diy solar

diy solar

Change Daly Smart BMS password - via BT app

DoronP

Hi All,
no new to building batteries, but new here :)
I tried to search but did not find the answer.
I have a 60A 4S LifePO4 Daly smart BMS
works well :)
one thing I cannot do is change the default password , I access the reset password screen
enter old and new password and press the "Determine" button but nothing happens
any idea?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-04-18 at 10.56.07 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-18 at 10.56.07 (2).jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 21
Hi All,
no new to building batteries, but new here :)
I tried to search but did not find the answer.
I have a 60A 4S LifePO4 Daly smart BMS
works well :)
one thing I cannot do is change the default password , I access the reset password screen
enter old and new password and press the "Determine" button but nothing happens
any idea?
I haven't tried changing the password, but some things can only be changed using the USB connection and the PC software.

I'm pretty sure the "password" is just baked into the app. The PC software doesn't require it, and from what I've seen of the over-the-wire protocol, it's not even a thing.

I will give some background why I am asking.
My smart BMS is part of my Overlanding SUV dual battery configuration.
The case is that I have a good friend that travels with me that has a similar configuration in his SUV.
we had a mix-up on monitoring and configuring his battery , before I knew he has a Daly smart BMS I set in a location in camp that only his BMS came up on the app.
I thought the BMS lost some of the configurations I had so I reconfigured it without knowing I wasn't working with my BMS :oops:
I want to prevent such cases in the future.

he did not like that at all ?

The case is that I have a good friend that travels with me that has a similar configuration in his SUV.
we had a mix-up on monitoring and configuring his battery , before I knew he has a Daly smart BMS I set in a location in camp that only his BMS came up on the app.
I thought the BMS lost some of the configurations I had so I reconfigured it without knowing I wasn't working with my BMS :oops:

Likely you should look at the board settings section of the app, it is used to connect to multiple BMS.

I don't think that there will be much you can do about this, other than unplug the bluetooth adapter when you're not expecting it to be used. I'm pretty sure they were designing for "easy" and didn't make security a serious concern.

Likely you should look at the board settings section of the app, it is used to connect to multiple BMS.
it works - this is how we found out
on another parking we were set differently and then I saw two BMS's on the app - that was when I understood the issue :)

I don't think that there will be much you can do about this, other than unplug the bluetooth adapter when you're not expecting it to be used. I'm pretty sure they were designing for "easy" and didn't make security a serious concern.
I agree, one can only hope

I am investigating, not only daly, but also JBD bms. It seems that all BMS manufacturers have neglected this issue, not only privacy, but mostly security. Not having a password, secure, customisable, is a big problem.
Each seller gives you a different answer. Even they are not aware of various bms firmware updates that solve or try to solve problems related to the lack of passwords. Even having a "universal" password that allows you to easily reset to the factory password is a security issue. I don't understand why the youtubers don't talk about it. They always prefer to dwell on the "temperature sensor" issue, which is now solved...

Providing good security costs money and complicates things and sadly almost always comes last on the features list.
the usage of smart BMS's is relatively low and the risk model as well , until someone will use that loophole to do some damage.
Good security needs a lot of time to get really adopted in niche areas.

Hello guys, did you found an answer here ? I also belive passwort change should be implemented. And btw: same brand 8S and 16S passwort change works. Support from Daly said it need to be implemented, maybe if all of you just ask for it they will change it.

There is no concept of a password in the BMS itself. If I have physical access to it, I can plug into a port and change whatever I want.

The "password" feature of the mobile app is entirely internal to that app -- it's basically just the app asking, "are you sure?" in a convoluted way.

I have two Daly 16s (fanless) and have successfully changed the password on each of them from the Android app "SMART BMS" via Bluetooth.

I can confirm this because I sometimes erroneously type in 111111 and I remember I set it to something different. I believe it requires 6 digits. I tried a 4 digit password to no avail.

tryb
I used 123456 and was able change the password to my own.
try accessing the bms with another phone. you'll see that the password doesn't matter. the physical bms has no concept of a password, it's just some weird thing they did in the app.

tryb

try accessing the bms with another phone. you'll see that the password doesn't matter. the physical bms has no concept of a password, it's just some weird thing they did in the app.
Do i get it right that even when setting a password via USB in the PC App anyone can access and change parameters via Bluetooth/Phone-App?
I would like to set a password for the bms in my camper so not anyone with a phone can change parameters even without having physical access to my battery.
Thanks a lot!

Back