diy solar

diy solar

Challenge accepted!

Since it sprays up to 22 feet just get that close to a 32,500 volt line and let r rip.

If we don’t hear back from you I will assume false advertising ?

Hmmm, I do have a 60kV (IIRC) x-ray transformer....

I once used a big shop vac with a long extension tube to suck all the mud dauber wasps out of their nest and the ones flying near it and then the nest too. Then I sprayed killer into the end of the hose........TADA!!!! dumped all them dead varmints into he trash

What's the current on one of them?
I have 2 15kv neon transformers, one is 30ma, the other is 60ma

IIRC it is 10mA or so. It is buried in the way back so I can't easily check. Dunno why I still keep it. I used it to charge a Marx bank and by golly could you get a good crack out of it! 10 stages of doorknob caps so in theory around 600kV but in reality less for sure. My DVM doesn't have a 1megaV range so I could never test it. :rolleyes: Needed sunglasses and ear protection to play with it. Good, clean, dangerous fun.

I still have some neon sign transformers too and a pole pig.

Nice.. I have a bag full of small HV caps, I wanna build me one, one day..just have to find me some HV rated resistors.
There is a giant one in Austria in the Technisches Museum, It can create a bolt of lightning about 10ft long, it can explode wood !

I used inductors because finding resistors of that voltage rating was impossible. The diodes were underated but worked OK. I used a variac to bring it up as the diodes had trouble with the start up current. Was tricky as heck and prone to flash-over but really dramatic when it all worked. Adjusting all of the spark gaps to milk out maximum spark was a pain. I had a spring loaded trigger for it. Just had to make sure to use the "chicken stick" properly to make sure it was all discharged before touching anything!

cool. I've seen some circuits that would trigger automatically.. but a manual trigger would be good too...
flashover will make you jump out of your socks if you don't know when it'd coming...lol

I found that having a primary spark gap that triggered the bank was too unreliable for a consistent spark. Humidity levels and dust in the air and how much corona there was generating ionized gas, all sorts of things were too variable. I also like having the final say as to whether or not the bank fired just in case some issue came up.

All this is making me miss playing with high energy physics.

i resurrected an old whimshurst generator i had found..hardest part was making the new caps and the brushes for it.. also had to replace the belts that drove the wheels.they were made of leather...but neoprene worked out great.

Back