diy solar

diy solar

Changed Shunt from 100 amp to 300 amp

Skinny76

So I upgraded my house battery to 4x100 ah batteries in a 2s2p configuration from a 200ah 12 volt. I had a battery monitor system, which worked well with a 100 amp shunt. I rewired the monitors to the new setup. Old monitors max at 100 amps in settings. New shunt is 300 amps. Voltage is accurate, but watt draw is showing close to 1/3 of what my growatt, multimeter and knowing my microwave draws "x" amount.

Should I upgrade the monitors? Need more info? Thanks for any help you can give.

Shunts work by measuring a voltage drop. That number is typically 50, 75 or 100mV when the shunt is at maximum rated current regardless of shunt size.

Since you're showing exactly 1/3 the current, then the 300A shunt likely uses the same 50, 75 or 100mV scale as your old 100A shunt, so it's only showing 1/3 the voltage drop it used to. The monitor needs to be configured for a 300A shunt. Some can't. If it can't be configured for it, it needs to be replaced.

Shunts work by measuring a voltage drop. That number is typically 50, 75 or 100mV when the shunt is at maximum rated current regardless of shunt size.

Since you're showing exactly 1/3 the current, then the 300A shunt likely uses the same 50, 75 or 100mV scale as your old 100A shunt, so it's only showing 1/3 the voltage drop it used to. The monitor needs to be configured for a 300A shunt. Some can't. If it can't be configured for it, it needs to be replaced.
Thanks. Yep. Max setting is 100 amp for sure. Going to look to replace.

Is there a calibration procedure? As long as you aren't over 100A draw, you might be able to calibrate to that shunt anyway.

Is there a calibration procedure? As long as you aren't over 100A draw, you might be able to calibrate to that shunt anyway.
I'm not sure. I do know there is only two options on the meter, 50 amp or 100 amp. I think I have found a pair of meters that are 300 amp and shouldn't take too much cutting to my existing mounting board, so minimal work to replace.

Back