diy solar

diy solar

Cell terminal bolt torque - you might be wrong!

Meaning the final thread in the terminal did not go as far down as the first thread on ghe
To make sure we are on the same page, the threads in my cells were not tapped all the way to the bottom. There was quite a bit of space between the the bottom thread, and the bottom of the terminal. I would be willing to bet all of the threads were engaged. But I will call the bet off since that stud is holding so far with the JB Weld...lol.

Zinc plated copper? you're sure? I'd bet it's tin platted copper.
You are probably correct. Does that change anything? I’m pretty sure the plating on the busbars and the lugs is the same (looks the same).

Does Tin plating interact with zinc-plating?

To make sure we are on the same page, the threads in my cells were not tapped all the way to the bottom. There was quite a bit of space between the the bottom thread, and the bottom of the terminal. I would be willing to bet all of the threads were engaged. But I will call the bet off since that stud is holding so far with the JB Weld...lol.
Where’d you purchase your cells from? Mine seem to go all the way to the bottom (5 full threads). I suppose I could measure to be sure (feeler gauge versus threaded bolt).

As I await delivery of my Lishen 272 cells, the thought of stripping a terminal thread scares me, as I read what has happened to others. The following video shows a HeliCoil being inserted on purpose (10 sec point) into a "virgin" tapped hole. This was meant to strengthen the aluminum threads before first use. To my simple mind, this makes sense doing before I even put a grub screw in the first time. Thoughts?

Question: How do you remove the tang without damaging the cell? Leave it or use "tangless" coils?

I'm not a mechanical guy, but I attempted analysis of JB Weld strength for repair of these 6mm screws in terminals. My math showed it could hold the specified torque, but not a whole lot more. (posted by me somewhere on this forum).

I think the studs that are JB Welded in could be jacked out.
I’m not understanding what you mean by ‘jacked out’ - are you talking about purposely stripping out the remaining aluminum thread?

Does JB Weld require a particular volume / space to be effective (so it will not weld a grub screw into an intact thread as effectively as Loctite?

if this is correct, I think I’ll start with Loctite and save JB weld for any terminals that strip.

Even my ‘stripped’ terminal (which was stripped with an apparently-undersized bolt) has 3 partial threads and 2 unused / pristine threads, so I think I’d rather try holding with those existing threads as well and save further thread removal for a recovery step in case the remaining threads prove insufficient for the task.

Use a sleeve (so nut doesn't climb onto JB weld) and an appropriate nut (something other than stainless, if that's what he stud is, to prevent galling.) Just restrain the stud with Allen wrench and crank the nut with higher torque, probably 8 to 10 Nm. That should shear the JB Weld bond and any threads that might be left. (Change out sleeve for a longer one as the pulling process progresses.)
Get the idea but don’t understand whether this needs to be done for the initial use of JB Weld in a threaded terminal or only if/when grubscrew removal and replacement after attachment with JB Weld ever proved necessary...

As I await delivery of my Lishen 272 cells, the thought of stripping a terminal thread scares me, as I read what has happened to others. The following video shows a HeliCoil being inserted on purpose (10 sec point) into a "virgin" tapped hole. This was meant to strengthen the aluminum threads before first use. To my simple mind, this makes sense doing before I even put a grub screw in the first time. Thoughts?

Question: How do you remove the tang without damaging the cell? Leave it or use "tangless" coils?

Adding helicoils from the start is a good idea. I wouldn't leave the tang on or in the hole.

Adding helicoils from the start is a good idea. I wouldn't leave the tang on or in the hole.
Don’t Helicoils remove close to half the Aluminum contact area? You guys are not concerned about that?

Don’t Helicoils remove close to half the Aluminum contact area? You guys are not concerned about that?
I thought we established that the area of effective contact was the underside of the cable lug and the surface it touches. Only minimal amount current is passed through the hardware via the threads.

I thought we established that the area of effective contact was the underside of the cable lug and the surface it touches. Only minimal amount current is passed through the hardware via the threads.
Yes, I remember (and that is the reason I’ve been concerned about the Helicoil).

He seems to be implying that the pier surface of the Helicoil is flat and co-planar with the surface of the terminal, and so ‘counts’ in terms of the surface area contacted by the lug or busbar...

A quick question for those of you that have attached M6 grub screws - is there a reason to back off 1/4 turn after touching the bottom? Is it to provide some safety margin in case the grub screw gets turned further when tightening down a nut?

This one thread has so little fully-intact thread left that I’m considering going all the way to the bottom to maximize holding force of the threads I have left (and seeing to the wear on the upper 3 threads in all of my terminals is making me consider bottoming-out all of my grub screws).

Not going to claim victory yet but I’m a lot more optimistic than I was yesterday...

Glad to hear there may be some hope for your terminals without having to use a drill/tap to make a larger hole. Somebody tried to save money on screws that aren't as wide as they should be.

As far as a reason to back off of the bottom of the terminal hole, do that if you're not sure you can solidly hold the grub screw from turning while you tighten the nut. It gives you a little room for error. If I was using grub screws, I would want them to have hex tops, not slotted (screwdriver) tops.

So zinc-plated studs against tin-plated busbars is a bad idea?

Would stainless grub screws be better? (So stainless against tin)

Check a galvanic series table to see how bad it is. It may be fine, it may be bad.

Certainly not half.

Yes, I remember (and that is the reason I’ve been concerned about the Helicoil).

He seems to be implying that the pier surface of the Helicoil is flat and co-planar with the surface of the terminal, and so ‘counts’ in terms of the surface area contacted by the lug or busbar...

You're splitting hairs ^^ (and that comes from someone who is usually the one splitting hairs...)

The lost area is very small, don't worry about it ;)

Glad to hear there may be some hope for your terminals without having to use a drill/tap to make a larger hole. Somebody tried to save money on screws that aren't as wide as they should be.

As far as a reason to back off of the bottom of the terminal hole, do that if you're not sure you can solidly hold the grub screw from turning while you tighten the nut. It gives you a little room for error. If I was using grub screws, I would want them to have hex tops, not slotted (screwdriver) tops.
Thanks.

And yeah, I’m leaning away from aluminum or plated and back to stainless (hex) grubscrews.

And if the only reason to back off is a safety margin, I’m probably more concerned with using maximum remaining aluminum thread for strength than I am for margin in case the Loctite doesn’t hold.

I’ve used Loctite before but never JB Weld. One poster is making it sound like JB Weld needs the aluminum threads removed before it can be used. If that’s the case I’ll start with Loctite and save JB Weld as a fall-back in case the remaining threads don’t hold...

Where’d you purchase your cells from? Mine seem to go all the way to the bottom (5 full threads). I suppose I could measure to be sure (feeler gauge versus threaded bolt).
My EVE cells came from Basen. I purchased them from the group buy thread.

My EVE cells came from Basen. I purchased them from the group buy thread.
ShenzenBasenTechnologyCo is where my 280Ah cells came from as well (direct, didn’t know about a group buy).

If our thread depths truly are different, it’s pretty much affirmation that resellers / trading companies like Basen purchase their EVE 289Ah cells from multiple wholesalers / middlemen and also that the aluminum terminals are tapped by those middlemen and not by Shenzen themselves...

With a 4nm max torque, even low strength threadlocker will work fine. Just clean the threads well before application.

Back