diy solar

diy solar

Cell stops charging before reaching 3.65v

ramiws

I have AC-DC charger for LFP rated voltage 3.65v but it seems that the cell stops sucking amps at 3.45 and the charger turns the light that it is full. But the voltage is not 3.65v does that mean the cell is damaged?

I have AC-DC charger for LFP rated voltage 3.65v but it seems that the cell stops sucking amps at 3.45 and the charger turns the light that it is full. But the voltage is not 3.65v does that mean the cell is damaged?
No, that is more like normal. 3.65v is the max that can be charged to. The battery can be fully charged at a slightly lower voltage.

It depends on the charger design… some send CV and drop out when amperage drops below an amp or so…
If you are top balancing, you need a cv power supply to get up to 3.65V

Which charger do you have? Maybe voltage can be configured somehow.

Also, are you sure that it actually stops charging at 3.45v? Ignore the light and keep it connected for another hour or so. Check if the voltage has risen.
Some chargers will show a "battery full/charged" light when the current drops to a certain threshold, but can actually keep on charging to rated voltage.

Which charger do you have? Maybe voltage can be configured somehow.

Also, are you sure that it actually stops charging at 3.45v? Ignore the light and keep it connected for another hour or so. Check if the voltage has risen.
Some chargers will show a "battery full/charged" light when the current drops to a certain threshold, but can actually keep on charging to rated voltage.
or it might charge and turn off then settle.

I noticed that if I doubled the charging wires (neg and positive) from my bench charger to LIFEPO4s that Amps went up and it seems to charge them to 3.65. Worth a shot.

I noticed that if I doubled the charging wires (neg and positive) from my bench charger to LIFEPO4s that Amps went up and it seems to charge them to 3.65. Worth a shot.
I have an 8s Icharger I use for different charging demands. It has the balance port. You would think you need the balance connection when you are charging only one cell. But without it, any voltage drop across your charging lead/wire is seen as inflated battery voltage. So, I can see where having a heavier wire, less voltage drop, would help in the situation where the true battery voltage was not seen by the charger.

Back