diy solar

diy solar

Cell Pack / Balancing Question

Schtevie

Currently I have two cell packs of lifepo4 batteries to create a 12v power source. Each cell pack has it's own dedicated BMS. The first cell pack is a 4P4S configuration with each individual cell being 25ah. The second cell pack is a 46P4S configuration with each individual cell being 2.2ah. This setup gives me about 100ah in each cell pack. Since each cell pack has it's own BMS, can I turn the 4P4S configuration into a 8P4S configuration by adding 16 more 25ah cells to that cell pack? So then one cell pack would have 200ah and the other cell pack would have only 100ah. I'm guessing this is not a good idea, but correct me if I'm wrong please?

Why not just build a 3rd battery with its own BMS? You'd then have 3X about 100Ah batteries.

You can do imbalanced batteries within a bank, but you need to work hard to ensure they share their respective portions of the load. Since you're mixing cell types, it's going to be tricky.

You can do imbalanced batteries within a bank, but you need to work hard to ensure they share their respective portions of the load. Since you're mixing cell types, it's going to be tricky.

Sorry, but can you tell me specifically what needs to be done other than both cell packs having their own BMS?

You asking that question has me going back to the first option. Build a 3rd battery.

Back