diy solar

diy solar

CATL 271Ah cell issues.

Brewman

Solar Enthusiast
First things First, all of the issues listed below are not @Michael B Caro fault.

As I said in the group buy thread, after some tracking issues my cells have arrived. All four boxes were damaged and seemed to be taped together. A few had holes so big you could see the cells inside.

The packing was basically non existent. A bottom foam pad with some two inch or so side walls and a flat foam top.

One box was wet and smelled of electrolyte. All the cells in that box were all wet and one cell had a hole in it where you can see thread marks.

IMG_20210813_153804304.jpgIMG_20210813_153953269.jpgIMG_20210813_154018353.jpgIMG_20210813_154109780_HDR.jpg

I took pics of all four sides and the top of each cell. All are labeled per box. Another strange thing is the cells have no labels and the QR codes are all ground off.

Yeah, those were VERY poorly packed. Was there not any foam between and around the cells? Mine had plastic corner enforcements on all the boxes, and each box was completely mummified in boxing tape. All the cells were enclosed in pre-cut foam forms. You have some complaining to do.

What size cells were these? That might point to a particular supplier, although - going through Michael - none of us really know who the supplier is.

Just what you see in this picture. All boxes packed the same.

IMG_20210813_164617264.jpg

Ok, so we need to watch for anyone else having issues with CATL 271 Ah cells arriving.

I'm really sorry. I've seen your anxious anticipation for these to arrive, and this has to be really frustrating. I hope @Michael B Caro can help.

Well those were packed well. I would have not accepted the boxes. Michael needs to contact whoever supplied these asap and FIRE them as his supplier.

I have they same cells arriving Monday. Already ups says one box is damaged. The impression I get is that the one box will not even be delivered. The other 3 are supposed to be here Monday.

I have my doubts any are usable

Still they were not packaged very well
From the picture .... it looked like the box was pretty much destroyed and then put back together.

Is it possible they put stuff back in the box, but not all the original packing?

I am surprised that the people at shipping facility and the drivers did not complain about the smell from electrolyte and call the HAZMAT team.
What does the electrolyte smell like?

There is no way they came off the boat looking like that and there is no reason UPS should be tossing sh*t like that around so rough. My cells were packed 2 to a box and much better packing. I'm assuming they were easier to carry and toss that way but my boxes weren't perfect but they were nothing like this. It's almost as if they fell off the truck or the truck got in a wreck. That is definitely a UPS claim. I'm sorry you are going through this. Fingers still crossed my remaining boxes are in the same condition the first 5 were in.

Last edited:
I want to talk with Michael before I do any claim with UPS. I wonder what type of insurance was on the boxes.

I want to talk with Michael before I do any claim with UPS. I wonder what type of insurance was on the boxes.
same boat, my CATL 271AH came in yesterday in the same shape (however not leaking). To be fair they never had a chance with that level of packaging. did you notice any of them swollen?

Back