diy solar

diy solar

CATL 271Ah cell issues.

My package did not arrive today as estimated. I also don't really understand the tracking info.

View attachment 64117
View attachment 64118

""The delivery address has been updated and your package is on its way"" ... so there was an address issue ... If YOU did not make the address change I would call UPS and verify the address that its been routed to ...

""The delivery address has been updated and your package is on its way"" ... so there was an address issue ... If YOU did not make the address change I would call UPS and verify the address that its been routed to ...
Thank you for this tip; I did not make any changes.

Updated list of CATL emails received:

tiger666
Ludditeal
Montueverde
MIGHTYMACH
Umatillab24
MIKEHI
jkd
p40whk
tbuechner
acacia987
Glen26
gilatm
MrMr1
wargames
peterbylt
xTratrestial
B_Cummings
eugenesan
Frosty1
Brewman (sorry I missed you on the first list after already telling you I had received your email)
AER
podilamaya
Kevox

Additions:
bullygoat
Fordguy64

David S ---- Sending pictures on Tuesday​

scmbmw----- Has not received cells yet but will notify when they arrive

There is one other I have received pictures from but I don't think he come on here at all.
If you have sent an email and do not see your name let me know please.
Michael, I sent pics last Tuesday. I’ll resend.

First things First, all of the issues listed below are not @Michael B Caro fault.

As I said in the group buy thread, after some tracking issues my cells have arrived. All four boxes were damaged and seemed to be taped together. A few had holes so big you could see the cells inside.

The packing was basically non existent. A bottom foam pad with some two inch or so side walls and a flat foam top.

One box was wet and smelled of electrolyte. All the cells in that box were all wet and one cell had a hole in it where you can see thread marks.

View attachment 60047View attachment 60048View attachment 60049View attachment 60050
Frankly I'm surprised those were delivered, and UPS didn't call a hazmat team.

Hi @Michael B Caro I have sent you multiple messages since mid August with no response from you about when ill be getting my 310Ah cells which still have not had any update on the shipping. Now that ive found this thread i am concerned about the quality of the product i will be receiving. Please reply to me via PM

I wonder if this fiasco isn't going to pop smoke on the shitbags shipping illegally.
I've tried to read over the shipping regulations about these things, and as best I can make out, to be legal they'd have to ship as a class 9 hazmat, being prepared/shipped by a pre-approved and registered shipper only and while the truck they're traveling in doesn't have to bear a placard, the driver still has to be qualified for hazmat transportation.... That's in addition to the labeling and packaging requirements.
Am I reading this stuff right? It seems like this would make it so expensive to ship them that it would cost more to transport them than the cells would be worth unless you're buying by the truckload.
I've read your posts about being in the fireworks business, am I completely misunderstanding the rules on these things?

Aside from the electrolyte spilling and being nasty, there's at least one picture in this whole thing of a cell whose terminal studs poked through the cardboard and appeared to have arc'd or melted somewhat.

I wonder if this fiasco isn't going to pop smoke on the shitbags shipping illegally.
Yeah, I saw the EVE cell boxes Andy received at his off grid garage, and they has the battery stickers on his boxes.

You know with all the bad lithium cells and bad online sellers also the scares I have had(puffy cells and month-long delay with no tracing). I will not be buying raw cells anymore, I will only buy used valence betties or new betties from Big battery and Signature solar. There are just to many scams out there not to mention the extremely long shipping times. Its safer this way.

You know with all the bad lithium cells and bad online sellers also the scares I have had(puffy cells and month-long delay with no tracing). I will not be buying raw cells anymore, I will only buy used valence betties or new betties from Big battery and Signature solar. There are just to many scams out there not to mention the extremely long shipping times. Its safer this way.
There are reliable and honest vendors, but everyone chases the lowest price.
I understand the allure of cheap cells, but I will pay the 25 to 30 percent more for the sure thing grade A cells packaged well.

I will also add that everything I have seen up to now has indicated that Michael was delivering a good product at a good price.

I will only buy used valence betties or new betties from Big battery ...
Search for them on this forum. There's a bunch of very bad experiences. The owner was even publicly arguing about what I thought was an honest review Will P left little while back.

You really only hear about bad experiences with ordering from China on here. People post when they are upset, people stay home and play with batteries when there is a successful order.

For my first order, I didn't know about this site, and picked a random vendor (shopped around, of course) to order 800ah of cells from. Everything was smooth, my cells came fast, and all tested properly. There are TONS of successful orders with happy customers from AliX. Sure, you CAN get screwed, but more often that not the sale goes great.

Updated list of CATL emails received:

tiger666
Ludditeal
Montueverde
MIGHTYMACH
Umatillab24
MIKEHI
jkd
p40whk
tbuechner
acacia987
Glen26
gilatm
MrMr1
wargames
peterbylt
xTratrestial
B_Cummings
eugenesan
Frosty1
Brewman (sorry I missed you on the first list after already telling you I had received your email)
AER
podilamaya
Kevox

Additions:
bullygoat
Fordguy64

David S ---- Sending pictures on Tuesday​

scmbmw----- Has not received cells yet but will notify when they arrive

There is one other I have received pictures from but I don't think he come on here at all.
If you have sent an email and do not see your name let me know please.
I should be on this list as well.....and I sent you all my pictures already. Please let me know if you need me to send again. See post #43 for my pictures.

Last edited:
So feel for all of you in the States whose batteries have problems but my 8 cells have just arrived in the UK thankfully OK. They are packaged exactly the same. 2 boxes, each with 4 cells per box. Each box had a base with separators but at the top just a slab of foam. The terminals have poked into it but not through. There are no holes in any box or any extra added tape to hold them together. I suspect because the UK is smaller and less handling that there has been less chances for the cells to be damaged with possibly arrival on the boat before container sent to a broker who then passed them to the courier. These are 310Ah CATL cells. All cells measure 3.293/4 volts. I did order M8 studs and they have come with M6 studs but this isn't the end of the world. Of the 8, 6 have mild bloating. All QR codes are scratched but I wasn't expecting them. There is signs of kapton tape on some of the batteries. 2 of them also have small dents but I am 99% sure this is pre-shipping as the external boxes show no signs if being bashed and the dents were on the middle 2 of the 4 batteries. They are so small as not to be worrying for me. For those in the UK who are interested there were no VAT and or customs/duty charges to be added to what Michael quoted. I paid for these on 27th of May, tracking label on ordered these on 8th of July and delivered 4th Sept.

First 10 photos below (will post remainder in another post).
Have you cap tested any?

Have you cap tested any?
I haven't and didn't plan to as I didn't have a capacity tester originally... however have buckled and ordered one from Aliexpress which should be here in the next week or so will try doing some then although it is only one of the 180W ones so may take a while.. I have a Smart BMS on order as well so may try a capacity check of the whole built pack when that arrives... Whilst not ideal I am having to be be a bit pragmatic about the purchase for my particular circumstances.... orignally I was going to buy 270Ah cells which are going in a campervan... when I came to order and 310's were available I opted for those so my pack is oversized..... providing these cells provide at least 270ah then it would probably be of no benefit for me to try and return them/raise a dispute because the price of getting another set of cells (which may or may not be any better or have the same issues) will probably be higher now (these came duty free to the UK) and the length of time it would take to do the return, the risk of no refund and having to purchase another set means I will stick with what I have.... if they test out to less than 270 then that would be a game changer and I would have to reconsider my options. I have also opened the bus bars package and they are cheap pressed aluminum.... I am using them whilst charging/top balancing but never intended to use them in the pack as I was going to add packing between the cells and flexible bus bars due to the vehicle movement/vibration.. Will let you know once I have some figures...

Well this doesn't appear to be limited to CATL 271/310. I ordered 56 CATL 202ah cells got my tracking #'s around July 3rd and they are arriving 6 boxes yesterday, looks like another 3 will be coming today and I am still waiting for the last 5 boxes...
Same packing, same lack of labeling, there was reinforced corners barely hanging onto two boxes with strapping... only one of the first 6 boxes seems mostly unscathed.

Michael mentioned to me at one point that my cells were coming from a different shipper, but I'm not so sure.

I haven't and didn't plan to as I didn't have a capacity tester originally... however have buckled and ordered one from Aliexpress which should be here in the next week or so will try doing some then although it is only one of the 180W ones so may take a while.. I have a Smart BMS on order as well so may try a capacity check of the whole built pack when that arrives... Whilst not ideal I am having to be be a bit pragmatic about the purchase for my particular circumstances.... orignally I was going to buy 270Ah cells which are going in a campervan... when I came to order and 310's were available I opted for those so my pack is oversized..... providing these cells provide at least 270ah then it would probably be of no benefit for me to try and return them/raise a dispute because the price of getting another set of cells (which may or may not be any better or have the same issues) will probably be higher now (these came duty free to the UK) and the length of time it would take to do the return, the risk of no refund and having to purchase another set means I will stick with what I have.... if they test out to less than 270 then that would be a game changer and I would have to reconsider my options. I have also opened the bus bars package and they are cheap pressed aluminum.... I am using them whilst charging/top balancing but never intended to use them in the pack as I was going to add packing between the cells and flexible bus bars due to the vehicle movement/vibration.. Will let you know once I have some figures...
whats you plan for flexible bus bars?

Yeah, I saw the EVE cell boxes Andy received at his off grid garage, and they has the battery stickers on his boxes.
Did Andy mention where he got the cells from? I haven't watched all of his videos. Thanks.

Back