diy solar

diy solar

Changing from 12 volt to 24 volt system inverter question.

Kauai Jim

Hello,

I'm looking for some advise. I am currently considering changing my 12 volt solar battery system to a 24 volt system to handle additional panels I’ve recently acquired. I started I currently have my 250Ah DIY batteries attached directly to my Giandel 2200 12-volt Inverter (PS-2200KSC), as the instructions recommend.

My question is, if I change my battery configuration to 24 volts, what is the best way to attach the 12 volt Inverter to my new 24 volt system? I understand that I could insert a DC to DC Buck Converter to drop the voltage from 24 volts to 12 volts before I attach it to the Inverter. I just don’t know if I should. If so, do I insert the Buck Converter directly in-line between the Batteries and the Inverter, or is there a better way to configure it? Or, is there a way that I can change my 12 volt Inverter into a 24 volt inverter? I want to be careful not to damage my Inverter or in any way reduce it’s effectiveness!

Thank you,

Kauai Jim

Hello,

I'm looking for some advise. I am currently considering changing my 12 volt solar battery system to a 24 volt system to handle additional panels I’ve recently acquired. I started I currently have my 250Ah DIY batteries attached directly to my Giandel 2200 12-volt Inverter (PS-2200KSC), as the instructions recommend.

My question is, if I change my battery configuration to 24 volts, what is the best way to attach the 12 volt Inverter to my new 24 volt system?

You don't.

I understand that I could insert a DC to DC Buck Converter to drop the voltage from 24 volts to 12 volts before I attach it to the Inverter.

Not a viable solution. have you priced 250A 24-12V converters?

I just don’t know if I should. If so, do I insert the Buck Converter directly in-line between the Batteries and the Inverter, or is there a better way to configure it? Or, is there a way that I can change my 12 volt Inverter into a 24 volt inverter? I want to be careful not to damage my Inverter or in any way reduce it’s effectiveness!

Thank you,

Kauai Jim

You must replace your 12V inverter with a 24V inverter.

Make sure your old panels are compatible with your new panels.

Yeah, no DC-DC converter cheaper than a whole new inverter is going to handle any kind of start-up currents and is going to cause constant nuisance low voltage disconnects, IF it doesn't break shortly under those conditions.

The only way to do what you are suggesting would be to still have a 12v battery/bank attached to the inverter, and use a smaller step down converter simply to charge the 12v from the 24v pack. This may or may not be a viable idea depending on the rest of the setup. I would say most would not recommend it simply because a 24volt inverter will be a simpler and more reliable setup in the long run.

But, if the 12v inverter is handling your AC power needs well enough as is, it's also possible you could simply get a different solar controller to allow you to expand the solar without changing your 12v system.

For example, i have a cheap PowMr all in one 12v inverter that has a solar VOC of ~450v. So devices ARE out there which will allow you to wire your panels to a higher voltage and still charge a 12v battery. But again... whether it's a good idea depends on everything else.

What's the full list of hardware you're using?

Thanks for all the great advise, I appreciate your help. That's what I thought, just was trying to keep my cost at a minimum and make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious.

Back