.
And it's not like this is the most trustworthy organization

RollingThunder

Solar Enthusiast
Got it and responded. I will send you the cost of shipping and the tracking number as soon as she gets them shipped
@Michael B Caro It has been over a week since you said my Kehengs would be shipped out by your daughter. Have they been sent, and do you have the tracking number?
If she hasn't sent them yet, please be sure she remembers the bus bars, etc.

gilatm

So is the Google form ready for me to use? (It had sounded like we were waiting for an edit.)

tbuechner

Just an average Joe that like solar
Yeah, go ahead and fill it out. If Michael decides to add questions, folks who have filled it out can update.
Suferdudemi, Ok, I stated to fill out our form but it really does not give a good idea of what I ended up with from my shipment. I would suggest having a entry for more description or details.

In my case I ordered 8, new 280Ah CATL cells. What came in the shipment was one box of 4 cells, probably new but damaged (dented badly) 280Ah CATL cells and one box of 4 cells, who know what brand (not CATL), not even the same physical size cells, badly bulged, badly dented (very surprised a couple are not leaking from the shapeless of the dents), used cells (added blue tap all over them), with scratched out bar codes.

In reference to your form, first it calls out 271Ah cells and there is no place to say that I was shipped 4 cells that were not CATL and were crap.

If you could added a section for comment I would add the above description so Micheal understands what I really got.

Surferdudemi

Solar Enthusiast
Suferdudemi, Ok, I stated to fill out our form but it really does not give a good idea of what I ended up with from my shipment. I would suggest having a entry for more description or details.

In my case I ordered 8, new 280Ah CATL cells. What came in the shipment was one box of 4 cells, probably new but damaged (dented badly) 280Ah CATL cells and one box of 4 cells, who know what brand (not CATL), not even the same physical size cells, badly bulged, badly dented (very surprised a couple are not leaking from the shapeless of the dents), used cells (added blue tap all over them), with scratched out bar codes.

In reference to your form, first it calls out 271Ah cells and there is no place to say that I was shipped 4 cells that were not CATL and were crap.

If you could added a section for comment I would add the above description so Micheal understands what I really got.
All of the fields in the form are short answer. Not sure how many characters, but you can type in some text up to whatever it allows.

Last edited:

BobR

Solar Enthusiast
Michael B Caro, I have sent you a private message about 150ah and 202ah cells in country; when you have time please check. To everyone else I think Mike is working through the problems the best he can. Dealing with suppliers on the other side of the world has its problems that most of us have no experience with.

Mightymach

Solar Enthusiast
Like others, I did not order 272ah cells but rather 310.

Also, as other stated, there is no where stating missing bus bars, wrong studs, or otherwise not new grade a cells.

@Michael B Caro

What timeframe does Alibaba give you for a resolution?

houseofancients

Solar Addict
I too have been scammed by China, and finally quit buying used cells. Right now currentconnected.com has a $100 off coupon code on brand new SOK cells (coupon code was HALLOWEEN and just worked) which puts the price per Ah so low that it's just not worth the risk of buying used b-grade cells from China.
what do that have anything to do with this theat ?

Made in North Pole

Off-grid Addict
I too have been scammed by China, and finally quit buying used cells. Right now currentconnected.com has a $100 off coupon code on brand new SOK cells (coupon code was HALLOWEEN and just worked) which puts the price per Ah so low that it's just not worth the risk of buying used b-grade cells from China.
China didn't scam you, your supplier did.

AER

Solar Enthusiast
Sorry but that was rude. Salesman I presume. I have received spam in this group about buying other cells, but at least it was private messaged to me. I hope others do not spam this very important thread

BobR

Solar Enthusiast
Michael Caro; I have sent you a private message regarding cells you have on hand.

sparrowhawk

Christian Prepper
Although I did receive the cells I ordered through Michael and all but one was in good physical condition. (One had a small dent in it which I initially missed.) It doesn't appear I got what I paid for. Mine were supposed to be 271ah CATL EV cells that I paid more for than the standard commodity cells. They were not swollen and the QR codes are intact.

But they have all tested below their ah rating by an average of 10ah. The lowest was 258ah and the highest was 264ah. Now granted these were presented as unused EV cells that had been sitting in a warehouse so I suppose the lost ah could be attributed to calendar aging. They also show no indication they were matched & batched which I assume they would be if they were EV cells.

The initial charge had cells running away long before the pack was close to being charged and of course the discharge after top balance showed a similar pattern.

In contrast earlier this year I bought 16 basen 272ah cells and all tested 10ah above their rating but were obviously not matched & batched, but then I didn't expect them to be.

I suspect my batteries were not EV cells but commodity cells that were either used or sat for several years unused somewhere.

Julianl

Not a new member?
Although I did receive the cells I ordered through Michael and all but one was in good physical condition. (One had a small dent in it which I initially missed.) It doesn't appear I got what I paid for. Mine were supposed to be 271ah CATL EV cells that I paid more for than the standard commodity cells. They were not swollen and the QR codes are intact.

But they have all tested below their ah rating by an average of 10ah. The lowest was 258ah and the highest was 264ah. Now granted these were presented as unused EV cells that had been sitting in a warehouse so I suppose the lost ah could be attributed to calendar aging. They also show no indication they were matched & batched which I assume they would be if they were EV cells.

The initial charge had cells running away long before the pack was close to being charged and of course the discharge after top balance showed a similar pattern.

In contrast earlier this year I bought 16 basen 272ah cells and all tested 10ah above their rating but were obviously not matched & batched, but then I didn't expect them to be.

I suspect my batteries were not EV cells but commodity cells that were either used or sat for several years unused somewhere.
I concur. I had more damage but the ones tested were exactly the same rage of 258 and 264Ah. I would still be interested to receive my cells but would be uninterested in the same type of stock.

It would be great if @Michael B Caro would address this issue specifically.

sparrowhawk

Christian Prepper
I concur. I had more damage but the ones tested were exactly the same rage of 258 and 264Ah. I would still be interested to receive my cells but would be uninterested in the same type of stock.

It would be great if @Michael B Caro would address this issue specifically.

I expected to have gotten something akin to grade A cells but obviously did not. They could also have been cells that were new but were rejected because they didn't give full capacity. If thats the case and since new cells typically test higher right off the bat but then drop down shortly after that to their rated capacity then these cells may lose 10ah more in short order if they are new rejects.

Pyrofx

Flux capacitor builder
I'll be a dic@#% here lol.
A new cell that dodnt make spec is ..... wait for it.......
Still a new cell.

I just thought of that and had to chuckle a little.
Everything is always in the spin ain't it .

Pyrofx

Flux capacitor builder
My 280 from starmax tested 252. They scratched off al the qr codes but one. It said 252.

Sneaky bastards. They kept telling me they tested before shopping. My testing is wrong .