diy solar

diy solar

Cerbo cx vs Smart dongle vs Color Control GX Monitor

jlachapelle7

Hi,

QUICK QUESTION: I would like to monitor the system by app or wifi, and I'm confuse about those three products:
- Victron Cerbo GX
- Victron Smart Dongle
- Victron Color Control GX Monitor

Question: What do I need a minimum?

My system:

***6900W 10S4P, 280AH 48V, 3KW 120V***
- 30 x 230W panels in 10s 4p config
- 1 x Victron RS 450/200
- 48V (16S 3.2V 280AH) Eve Cell
- JBD 200A 16S BMS
- 1 x Victron Multi-plus II 3000VA 120V
- Victron Smart Shunt
- Victron Lynx Distributor

Thank you all

Attachments

• D9421CAC-37B2-4B2A-8F67-9540EC4A34D5.jpeg
    D9421CAC-37B2-4B2A-8F67-9540EC4A34D5.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 9
If you want to see some details from the SmartShunt, RS 450/200, and the MultiPlus using the VictronConnect app on your smart phone or computer while being reasonably close to your components for Bluetooth then all you need is the SmartDongle for the MultiPlus. The SmartShunt and RS 450/200 have built-in Bluetooth.

If you want a setup where all of the data is accessible from anywhere in the world then you need the Cerbo GX and Internet access via WiFi from where the Cerbo GX is installed. Then you need the proper cables to connect the SmartShunt, RS 450/200, and the MultiPlus to the Cerbo GX. Once all connected, the Cerbo GX will send all of the data from your components to your VRM account. You can access the VRM account using any web browser anywhere you have Internet access.

The GX Screen can be added to your system to see a really nice display of everything when you are near all of your components. It's a touch display so you can view and configure some settings and even control some aspects of your system such as setting the MultiPlus to On, Off, Inverter-only, or Charger-only modes. The screen does require the Cerbo GX be installed.

You can have both the Cerbo GX (and optional screen) and the Bluetooth/VictronConnect setup together or just one as desired.

I can't top rmaddy's great explanation so I won't even try.

What I can offer is that I found and still continue to find Victron needlessly confusing, they have at least 7 different communication protocols. No idea what they are thinking but it does seem that "set up friendly for newbies" has NEVER once crossed thier mind.

Here's a start for GX communications devices. Lots of helpful links there. Hopefully one them will click for you.

I have VenusOS on a RPi connected to a Multiplus. Works great. It would be even better if I had more access to Multiplus settings without doing the remote export/import thing via VRM and VEConfig. How much closer to the settings of VEConfig does the SmartDongle + VictronConnect get me?

but it does seem that "set up friendly for newbies" has NEVER once crossed thier mind.
Victron gear has always been professional level. It's not marketed to the DIY people.

Having said that, as a DIY person I have a full Victron stack with VenusOS running on a RPi (instead of a Cerbo GX) and it works great with my SmartSolar, BMV-712, and MultiPlus. You don't need to know anything about communication protocols. It's just a matter of figuring out which cable you need for each component to plug it all together.

I have VenusOS on a RPi connected to a Multiplus. Works great. It would be even better if I had more access to Multiplus settings without doing the remote export/import thing via VRM and VEConfig. How much closer to the settings of VEConfig does the SmartDongle + VictronConnect get me?
I have the same basic setup. I have my MultiPlus connected to the RPi but I also have the SmartDongle connected to the MultiPlus so I can set it in VictronConnect. There are no settings available through VictronConnect due to the MultiPlus being connected to a VenusOS device. The only things I can do for the MultiPlus via Settings in VictronConnect is to set the inverter/charger's mode and set the AC input current limit, as well as setup VE Smart networking. So I also need to do the VRM/VEConfig dance to update settings. I haven't had to change my MultiPlus settings since my initial setup so I have not spent any time digging into that any deeper.

I have the same basic setup. I have my MultiPlus connected to the RPi but I also have the SmartDongle connected to the MultiPlus so I can set it in VictronConnect. There are no settings available through VictronConnect due to the MultiPlus being connected to a VenusOS device. The only things I can do for the MultiPlus via Settings in VictronConnect is to set the inverter/charger's mode and set the AC input current limit, as well as setup VE Smart networking. So I also need to do the VRM/VEConfig dance to update settings. I haven't had to change my MultiPlus settings since my initial setup so I have not spent any time digging into that any deeper.
Thanks. If you were to disconnect the VenusOS device temporarily, would you be able to adjust charge curve voltage thresholds via VictronConnect?

Then why is it all over Amazon and YouTube?
Victron doesn't sell their gear on Amazon. Dealers buy Victron gear and then they sell it. I'm not saying there isn't a market for Victron and DIY. Lots of DIY folks use Victron. But Victron, the company, seems to focus more on the professional. Their documentation mentions things should only be done by professional installers. VEConfig gives you a big warning every time you run it, etc.

And given that the total amount of video on YouTube is longer than the age of the known Universe, there is bound to be videos on everything. :)

If you were to disconnect the VenusOS device temporarily, would you be able to adjust charge curve voltage thresholds via VictronConnect?
I don't know and I'm not in a position to try that any time soon. Sorry.

I do not have the Smart Dongle for my Multiplus. Instead, I have the MK3 USB adapter. I use my laptop to make specific changes to the Multiplus. I unplug the MK3 when it is not in use. I have the Cerbo GX with the Touch 50 for monitoring and turning the inverter on/off. This setup works well for me.

I can't remember why I chose the MK3 over the Smart Dongle.

That makes me remember more. In order to connect my MultiPlus to the RPi I needed the MK3 USB adapter to run a USB cable from the MultiPlus to the RPi. When I was initially setting up my MultiPlus I would unplug the USB cable from MK3 USB going to the RPi and plug a USB cable from my laptop into the MK3 USB. Then I could run VEConfig on my laptop to configure the MultiPlus.

Now that I'm living in my trailer, physical access to my MultiPlus requires removing a lot of stuff so it's actually a lot simpler for me to do the VRM/VEConfig dance.

One thing I still can't remember though is how much I could configure the MultiPlus via USB cable and VictronConnect with my laptop.

One thing I still can't remember though is how much I could configure the MultiPlus via USB cable and VictronConnect with my laptop.

I think that I was told that it's all there with the USB interface. I haven't found anything I couldn't configure. But then again, I only needed to tweak a few things and upgrade the firmware. I am using VictronConnect on the laptop. It was easier to use that software rather than the two (or more?) older applications that could have been used.

Sounds good. Do you have or know where to find instructions on how to install VenusOS on the PI?

I followed a guy's instructions on YT 3 times with no success. It will not boot. A bunch of errors I know nothing about.

I think that I was told that it's all there with the USB interface. I haven't found anything I couldn't configure. But then again, I only needed to tweak a few things and upgrade the firmware. I am using VictronConnect on the laptop. It was easier to use that software rather than the two (or more?) older applications that could have been used.
I’m mulling getting a Multiplus II 2x120 a a small ESS to time-shift and offset load on my higher-consuming 120VAC legs.

I’ve got a PLC-based energy monitor that tracks grid legs so I know how much power I want the Multiplus II to absorb through the battery charger or to export out of its AC input at any time and can update the necessary registers every 5 seconds.

I’m trying to understand whether I can perform those frequent register updates using an MK3 adapter of I have to pay for a Cerbo GX.

Can the MK3 adapter be used to update Grid power setpoint - Modbus-TCP register 2700?

My PLC communicates in Modbus RTU through RS485 and I have a USB adapter allowing a PC to ‘see’ and communicate on that same modbus RTU bus.

If the MK3 can control Grid Power Setpoint, what is the easiest way to drive the USB side of the MK3? Could I’d be as simple as using my RS485-to-USB adapter so I’ve got:

PLC-MOBUS-RTU->USB->VE.BUS?

From the documentation I’ve found, it seems as though

PLC-MODBUS-TCP->Cerbo-GX->VE_BUS is the recommended control path, but in addition to the added cost of a Cerbo GX, this requires me to add a router into my system which is yet another potential point of failure and seems silly if there is any straightforward way to make use of the Modbus-RTU communication I’ve already got working…

I think one question that got overlooked- CCGX- color control GX - is the “older brother” to the Cerbo. Older, not as much processor power on it - but it still works - so unfortunately I can’t get a Cerbo until the CCGX dies. (Which I doubt will be anytime soon). Get the Cerbo not the CCGX.

Back