diy solar

diy solar

Chaining multiple GZ units - eg. Two 400 or two 1250?

Daedalus

Hi all,

As seen on the forum there is a bit of tinkering going on with GZ units. Whilst additional battery boxes / tanks can be coupled to the GZ AGM units 400/1250 and the newer Lithium ones. as the price of a GZ400 is fairly cheap, has anyone ran a Anderson connector from one unit to another so they electronically see each other and the panel in use to output power can effectively drain the slave unit? example a GZ with broken invertor still has usable ports just cant put out 240/110v.

The Anderson-Port of the 400 AGM is a direct connection to the battery, not a connection to the electronic.

So you can increase the capacity.

agreed, so the two anderson connections if you were to get a say 1m lead (red-red, black to black), it would utilise the "other 33ah cell" as its own. The front logic panel only gives out charge or takes in (via blue port or andersons) it doesnt detect another battery as it has no smarts to it.

So the main front panel in use would see its own internal 33ah plus a extension (pseudo tank) to use through its own battery so a 66ah array.
i only ask as ive seen some UK 400's at prices cheaper than i can get a box, battery and cable for. plus i then have a "spare" front to use if my main goes bad.

Important: charge both (Yeti/Yeti or battery/Yeti) separately full. After connecting reset the (main) Yeti. Press and hold the display-button (about 30 sec) until all segments appears. That‘s all, done.

Now the Yeti see both batteries as one big battery. Charge and use only the main Yeti if you connect a second 400 AGM, the second Yeti receives the charge too. Let the display of the second Yeti off, the display from the main Yeti shows all you need.

Note: the Anderson-Port bypasses the electronic from the second Yeti and is a direct way to the battery. The second Yeti is like a simple battery.

Back