diy solar

diy solar

Cellular Range Extender

KaptainK

I want to mount a Cellular Range extender on my current build and am looking for good quality that is low wattage. Any other tips or advice is also appreciated :)

I have worked with 2 different Wilson cell booster installations, and I would only use them in my opinion. Just make sure to follow their steps on antenna separation so you don't get feedback... I used their largest ones in my applications, so there might be better options than I used for using less power, but in my case I had wanted overkill on dB, and power consumption wasn't of primary importance.

I believe they have instructions on proper sizing for your application there... On the specs charts you should be able to check the power consumption and do calculations to figure out how much kW/h you'd use with the different models.

Hope this helps...

I run a Wilson designed for the car in my offgrid home. Ive never measured its draw but ive also never noticed it be a problem. It usally improves my signal by about 20 db. Paid less than 200 bucks on Amazon about 3 years ago.

I've been using a weBoost system for three years now. It's worked great, allowing my wife and I to use our cell phones. Before we could not get a signal. I tested it with a Kill-A-Watt meter when I first installed it and as I recall it pulled around 15 watts.

I have a cheap booster on Amazon. I use a universal dc adaptor to power it. We bought a directional antenna for it and we go from 1-2 bars to 5 bars with 4g lte. They dont have the listing for the amplifier only anymore it seems. We paid $45 for it and choose our own antennas. Ive tried Wilsons equipment and its good but no better than the bosuru with a Wilson or knockoff antenna.

I had a weboost drive but that went up in flames so I spent about 130ish for the booster, internal and external antenna and dc adaptor.

The Wilson omni antenna that came with the drive works very well..

The amp that connects from the device/extender to your phone would use more power when you buy an extender that has a larger indoor range rather than a small range. The FCC limits the power that the manufacturer can use to amplify the signal from the amp to the tower so that end is quite limited in power. I have a Wilson Sleek 4G that I bought 8 years ago and it is still working. Made in the USA and had American human voice support with domain knowledge. Wilson is not around anymore or they rebranded or sold out. I have it connected to LMR400 cable and a 16dbi yagi for times when I need to dig deep and pull out all the stops to get a signal. It works surprisingly well for $114. Bought at Radio Shack.

Back