diy solar

diy solar

CC/CV Bench Charger for Occasional Lifepo4 Charging

Nica McNeil

Hello Everyone,
I have successfully connected cc/cv bench charger to the epever tracer 4215bn post/slot meant for the solar panel connection to top off 24v 380ah lifepo4 battery at night...but first, I disconnected the solar panels. Is there a way to use the bench charger as a more permanent backup charger? That is...without having to disconnect the solar panels every time there's no sun and I have access to an ac power source.

Welcome to the forum!

Perhaps something like this ?

Thank you JoeHam. That is the exact function that I need. Thank you for introducing me to knife switches. I knew nothing about them before. Though it's a bit large for my van. But now that I know what a knife switch does, I'll look for a smaller one that will safely accommodate a my solar array current.

A smaller switch will work but it won't have the same Frankenstein feel to it ! :cool:

1628703326972.png

Seriously though, just watch the voltage and current rating. I am a fan of the shrouded switches vs an open frame one just for arc safety.

In your application the voltage and current are probably low enough that it is not likely to cause a problem.

Last edited:
Thank you JoeHam. That is the exact function that I need. Thank you for introducing me to knife switches. I knew nothing about them before. Though it's a bit large for my van. But now that I know what a knife switch does, I'll look for a smaller one that will safely accommodate a my solar array current.
On broader scope, try searching amazon or google for "manual transfer switch". ymmv

A smaller switch will work but it won't have the same Frankenstein feel to it ! :cool:

View attachment 59724

Seriously though, just watch the voltage and current rating. I am a fan of the shrouded switches vs an open frame one just for arc safety.

In your application the voltage and current are probably low enough that it is not likely to cause a problem.
I finally settled on this Blue Sea switch for switching between solar panels and bench charger. But now I have a new concern...the switch only has post screws for the positive wires (one pos input from panels, one pos input from bench charger with one pos output to charger controller). There are 2 negative wires (one from panel and one from bench charger) .. There is only 1 negative input on the charge controls but I have 2 neg wires...eeek. What do I do with the extra negative wire? see atrached diagram

Blue Sea Systems Mini Battery Switch, MFG# 6007, Red, 300A Cont, 500A int, 32VDC. Positions: 1-2-off-both. / BS-6007 / https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EF0PDO...abc_B6SXW6XWE2DK7HW7YSS3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 20210826_173601.jpg
    20210826_173601.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 2
I finally settled on this Blue Sea switch for switching between solar panels and bench charger. But now I have a new concern...the switch only has post screws for the positive wires (one pos input from panels, one pos input from bench charger with one pos output to charger controller). There are 2 negative wires (one from panel and one from bench charger) .. There is only 1 negative input on the charge controls but I have 2 neg wires...eeek. What do I do with the extra negative wire? see atrached diagram

Blue Sea Systems Mini Battery Switch, MFG# 6007, Red, 300A Cont, 500A int, 32VDC. Positions: 1-2-off-both. / BS-6007 / https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EF0PDO...abc_B6SXW6XWE2DK7HW7YSS3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Buy a bus bar and attach all negative leads to it

Back