diy solar

diy solar

CATL 271Ah cell issues.

...One significant factor became apparent, only one (1) box of the eleven (11) boxes I observed had foam inserts for side protection / structural integrity of the package.

All of the boxes had foam inserts for the top and bottom. It appears that the top inserts may be designed for use for cells without studs, as the studs pushed through the foam in every box and in many cases even the cardboard box. Another 1/2" - 3/4" of foam on top would've prevented this..
That is far better packing than what the CATL 271 cells (or whatever they are because they are not labled) that I received were packed in.

Well Michael,
I believe that I can shed some light on at least part of the cause of damage to my shipment of 202's.

After 14 days trying to get the boxes from my local FedEx distribution center I have received 9 of 14 boxes, FedEx returned the last 2 boxes to the shipper last night, I managed to reject 2 boxes at delivery and 1 box was delivered to the wrong address...

7 of the 9 boxes I did receive had sustained significant damage and only 1 box contained 4 relatively undamaged cells.

While I personally wouldn't absolve FEDEX of any responsibility. One significant factor became apparent, only one (1) box of the eleven (11) boxes I observed had foam inserts for side protection / structural integrity of the package.

All of the boxes had foam inserts for the top and bottom. It appears that the top inserts may be designed for use for cells without studs, as the studs pushed through the foam in every box and in many cases even the cardboard box. Another 1/2" - 3/4" of foam on top would've prevented this..

The only box that arrived with the 4 cells mostly undamaged had 2 additional foam inserts added for side protection. I'm guessing these were the last 2 they had around as there is actually room for 3 inserts.

Its apparent that in addition to impact protection, these side inserts provided stability of the cells in transit keeping them from constantly shifting and provided rigidity to the whole package.

I'm pretty confident that if they had just used 3 extra foam inserts in each box most of my cells would have arrived intact.

I'm working on emails...
Ok. This guy has always packed cells well. Not sure what the hell happened with your shipment. He will take care of things though. I have no doubt about this guy and how he will handle it.

So, I can expect a refund and not a replacement shipment then, correct? I understand that the cell supplier was the weak chain in the plan, but were they also supposed to send out the BMS's I ordered from you? Should I find another source for those too? I admit to being confused, TYIA for your attention in this matter.
Yes a supplier was supposed to send the bms's, but I do have a lot of them in stock in the US

As far as refund vs replacement, they have not indicated which they will be offering. All I can do is wait until they propose a resolution and then go from there.

Yes a supplier was supposed to send the bms's, but I do have a lot of them in stock in the US

As far as refund vs replacement, they have not indicated which they will be offering. All I can do is wait until they propose a resolution and then go from there.
The concern here is that I have not received anything from my order from all the way back in June, no BMS's and my cells were just recently recalled by the seller. At this point I'd sure like some more re-assurence that I am not burnt for my hard earned money.

52 CATL 310ah cells $6,782.00
3 16s 150a bms $355.26
1 16s 100a bms $91.99
Total $7,229.25

The concern here is that I have not received anything from my order from all the way back in June, no BMS's and my cells were just recently recalled by the seller. At this point I'd sure like some more re-assurence that I am not burnt for my hard earned money.

52 CATL 310ah cells $6,782.00
3 16s 150a bms $355.26
1 16s 100a bms $91.99
Total $7,229.25
I can ship the bms's if they have not.
The cells we just have to wait and see what they propose.

Michael, I never received tracking info for my order, per your message yesterday. If it hasn't shipped yet, please cancel the order and refund my payment.

Ok. This guy has always packed cells well. Not sure what the hell happened with your shipment. He will take care of things though. I have no doubt about this guy and how he will handle it.
Good to hear...
Fedex just told me the last 2 boxes (waiting 17 days for delivery from the local facility) are being returned to the shipper/Chino

Every cell in the 9 boxes I received measured 3.077v-3.083v except for one which measured 2.907v. Is this an issue causing accelerated self discharge or just shipped at a lower voltage? This cell was one of two physically unblemished cells I received out of 9 boxes but it was also the ONLY one without a serial #...

So I'm finishing up my email can all the pictures be in one Zip file in one email? If not your looking at probably 20+ emails for the 14 packages because of Gmail file size restrictions.

Last edited:
Just received from Fedex part of my shipment of 16 CATL 271ah from EV packs that I ordered through Michael. I got 2 boxes of 3 cells & 2 boxes of 2 cells along with the buss bars and nuts. The boxes were only slightly banged up and were just dropped off at my door without me knowing they were even due to arrive as the tracking number never activated and still has not done so. At this point still waiting for 2 boxes of 3 cells.

They appear to be packed well and the only thing I could gripe about so far is the blue skin around the top of the cells has been peeled back from when they put the foam padding onto the top of them.

They don't appear to have any significant bulging but I wouldn't say they are perfectly flat either. The QR codes are intact which makes me wonder if they are actually cells that came from EV packs as I expected the codes to be removed as I didn't think repurposed EV cells would qualify as new warrantied cells, but perhaps I'm wrong about that.

Since I wasn't expecting them yet I wasn't ready to begin testing them, but will be gearing up to do so shortly. Hopefully there will be no surprises with them.

Attachments

• IMG_1598[1].JPG
    IMG_1598[1].JPG
    318.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1605[1].JPG
    IMG_1605[1].JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1606[1].JPG
    IMG_1606[1].JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1607[1].JPG
    IMG_1607[1].JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 59
Just received from Fedex part of my shipment of 16 CATL 271ah from EV packs that I ordered through Michael. I got 2 boxes of 3 cells & 2 boxes of 2 cells along with the buss bars and nuts. The boxes were only slightly banged up and were just dropped off at my door without me knowing they were even due to arrive as the tracking number never activated and still has not done so. At this point still waiting for 2 boxes of 3 cells.

They appear to be packed well and the only thing I could gripe about so far is the blue skin around the top of the cells has been peeled back from when they put the foam padding onto the top of them.

They don't appear to have any significant bulging but I wouldn't say they are perfectly flat either. The QR codes are intact which makes me wonder if they are actually cells that came from EV packs as I expected the codes to be removed as I didn't think repurposed EV cells would qualify as new warrantied cells, but perhaps I'm wrong about that.

Since I wasn't expecting them yet I wasn't ready to begin testing them, but will be gearing up to do so shortly. Hopefully there will be no surprises with them.
You will want to be sure to put insulating spacers between the cells. Don't allow the cells to touch each other because the cell case is positive with leakage voltage.

1671C4AB-784D-4A7E-AC7C-2DE7F54DDE08.jpegB73C7A33-3AED-4386-B447-D58D7A4B65D9.jpeg5208BAA8-D557-491F-9622-2757BB0AAE0C.jpeg

These arrived today UPS. Tracking number was FedEx??? As stated before, just showed up on the doorstep. All of the boxes were in fairly good shape. They packaged them well. QRS codes were intact. They showed a 7/20/2021 test date. The threads on top are just removable strips of adhesive.

They used molded foam inserts which embodied almost the entire cell. No initial bloating noted. The box that had the best packing only had 2 batteries and 4 side inserts. Sadly, it was also the one with a bent over terminal and a leaking battery. So far 15 out of 16 cells look fairly good. Have yet to take them out and do a full inspection.

These were received from the "problem" supplier according to Michael.

Attachments

• 1E81355D-4239-4E5F-A680-72AD45DF8E35.jpeg
    1E81355D-4239-4E5F-A680-72AD45DF8E35.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back