diy solar

diy solar

CATL 271Ah cell issues.

All thee above. I am just noting that @Michael B Caro asked me to ship / return back to him something that I have no clear indication how I am supposed to do that.
I would call UPS and ask them. It sounds as though they have contracted out a hazmat service to handle stuff like this. The way I read it you don't need a contract but it's most likely going to be expensive.

I don't understand why he would want the cells returned to him and am sorry he is asking for them.

On a different note - who with 'serviceable cells intends to put them to use? I'm 3/4 through cap testing and they seem to be performing ok - I can relate to Wills current videos on the bloating grade b cells.
One issue is the subpar battery bus bars provided. Does anyone have a supplier that can provide them economically? I tried a few sellers on Alibaba but they want 1000 min qty. What are the other options?
I'm thinking of
- Making them myself from 3mm al bar - cheap and relatively easy
- making suitable gauge wire and lugs connectors - more expensive

So how much did you spend on the batteries? Then you throw in " cheap" bussbars?
Has anyone learned anything about cheaping out lately ?

So how much did you spend on the batteries? Then you throw in " cheap" bussbars?
Has anyone learned anything about cheaping out lately ?

Well, let's see. I spent $130/kwh for my cheap cells (which haven't arrived, so technically I've spent $∞/kwh, but let's assume they arrive and are usable). I'll spend about $10/kwh for the diyBMS, breakers, safety, and about $60/kwh for the enclosure if I decide to go for professionally manufactured and finished enclosures of my own design. I could cheap out on that part, but there are advantages to good enclosures. So my battery will cost about $200/kwh complete, assuming this go as planned. I accept an amount of risk by going the cheap, diy route.

Signature Solar is advertising a battery that has all of the above for $313/kwh.

I'm afraid I still haven't learned anything new relative to when I placed my order. I've accepted a risk for a savings of over 30% off. The financial risk is very minimal (almost 0) - the greatest risk is wasting time and effort, and possibly having to change plans along the way. Since I'm ok with my DIY effort and counting my time towards this project as $0/kwh, it's reasonable.

If I were paying myself even minimum wage, though? Buying a ready-made battery off the shelf is vastly cheaper.

I could suggest that the experience and learning as well as the intimate control I have over the entire process is worth something, but the reality is that if the other route were cheaper, I'd choose it without hesitation, so I can't honestly suggest that those rewards are on the balance.

So my decision really is bound up as a financial savings, not a time/effort/learning savings.

It might be a standard PayPal response. @Michael B Caro might not have request this. I am wrestling with this now on pp message with a second language English CS person at pp.
If it turns out you do have to ship them, maybe look into C.O.D. shipping or ask for his FedEx/UPS account number to bill the receiver.

If it turns out you do have to ship them, maybe look into C.O.D. shipping or ask for his FedEx/UPS account number to bill the receiver.
The receiver has the option to refuse payment and in that case the shipment is returned to the sender. So it's best to get the receivers permission before sending anything out COD or attempting to pull a fast one by using the receivers account without the receivers permission.

On a different note - who with 'serviceable cells intends to put them to use? I'm 3/4 through cap testing and they seem to be performing ok - I can relate to Wills current videos on the bloating grade b cells.
One issue is the subpar battery bus bars provided. Does anyone have a supplier that can provide them economically? I tried a few sellers on Alibaba but they want 1000 min qty. What are the other options?
I'm thinking of
- Making them myself from 3mm al bar - cheap and relatively easy
- making suitable gauge wire and lugs connectors - more expensive

Check out this guy. He is seller is from Australia he does ship internationally, but don't know is that economical or not based on your location.

I purchased bur bars from him and they are really good (listed prices in AUD)

This thread is/has degenerated into a slightly off topic discussion. Would it be advisable for those users to start a different thread?

Back on point, is there any new updates to the CATL cell issue?

This thread is/has degenerated into a slightly off topic discussion. Would it be advisable for those users to start a different thread?

Back on point, is there any new updates to the CATL cell issue?
At this point i would rather Michael just email those involved weekly(or sooner) with updates and instructions. i don't think i have seen any updates from the vendor in over a week?

@acacia987 I PM/DMed Michael Aug 14 when I saw issues beginning to arise. I got my cells Aug 16.

I sent him 7 messages between Aug 14 and 19. Got 1 response from him Aug 19 suggesting I reach out to UPS about my missing 1 out of 4 boxes.

I have since sent 6 other messages between Aug 19-30 with no response from him. I have never gotten an email response direct from him.

I don't think he's corresponding 1 on 1 thru the message service or email.

@acacia987 I PM/DMed Michael Aug 14 when I saw issues beginning to arise. I got my cell so Aug 16.

I sent him 7 messages between Aug 14 and 19. Got 1 response from him Aug 19 suggesting I reach out to UPS about my missing 1 out of 4 boxes.

I have since sent 6 other messages between Aug 19-30 with no response from him. I have never gotten an email response direct from him.

I don't think he's corresponding 1 on 1 thru the message service or email.

Did PayPal have any more communication after Thursday?

Did you tell PayPal given the nature of the items you need specific return instructions?

I know he hasn’t responded much but airing it all here(not you specifically) is more “drama” than helpful for those involved(mostly).

Kind of like a car wreck.

@Julianl not trying to air drama, but I think at this point public discussions of what is happening is better than a dozen private conversations. That way if 1 or a few gets useful info from Michael or others , we all get it.

These are the last three messages I have received from the most problematic supplier. The last one having come in on Thursday:

We will go back to the forwarder company to negotiate about compensation in a few days. I have sorted out the pictures you sent to them, and I will negotiate and give you a reply as soon as possible

You can tell those customers who have not signed for it to sign for it after checking with UPS, and refuse to sign immediately if any damage is found. Because the customers who have signed for it also complain to UPS.

Because we have already sent the data provided by you and your customers to the freight forwarder and UPS, and because some of your customers have signed for it, the current communication process with UPS is tedious and long. He told me that he would give the compensation plan within 2 weeks. Therefore, you need to explain the refusal to the clients who have not signed yet.

These are the last three messages I have received from the most problematic supplier. The last one having come in on Thursday:

We will go back to the forwarder company to negotiate about compensation in a few days. I have sorted out the pictures you sent to them, and I will negotiate and give you a reply as soon as possible

You can tell those customers who have not signed for it to sign for it after checking with UPS, and refuse to sign immediately if any damage is found. Because the customers who have signed for it also complain to UPS.

Because we have already sent the data provided by you and your customers to the freight forwarder and UPS, and because some of your customers have signed for it, the current communication process with UPS is tedious and long. He told me that he would give the compensation plan within 2 weeks. Therefore, you need to explain the refusal to the clients who have not signed yet.
The above message is NOT clear. @Michael B Caro

What are you directing us to do? Do you want us to SIGN or NOT Sign???

I am part of the CATL New Grade A 310ah cells, I have a tracking number that has not gone live. Are any of these still on the way or have they ALL been recalled to their US warehouse? My nephew who ordered a month after me had his in route and then recalled before delivery.

An update as to the status of ALL the batches of CATL cells would be helpful.

Last edited:
That’s my concern, 4 of my cells arrived damaged, the other 4 are missing with an inactive tracking number.

The last I knew there were some that had not been recalled.

If you go to your UPS tracking number and select "View Details", and then select "shipping progress" it should show you if they have been recalled or not.

As far as accepting delivery, everyone has to make their own decision but at this point I would personally not accept delivery.
If you are gone from home a lot, which most probably are, I would contact UPS and try to tell them that you do not want them delivered but sent back to the sender. The other option is to ask them to hold them at the closest facility and inspect the boxes before making up your mind if you want to accept them or not. IF the boxes are in real good shape you might be ok, but that is not 100% either as there have been too many cells that arrived with swelling that is more than some will accept.

Be sure to know if you ordered new cells or cells from EV packs. The cells from EV packs are from a different supplier, and most have been fine.

The last I knew there were some that had not been recalled.

If you go to your UPS tracking number and select "View Details", and then select "shipping progress" it should show you if they have been recalled or not.

As far as accepting delivery, everyone has to make their own decision but at this point I would personally not accept delivery.
If you are gone from home a lot, which most probably are, I would contact UPS and try to tell them that you do not want them delivered but sent back to the sender. The other option is to ask them to hold them at the closest facility and inspect the boxes before making up your mind if you want to accept them or not. IF the boxes are in real good shape you might be ok, but that is not 100% either as there have been too many cells that arrived with swelling that is more than some will accept.

Be sure to know if you ordered new cells or cells from EV packs. The cells from EV packs are from a different supplier, and most have been fine.

Thank you for the update, Michael. Hopefully we can get another from this supplier within the 2 weeks he mentioned.

What have the other 2 suppliers said? And, Can you let those of us who want to know their supplier what supplier supllied our cells? Again, you can protect Your suppliers identity and remain anonymous by saying supplier A, B, C.

For anyone in the know, I have a few questions:

1. Can the recipient file a claim? It seems we've gone back and forth on this one.

2. If anyone has (filed a claim) was there any pushback due to the unmarked contents and lacking of andard of care in packaging?

Thanks again!

My main supplier simply asks for pictures and then he replaces the cells with no problem. There has been shipping damage on a few cells over the past 9-10 months and it is never a problem with him. He is the one that shipped the CATL 202ah that showed up damaged.

The other one there has been 1 problem shipment other than the one I got. I still don't have a count from my son on how many of the 100 cells I got are actually damaged, or any pictures yet. He works a full time job and has two young kids so it sometimes takes a few days for him to be able to sort things out.

Just found out that they are on another 3 day holiday in China and so I will not get any more information from them until at least Monday night or Tuesday morning.

Back