diy solar

diy solar

Champion or Wen?

DIYrich

Solar Wizard
As a backup to Sol-Ark 15k Solar/Battery, I bought a Chargeverter, and am now looking for a generator. For weight purposes, I decided to stay in the 4kW range, and dual fuel for ability to store propane for the rare events (keep a few 20# tanks).

I was originally thinking the tri-fuel Firman from Costco, but 230# is a bit much. Dual fuel inverter Firman from Costco that is currently on sale is interesting, downsides are cost ($599 in-store), and 1.8 gal fuel tank (if I ever want to run on gasoline during an extended outtage). Because of the Chargeverter, I really don't need an inverter. Smaller (4kW) is the right size and easier to transport for power tools around the far reaches of my property (90% of the real use of the generator).

I narrowed it down to:
$450 120v Champion 201042 from Cabella's, 3,200 running watts on LPG
$550 120v/240v Wen DF475T from Wen, 3,500 running watts on LPG.

Other than warranty, spec wise, the Wen beats the Champion (especially with the 240v to reduce burden on Chargeverter), and if it were the same brand, I would pay the additional $100. Wen's warranty is 2 year parts only, whereas Champion and Firman have 1 year parts and labor plus 2 more years for parts.

I have been researching Champion and Firman, and have become comfortable with them. Is Wen the same in terms of reliability and customer service?

Note: $1,050 for the DF875iX Wen Inverter was also interesting. It could plug directly into the 15k, and bypass the chargeverter. 140# was a little much. I can lift 100#, but not 140#. If I hadn't already bought the Chargeverter, it would be a tough decision. Chargeverter does give me the flexibility to use any generator in an emergency, so I am good with it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Happy Wen GN4000i user here.

I've also had champion non inverter 3.5k in the past and they seemed fine but I mainly bought them because they were dirt cheap open box at tractor supply and I flipped them on Craigslist.

Ps the DF475T is $450 direct from WEN. I had zero issues ordering 4000 direct, wish I saw the 475... . Don't forget a magnetic drain plug.

Dual fuel inverter Firman from Costco that is currently on sale is interesting, downsides are cost ($599 in-store), and 1.8 gal fuel tank (if I ever want to run on gasoline during an extended outtage).

I just picked up one of these a couple weeks ago. So far it has been working great. I do wish it had a remote start (keyfob) like another dual fuel generator I have has. I will only ever use propane, so gas tank size is not an issue.

The other two you noted are not inverter generators, so they are sort of in a different class.

Last edited:
I currently own 2 champions - dual fuel inverter gens. I've owned 2 other non-inverter. All have been flawless, but 120V only.
I also own a Firman. It's from Costco, so not worried about it.

I've found that <5KW generators that are 240V are not ideal - it's often hard to get full 20A out of the 120V side.

Avoiding ethanol gas is important. And if you can't avoid it, draining the carb is the next best thing, but you really can't "skip" it.

The Wen warranty may be "better" - but it's all about how much trouble it is to use it versus Champion (and I don't know the answer to that).

Thanks for your experience.

I ended up getting the Wen. When I need max power, it will be 240v for the Chargeverter, and when I need 120v I only need 50% of the output for power tools. So getting max output at 120v is not an issue.

Back